March 10th, 2010

Update: Feldman says Corey Haim's death a 'tragic loss'

Corey Feldman, left, and Corey Haim in 2007.

[Updated 2:18 p.m.] Corey Feldman’s publicist Stacy Hess issued a statement from Feldman on the death of his friend Corey Haim:

"I was awakened at 8:30 this morning by my brother and sister knocking on my bedroom door. They informed me of the loss of my brother Corey Haim. My eyes weren't even open all the way when the tears started streaming down my face. I am so sorry for Corey, his mother Judy, his family, my family, all of our fans, and of course my son who I will have to find a way to explain this to when he gets home from school.

"This is a tragic loss of a wonderful, beautiful, tormented soul, who will always be my brother, family, and best friend. We must all take this as a lesson in how we treat the people we share this world with while they are still here to make a difference. Please respect our families as we struggle and grieve through this difficult time. I hope the art Corey has left behind will be remembered as the passion of that for which he truly lived."

[Updated 1:27 p.m.] Mark Heaslip, Corey Haim's agent, talked to HLN's Christi Paul about the child star's death, including that he was sick with flu-like symptoms Tuesday night.

[Updated 9:43 a.m.] We now have a full story on Haim's death, including background on his previous battles with drugs.

[Updated 8:51 a.m.] Haim, 38, was taken to Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, California, where he was pronounced dead at 2:15 a.m. PT (5:15 a.m. ET), Los Angeles County Coroner's spokeswoman Lt. Cheryl MacWillie told CNN. The  hospital is a mile from Haim's apartment. Police Sgt. Frank Albarran told CNN the death appears to be accidental, possibly an overdose.

Haim's most famous role was in the 1987 movie "The Lost Boys," in which he appeared with his frequent co-star, Corey Feldman.

[Posted 8:40 a.m.] Actor Corey Haim, who appeared in a number of movies during the 1980s, died early Wednesday of a possible drug  overdose, Los Angeles police said.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. Marc

There is nothing 'sad' about this. He was a troubled man who engaged in reckless and destructive behavior, abandoned by those who supposedly cared about him.

The fame game of Hollywood claims another victim.

March 10, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  2. EdINNC

Tragic to say the least. One of the BEST actors and personalities, of our time when the movies were still movies, not animations...He was a good soul, in a tragic situation. REST in PEACE Cory....Long live your memory

March 10, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  3. Wesley

He was an actor with great potential... Hollywood has chewed him up and left him on the sidewalk...
    My love to his friends and family

Wes from Belgium

March 10, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  4. Al

WE are responsible and so is the media, and Hollywood, for pushing children to be 'actors' i.e. not themselves, when all they should be doing is being kids and developing their own identities rather than constanting being "on". How many can we count before we start connecting the dots and seeing our own selfish greed for entertainment as the root cause of all this?

March 10, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  5. Monica

It's so sad my sister told me the news this morning..My best friend and i were remembering corey haim in license to drive and lucas our prayers and thoughts are with the family.- rest in peace and you will be greatly missed! by us Dahlia Monica and roger

March 10, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  6. meli

what a waste...

March 10, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  7. Ariana

This is usually what happens to child stars. Children should be outside playing, not working 15 hour work days in Hollywood. May he finally rest in peace.

March 10, 2010 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  8. Steve

This is a really sad day. I was a HUGE fan of Corey. I still remember when I was very young living in a small town in IL going to see the movie Lucas. I was so excited because the movie was filmed in a town near my town. That is when I first noticed how good of an actor Croey Haim really was. Then came a string of awesome films by him. My thoughts and prayers go out to his familyand friends in this tough time. Corey you will never be forgotten. I will miss you dearly. R.I.P. my friend.

March 10, 2010 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  9. elidude

A good guy who happened to be an addict in Hollywood which is a deadly combo. Sad.

March 10, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  10. SILVIA RANGEL

This is very sad news ... we are going to miss him.. he was a great actor... I love all of this movies.. "Lucas" was one of the best.. showed a lot of the problems the kids live in school.. how hard it is to fit in.. no matter how time goes by.. the story in the "Lucas" movie.. still is lived by most of our kids... It is sad ,.. to see how no one reach out to him.. in his depression... since the reality show.. we could see it. how he needed help.. and no one reach out to him.. We will miss him.... is sad to see one more gone.. Rest in Peace Corey.. to your Family our prayers. .. We'll miss you. Silvia

March 10, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  11. Mike

RIP Corey... you were truly a gift to hollywood.

March 10, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  12. Fred

Good night funny man.

March 10, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  13. lelandsummers

You already knew the end to this sad story. He was a out of control train just waiting to wreck. He seemed sincere in trying to be clean but was not strong enough.

March 10, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  14. Stephanie

Such a terrible shame....... RIP Corey.... 🙁

March 10, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  15. Gee Gog

Once you reach the top, there's nowhere else to go. Pity.

March 10, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |