April 15th, 2013
08:23 AM ET

Interpol issues notice for escaped gangster

Interpol has issued an international wanted notice for a French gangster who authorities say used explosives as part of a brazen escape from a prison in Lille over the weekend, the organization said Monday.

Redoine Faid held five people, including four guards, at gunpoint at the detention center in the city in northern France on Saturday, officials said. He then burst his way to freedom by detonating explosives that destroyed five doors, penitentiary union spokesman Etienne Dobrometz told CNN affiliate BFMTV.

Interpol announced Monday that it issued its wanted notice, known as a red notice, within hours of Faid's escape. A European arrest warrant covering 26 countries also was issued for him Saturday.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Crime • France
December 10th, 2012
12:22 PM ET

Australian radio network cancels show after nurse's death

[Updated at 12:22 p.m. ET] King Edward VII’s Hospital has announced they have launched a memorial fund for Jacintha Saldanha.

"Jacintha Saldanha sadly died last week in tragic circumstances. She was an outstanding nurse whose loss has shocked and saddened everyone at the hospital," Lord Glenarthur, Chairman of King Edward VII's Hospital, said in a press release. "Following discussions with her family, we have now established the Jacintha Saldanha Memorial Fund in her memory."

[Updated at 10:58 a.m. ET] British Prime Minister David Cameron said on Monday that the death of Jacintha Saldanha, the nurse who committed suicide in London after the prank call from the Australian radio station 2day FM, was an "absolute tragedy."

[Posted at 7:46 a.m. ET] An Australian radio network at the heart of a hoax targeting Prince William's pregnant wife canceled the show responsible for the prank on Monday, expressing deep regret following the death of a nurse who took a call from the DJs involved.

The two DJs "will not return to the airwaves until further notice," the statement from the network, Southern Cross Austereo, said.

The company also suspended all prank calls, pulled advertising and ordered a comprehensive review of relevant policies and processes.

The DJs, Mel Greig and Michael Christian, who were impersonating Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles, called the hospital Tuesday and gained information about the condition of Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge - which they subsequently played on air.

On Friday, the nurse who transferred the call through to the ward, Jacintha Saldanha, was found dead after apparently committing suicide.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Prince William • United Kingdom
October 28th, 2012
04:54 AM ET

London cops arrest man in connection with Savile sex abuse case

A London man has been arrested on suspicion of sexual offenses by the Metropolitan police who are investigating the Jimmy Savile abuse claims, according to a statement issued by Scotland Yard. The police say the
individual falls under the strand of the investigation termed 'Savile and others.'

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Justice • World
October 26th, 2012
11:14 AM ET

More Armstrong fallout: No winners for Tour de France from '99 to '05

Editor's note: This weekend CNN airs "The world according to Lance Armstrong," a documentary that delves into the doping accusations against the former champion cyclist. Watch it on CNN TV at 9 p.m. and midnight ET on Saturday and 3 a.m. ET on Sunday. For more, here are PDF files of USADA's decision and Armstrong's response

There will officially be no winner of the Tour de France for the years 1999-2005 after cyclist Lance Armstrong was disqualified for doping, cycling’s governing body, the International Cycling Union, announced Friday.

“The Management Committee decided not to award victories to any other rider or upgrade other placings in any of the affected events,” the group said.

FULL POST

Post by:
Filed under: Cycling • Lance Armstrong
Dutch arrest 12 thought to be ready to launch terror attack
December 25th, 2010
08:49 AM ET

Dutch arrest 12 thought to be ready to launch terror attack

Dutch authorities have arrested 12 men of Somali origin they believe were about to carry out a terrorist attack, authorities said Saturday.

The country's intelligence service provided information that led to the arrests in Rotterdam, Public Prosecution Service spokesman Wim de Bruin told CNN.

No weapons or explosives were found, he said. The suspects are in police custody.

"The attack was said to be imminent so the national police started an investigation which led to the arrest of 12 Somalis later on Friday in Rotterdam," de Bruin said. "We are not sure about what the target was, how they were going to carry out the attack or when."

A Dutch counterterrorism office spokeswoman said the immediate threat to the country has been removed and the terror alert level will remain "limited," or relatively low.

"We are now following the information that comes out of the interrogations with these 12 individuals to see if there still remains a threat from this plot," said Judith Sluiter of the National Coordinator for Counterterrorism.

The men, between ages 19 and 48, were arrested in various locations. Police have searched a pawn shop, four homes and two hotel rooms, de Bruin said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Netherlands • Somalia • Terrorism
WikiLeaks rival plans Monday launch
December 12th, 2010
11:38 PM ET

WikiLeaks rival plans Monday launch

Arguing that WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has "weakened the organization," a newly organized rival to the website known for leaking official secrets says it will launch Monday.

The founders of Openleaks.org say they are former WikiLeaks members unhappy with the way WikiLeaks is being run under Assange.

"It has weakened the organization," one of those founders, Daniel Domscheit-Berg says in a documentary airing Sunday night on Swedish television network SVT. He said WikiLeaks has become "too much focused on one person, and one person is always much weaker than an organization."

In an e-mail to CNN, Domscheit-Berg said the group hopes to launch its site Monday.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: WikiLeaks
December 8th, 2010
12:11 PM ET

Officials: Swedish prosecution authority's site hacked

The Swedish prosecution authority's website was attacked, officials said Wednesday, a day after WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange was arrested in the United Kingdom on a Swedish warrant.

Prosecutors did not say who they thought was behind the apparent denial-of-service attack, which has been reported to the police, they said.

The website is working again, and no other systems have been affected, the statement said.



Post by:
Filed under: Sweden
August 31st, 2010
11:47 AM ET

WikiLeaks' Assange questioned by prosecutors

[Updated at 11:47 a.m.] Swedish prosecutors will not rule Tuesday on charges against WikiLeaks editor-in-chief Julian Assange, a prosecution representative said, reversing an earlier statement.

[Posted at 9:13 a.m.] Swedish prosecutors questioned Julian Assange, the editor-in-chief of the whistleblower website WikiLeaks, for about an hour Monday, his lawyer said Tuesday, following complaints against him from two women.

"He maintains that he is completely innocent," his lawyer Leif Silbersky told CNN.

Prosecutors will decide Tuesday about charges against him, Gun Sjogren at the prosecution authority told CNN.

FULL POST

Post by:
Filed under: WikiLeaks