March 10th, 2010

Update: Feldman says Corey Haim's death a 'tragic loss'

Corey Feldman, left, and Corey Haim in 2007.

[Updated 2:18 p.m.] Corey Feldman’s publicist Stacy Hess issued a statement from Feldman on the death of his friend Corey Haim:

"I was awakened at 8:30 this morning by my brother and sister knocking on my bedroom door. They informed me of the loss of my brother Corey Haim. My eyes weren't even open all the way when the tears started streaming down my face. I am so sorry for Corey, his mother Judy, his family, my family, all of our fans, and of course my son who I will have to find a way to explain this to when he gets home from school.

"This is a tragic loss of a wonderful, beautiful, tormented soul, who will always be my brother, family, and best friend. We must all take this as a lesson in how we treat the people we share this world with while they are still here to make a difference. Please respect our families as we struggle and grieve through this difficult time. I hope the art Corey has left behind will be remembered as the passion of that for which he truly lived."

[Updated 1:27 p.m.] Mark Heaslip, Corey Haim's agent, talked to HLN's Christi Paul about the child star's death, including that he was sick with flu-like symptoms Tuesday night.

[Updated 9:43 a.m.] We now have a full story on Haim's death, including background on his previous battles with drugs.

[Updated 8:51 a.m.] Haim, 38, was taken to Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, California, where he was pronounced dead at 2:15 a.m. PT (5:15 a.m. ET), Los Angeles County Coroner's spokeswoman Lt. Cheryl MacWillie told CNN. The  hospital is a mile from Haim's apartment. Police Sgt. Frank Albarran told CNN the death appears to be accidental, possibly an overdose.

Haim's most famous role was in the 1987 movie "The Lost Boys," in which he appeared with his frequent co-star, Corey Feldman.

[Posted 8:40 a.m.] Actor Corey Haim, who appeared in a number of movies during the 1980s, died early Wednesday of a possible drug  overdose, Los Angeles police said.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. Geoff

Sad. Should've accepted help.

March 10, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  2. Paula

Corey Haim was a mess. He was never going to get his act together and didn't want to. I feel sorry for his family, but at some point family has to say enough. Ever watched Intervention? They're enablers. Just like that girl who died in centreville, Virginia. Her parents knew she was doing heroin in her room. All her needles and stuff were all over her room. But the chose to blame someone else for her death when they, themselves, killed her by ignoring her heroin habit because rich kids don't do heroin. Corey Haim's family should have stepped up.

March 10, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  3. Hanna

OMG! I am so sad to hear this. He was one of my favorite actors growing up. RIP

March 10, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  4. 80's Kid too

This is totally sad and I am not trivializing his death as drug addiction is a serious problem and I do hope his death is not in vain.

But, at least now I finally know which Cory is which...

Also, I am sure he had plenty of help and has ultimately failed in the worst way...

March 10, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  5. mike

i grew up watching his great movies!

March 10, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  6. Michael Lucius

After watching The Two Coreys, I was afraid something like this would happen and am so terribly sorry that it did. My heart goes out to his mother and family and to Corey Feldman as well.

March 10, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  7. Brent Korte

Goonies was more popular than lost boys.

March 10, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  8. Bill

Events like this will continue to happen is situations where there are no boundaries. Plenty of money and caught up in the drug scene. Very sad ending to what once was a promising career.

March 10, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  9. Mary

This will never end until law enforcement agencies and the American Medical Association crack down on all the prescription drugs that are being far too freely dispensed in Hollywood. There seems to be no control whatever of these substances. Let's decriminalize marijuana and focus instead on these pharmaceuticals.

March 10, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  10. Ray

So Sad. The "lost boy" is really lost this time. RIP!

March 10, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  11. Mike Booth

This guy was a stud.... I feel for Mr. Feldman, first Michael now Corey, Whoa....

March 10, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  12. Lou

Not surprised at all (especially with the way he looks in the photo attached to this story). How many times do we have to feel sorry for actors who ordinary "Joe's" would love to be?? This guy has put his family and friends through hell with all his problems-I feel sorry for them most of all. Lives CAN be turned around (IE; Robert Downey Jr.)

March 10, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  13. Franklyn R

SO Sad you will be Missed .....RIP Corey

March 10, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  14. Dan

Kinda surprised.....I thought it would be the other Corey

March 10, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jeanine

What a shame. When will people learn??? Drugs take them away too soon..... RIP Corey Haim. Thoughts go out to his family and friends. May he no longer feel his emotional pain and suffering... May he rest in peace.

March 10, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |