December 5th, 2012
12:52 PM ET

Morsy supporters, anti-government protesters clash in Cairo

[Update, 12:52 p.m. ET] Two protesters have been killed Wednesday in clashes between supporters
and opponents of the government of Egyptian President Mohamed Morsy, according to a spokesman for the Egyptian Ministry of Health, Dr. Mohammed Sultan.

[Update, 12:49 p.m. ET] Thousands of supporters of Egyptian President Mohamed Morsy clashed with anti-government protesters outside the presidential palace in Cairo Wednesday, driving them from the grounds where they had set up camp.

Morsy opponents pushed back, charging Morsy supporters with Molotov cocktails. Both sides exchanged rocks and fireworks before the anti-Morsy protesters were pushed back again.

It was unclear if anyone was hurt in the latest exchange. Earlier, the Ministry of Health said four people were injured in the scuffles.

Q & A:What's driving Egypt unrest?

[Initial post, 7:31 a.m. ET] Egypt's capital boiled Wednesday as protesters supporting and opposing President Mohamed Morsy geared up for demonstrations.

People angered by Morsy continued a sit-in in Cairo's Tahrir Square after a night marked by violent clashes outside the presidential palace.

Police fired tear gas Tuesday night after protesters broke through barbed wire around the palace building and hurled chairs and rocks at retreating officers. Opposition forces later were calling for a march toward the palace.

After the initial clashes, police withdrew behind fences and the large demonstration was peaceful for several hours. A few dozen protesters and a scattering of tents remained outside the Itihadiya palace Wednesday.

The Muslim Brotherhood, the pro-Morsy Islamist movement, called for a rally in front of the presidential palace Wednesday afternoon in support of the country's leader and against his foes in the street.

FULL STORY
July 16th, 2012
12:30 PM ET

Kidnapper in Egypt releases two Americans, tour guide, official says

A kidnapper in Egypt has released two Americans and their Egyptian tour guide, said Gen. Ahmed Bakr, head of security in North Sinai.

"They are at security headquarters with us now, in good condition. The negotiations succeeded, but we did not give in to the kidnapper's demands," he said.

The hostages included Michel Louis, the pastor of a Pentecostal church in Boston; Lisa Alphonse, a parishioner at another American church; and the Egyptian tour guide.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Egypt
July 16th, 2012
10:30 AM ET

Official: No progress as Egyptian intelligence officers meet with kidnapper

Cairo (CNN) - Egyptian intelligence officers met twice over the past three days with the kidnappers of two Americans and an Egyptian tour guide, but negotiations are at a "stalemate," a senior Egyptian government official told CNN on Monday.

Negotiators have rejected a kidnapper's demand that authorities release his imprisoned uncle immediately, the official said.

"This will not happen. He has to release the hostages first, or else every Bedouin in Sinai will go on a kidnap spree," the official said. "Egypt is a country of law, and this is for the good of the nation. The negotiations are at a stalemate, yet will continue to pursue a resolution."

Two intelligence officers visited the alleged kidnapper, Germy Abu Masouh, on Friday and on Sunday, and have communicated with him by phone, the official said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Egypt • Massachusetts • U.S.
June 19th, 2012
06:09 PM ET

Military official disputes report of Mubarak's clinical death

[Updated at 6:09 p.m. ET] Conflicting reports emerged late Tuesday over whether the 84-year-old former president of Egypt, Hosni Mubarak, had died.

The state-run Middle East News Agency, citing medical sources, said he was declared clinically dead shortly after arriving at a military hospital in Cairo, where he was taken after suffering a stroke and cardiac arrest earlier in the day.

But Gen. Mamdouh Shahin, a member of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, told CNN, "He is not clinically dead as reported, but his health is deteriorating and he is in critical condition."

Fast facts about Hosni Mubarak

Adel Saeed, the official spokesman of the Egyptian prosecutor, had said earlier, "We were informed by prison authority that Mubarak's heart has stopped and they used electric shocks and CPR to resurrect him. He is now on an artificial respirator and doctors from the armed forces and International Medical Center will inspect him."

Nile TV reported that Mubarak had suffered a stroke.

Elizabeth Cohen, CNN's senior medical correspondent, said that "clinically dead" usually refers to someone who is brain-dead. In such a case, an electroencephalogram would indicate no real brain activity, she said.

Mubarak was sentenced to life in prison June 2 for the killing of pro-democracy demonstrators last year. He already was suffering from health problems and attended court on a gurney.

His health has been reported to be in decline since he was ousted as president of Egypt in February 2011. On June 11, a prosecutor's spokesman said Mubrak's health deteriorated after the verdict, and that defibrillators had been used several times to revive him "due to heart complications."

Mubarak's latest health crisis came on a day when both candidates who participated in a presidential runoff claimed victory.

iReport.com: Protests in Egypt

FULL STORY
Former Egyptian leader Hosni Mubarak in 'full coma,' official says
Ousted Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak sits inside a cage in a courtroom during his verdict hearing in Cairo on June 2, 2012.
June 11th, 2012
07:48 AM ET

Former Egyptian leader Hosni Mubarak in 'full coma,' official says

Former Egyptian leader Hosni Mubarak was in a coma Monday, a spokesman for Egypt's Interior Ministry said.

"Mubarak entered today into full coma. His two sons Gamal and Alaa submitted a request to the prison authority to move beside him and it has been accepted. His health has been deteriorating since the verdict, with high blood pressure, problems breathing, and irregular heart beat," Interior Ministry spokesman Alaa Mahmoud said.

Mubarak's lawyer has submitted a request that he be moved from prison to a private hospital, Mahmoud said.

Mubarak, 84, is in a Cairo prison hospital after being sentenced to life in prison for the killing of pro-democracy demonstrators last year. Mubarak was already suffering from health problems and attended court on a gurney.


FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Egypt
March 18th, 2012
06:42 PM ET

Overcrowding at Coptic pope's viewing leads to 3 deaths, dozens of injuries

Overcrowding inside a cathedral where Coptic Christians had gathered to pay last respects to their pope caused a stampede that left three people dead and more than 50 injured, a health official said.

Coptic Pope Shenouda III, who led the Coptic community for more than four decades, died Saturday. He was 88.

On Sunday, thousands of Christians paid their respects to him at the Coptic cathedral in Cairo where his body went on display in an elaborate golden crown and red and golden robes. The mass of people inside the cathedral prompted the stampede, according to Deputy Health Minister Hisham Sheeha, who said three were killed and 52 injured, most suffering from lack of oxygen and low blood pressure.

Shenouda's funeral will be held early this week and is expected to bring millions of Christians onto the streets of Egypt at a time when tensions with the Muslim majority are high.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Egypt
Protests escalate in Egypt after deadly soccer riot
A masked Egyptian protester prepares to throw back a tear gas canister fired by security forces during clashes in Cairo.
February 3rd, 2012
08:31 AM ET

Protests escalate in Egypt after deadly soccer riot

Violent clashes reignited in Cairo on Friday between Egyptian police and protesters angered by reports of inadequate security at a soccer match that devolved into a riot this week, leaving 79 people dead.

Thousands of protesters gathered outside the Interior Ministry, prompting riot police to deploy tear gas for fear the men - some of them masked - would storm the building.

"The people demand the downfall of the field marshal," chanted the protesters, who waved flags from the popular soccer team Al-Ahly, which was playing in the game Wednesday when the riot broke out.

Gen. Marwan Mustapha, a spokesman for the Interior Ministry, said protesters who had taken over a government taxation building were throwing Molotov cocktails from the roof. More than 100 security forces were injured, including several by birdshot pellets, Mustapha said.

Similar clashes on Thursday left two dead in Suez and a military officer dead in Cairo, said Adel al Adawi, a Health Ministry spokesman.

FULL STORY
Anger flares in Egypt after 79 die in soccer riot
Al-Masry fans chase Al-Ahly players during riots that erupted after the football match.
February 2nd, 2012
11:59 AM ET

Anger flares in Egypt after 79 die in soccer riot

[Updated at 11:59 a.m. ET] Egyptians began three days of mourning Thursday for the 79 people who perished the previous day at a violent soccer riot, as the nation's fledgling parliament erupted in anger over the national tragedy.

The speaker of the parliament ordered an end to a live broadcast of Thursday's parliament session, so heated was the debate. But the order was retracted after angry lawmakers made their objections known.

A deputy of the Muslim Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party demanded the resignation of the interior minister, holding him responsible for the loss of lives. Another deputy accused security guards of allowing fans to bring weapons into the stadium in Port Said.

A committee will investigate the circumstances that caused the deadly riot Wednesday at the match pitting Cairo's Al-Ahly team against Al-Masry of Port Said.

When the referee blew the final whistle of Wednesday's match in Port Said, the score was Al-Masry 3, Al-Ahly 1. Thousands of Al-Masry fans stormed the pitch despite their home team's hard-fought victory.

Rival fans attacked one another with rocks and chairs. Many of those who died fell from bleachers inside the stadium, said Ahmed Saeed, an official from the Port Said governor's office. Others suffocated.

FULL STORY
Post by: ,
Filed under: Egypt • Soccer • Sports
73 killed, hundreds injured in Egypt soccer riot, official says
February 1st, 2012
02:45 PM ET

73 killed, hundreds injured in Egypt soccer riot, official says

[Updated at 7:29 p.m. ET] Political tensions flared Wednesday after more than 70 people were killed and hundreds more were injured when fans rushed the field and rioted at a soccer game in Egypt.

It was unclear whether intense sports rivalries or political strife caused the clashes in the northeastern city of Port Said.

But hours after the fighting, protesters in Cairo chanted, "Down with military rule" and "Tomorrow we come, we take the military down." And the secretary-general of the Muslim Brotherhood party blamed Egypt's military for the deaths.

Egypt's interior ministry blamed fans for provoking police.

"There were organized groups in the crowds that purposely provoked the police all through the match and escalated the violence and stormed onto the field after the final whistle," Gen. Marwan Mustapha said. "Our policemen tried to contain them but not engage."

At least 47 people were arrested after the clashes, he said.

FULL STORY
January 17th, 2012
08:33 AM ET

Syrian defector speaks of devastation; slams Arab League mission

A member of Syria's Parliament has defected to Egypt and spoken of leaving behind a "ghost town full of horror."

Imad Ghalioun has represented the city of Homs for five years. He defected with his immediate family two weeks ago after, he says, he convinced the al-Assad regime that he was traveling on business.

Ghalioun told CNN that many senior officials want to defect but it may be harder now because the al-Assad regime banned officials from traveling the day after he left Syria.

"What is happening in Homs is a crisis, a ghost town full of horror," he said.

"The humanitarian situation is dangerous and no basic services, food supplies, or equipped hospitals. Residents can not move from (one) neighborhood to the other because of snipers that kill people. People are sitting at home wondering if they will be bombed."

Ghalioun was withering in his appraisal of Arab League monitors.

"We expected the Arab monitors to stop the regime's killing machine, but what happened is that they came to what seemed like a sightseeing trip," he said.

"Some went to visit the governor; others spent most of their time in five-star hotels. We wanted them to meet the activists on the ground, visit the prisoners and the injured and the families of the martyrs. They did not do that, maybe some wanted to do that but could not do it."

FULL STORY
January 2nd, 2012
09:15 AM ET

Killing continues in Syria, Arab League says

Syrian tanks have withdrawn from residential areas in cities, but there are still snipers out, the head of the Arab League said Monday.

"There is still gunfire, there are still snipers and we hope that all that will disappear," Nabil el-Araby told reporters, adding: "There is gunfire from various directions which makes it hard to tell who is shooting.

"There is no doubt that killing is ongoing but I can't pinpoint the numbers," he said.

Tanks remain on the outskirts of cities, he said after an advance team of Arab League monitors returned from the violence-wracked country and began preparing an initial report.

Arab League observers went into Syria in December after the United Nations estimated that 5,000 people had been killed since March in an uprising against the government.

President Bashar al-Assad's government says it is cracking down on armed terrorists.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Arab Spring • Syria
October 10th, 2011
09:12 AM ET

Death toll rises in Egypt Christian clashes as tension continues

The number of dead in clashes between the army and pro-Coptic Christian protesters in Egypt over the weekend rose to at least 25, with at least 272 wounded, a Healthy Ministry official told CNN Monday.

But conflicting reports from the two sides indicated the death toll could be as high as 29 in violence that an army spokesman speculated may have been guided by a "hidden hand" associated with neither side.

Many of the dead and injured were crushed by speeding military vehicles, said Dr. Adel al-Dawi of the ministry.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Egypt
October 9th, 2011
03:29 PM ET

Officials: 20 dead as Egyptian forces clash with protesters

At least 20 people were killed Sunday when Egyptian army forces clashed with thousands of people protesting more than a week after the burning of a Coptic Christian church, officials said.

Dr. Sheriff Doss, the head of Egypt's chief association of Coptics, said that 17 civilians died and 40 were injured.

In addition, three army officers were killed and at least 20 were injured, according to Alla Mahmoud, an interior ministry spokesman.

The protesters - many of them Coptics or supportive of their cause - had been marching peacefully toward the Egyptian state television building, demanding equality and protection of Coptic places of worship.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Egypt • Protest • Religion