March 10th, 2010

Update: Feldman says Corey Haim's death a 'tragic loss'

Corey Feldman, left, and Corey Haim in 2007.

[Updated 2:18 p.m.] Corey Feldman’s publicist Stacy Hess issued a statement from Feldman on the death of his friend Corey Haim:

"I was awakened at 8:30 this morning by my brother and sister knocking on my bedroom door. They informed me of the loss of my brother Corey Haim. My eyes weren't even open all the way when the tears started streaming down my face. I am so sorry for Corey, his mother Judy, his family, my family, all of our fans, and of course my son who I will have to find a way to explain this to when he gets home from school.

"This is a tragic loss of a wonderful, beautiful, tormented soul, who will always be my brother, family, and best friend. We must all take this as a lesson in how we treat the people we share this world with while they are still here to make a difference. Please respect our families as we struggle and grieve through this difficult time. I hope the art Corey has left behind will be remembered as the passion of that for which he truly lived."

[Updated 1:27 p.m.] Mark Heaslip, Corey Haim's agent, talked to HLN's Christi Paul about the child star's death, including that he was sick with flu-like symptoms Tuesday night.

[Updated 9:43 a.m.] We now have a full story on Haim's death, including background on his previous battles with drugs.

[Updated 8:51 a.m.] Haim, 38, was taken to Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, California, where he was pronounced dead at 2:15 a.m. PT (5:15 a.m. ET), Los Angeles County Coroner's spokeswoman Lt. Cheryl MacWillie told CNN. The  hospital is a mile from Haim's apartment. Police Sgt. Frank Albarran told CNN the death appears to be accidental, possibly an overdose.

Haim's most famous role was in the 1987 movie "The Lost Boys," in which he appeared with his frequent co-star, Corey Feldman.

[Posted 8:40 a.m.] Actor Corey Haim, who appeared in a number of movies during the 1980s, died early Wednesday of a possible drug  overdose, Los Angeles police said.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. Dan B

I grew up watching the two Coreys and you always had a favorite, Haim was mine. I know he faced many demons over the years, but you can not deny the impact he had on the kids of the 80's. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. A very sad loss. Rest in peace.

March 10, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  2. so many child stars

Like so many other child stars dead why before there time IE Dana Michelle Plato

March 10, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  3. JerBear

Unfortunate news. He had a rocky life, but still not the way to go. RIP Corey

March 10, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  4. MaryBeth

I'm so sad to hear about this. I loved that guy & was hoping he'd pull through. RIP Corey, you'll be missed. :'(

March 10, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. Hector

Here I was hoping Corey Haim would have started sobering up after his stint with the Lost Boys 2. His demon days are over. Misunderstood and adored by many. Rest in peace Corey...

Going to watch a Haim movies all weekend now. Heres to remebering..

March 10, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  6. J

pathetic.. another loser throws away his God-given talent and good fortune by doing drugs.

March 10, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  7. john errickson

r.i.p.

its truly sad when the only time we pay attention to drug addiction is when someone we think is relavant dies. some people just cant get it together.

March 10, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  8. JohhnyB

Still a kid at 38. Tough luck but, as "Hollywod usual", self-inflicted.

March 10, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  9. reebles

I wanted to marry Mr. Haim one day. I watched he and Corey F's show a couple years back faithfully. Those two were my favs!! I have their movies and everything. RIP Corey Haim. Its been a long journey for you and you had such a hard time getting your fame back..so sad that drugs took you down that road...

xoxoxoxo. RIP

March 10, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  10. Frank

It's sad that he never really got his life turned around. I grew up a big fan of his movies. RIP

March 10, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  11. joe

its so sad.. I'm gonna go rent Lost Boys and watch it right now.....

(not)

March 10, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  12. Fan

To. His Mom God Bless You!! You did what you could!!

March 10, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  13. Leigh

RIP Corey.....You will not be forgotten.
    Have a peaceful journey and we will see you on the other side.

March 10, 2010 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  14. TSOhio

So sad to hear about Corey. The Two Coreys were such a big part of the 80s. We'll miss him. My heart goes out to Corey Feldman. He tried to help his friend.

March 10, 2010 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  15. aj

Corey personified the 80s for me and I am always filled with joy and nostalgia when I see one of his movies. He will leave with that legacy forever intact. Great talent, and he seemed like a decent person. I hope he has moved on to a better place.

March 10, 2010 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |