Two people were killed and at least 15 injured Saturday in Cairo, officials said, as Egyptians in two rival cities took to the streets to vent their anger over court verdicts in a controversial case involving deadly riots at a soccer game last year.
Health Ministry spokesman Ahmed Osman said one protester had been killed in violence outside the Semiramis Intercontinental hotel in downtown Cairo. He later confirmed a second death.
Five others have been injured in the clashes by the hotel, he said. Another 10 are suffering smoke inhalation.
A fire gutted the three-story building housing the Egyptian Football Association in a wealthy Cairo neighborhood, as soccer fans looked on. Next door, an exclusive club for policemen was also ablaze.
Former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, his two sons and his former interior minister will be retried April 13, Egypt's state-run news agency Mena said Sunday.
Mubarak is serving a life sentence for his role in the killings of peaceful protesters during the revolution that eventually deposed him.
A Syrian rebel brigade is blaming"extremists" for a grisly massacre now gone viral on the Internet, and it vowed to punish the perpetrators.
In the video that surfaced this week, an armed group of angry men forced a smaller group of frightened unarmed men to the ground. They yelled at them and kicked them, then they opened fire with automatic rifles until their bodies went lifeless.
The latest horrifying video from Syria shows yet another attack on a bakery where innocent people were just trying to buy bread.
Screaming men are seen hauling the body of a child into a taxi as other victims zip past. Mangled bodies lie alongside piles of blood-soaked bread in the grainy images posted on social media.
The number of people missing after flash floods swept cars off roads in the eastern Australian city of Toowoomba rose to more than 70 on Monday, with eight peple confirmed dead, police in the state of Queensland reported.
The latest flooding hit Toowoomba, about 125 kilometers (80 miles) west of the state capital Brisbane and considerably south of other areas hit by recent floods. The Queensland Police Service ?confirmed that 72 people are now missing in the areas of Toowomba and Lockyer Creek, and Chantelle Rule-Murphy, spokesperson for Emergency Management Queensland, said eight people have now been confirmed dead.
Toowoomba is the biggest inland city in Queensland, a region that was already reeling from one of the worst floods in its history. Authorities there are conducting several search-and-rescue operations, and Australia's military has committed four helicopters to those efforts, Rule-Murphy said.
This blog – This Just In – will no longer be updated. Looking for the freshest news from CNN? Go to our ever-popular CNN.com homepage on your desktop or your mobile device, and join the party at @cnnbrk, the world's most-followed account for news.