March 10th, 2010

Update: Feldman says Corey Haim's death a 'tragic loss'

Corey Feldman, left, and Corey Haim in 2007.

[Updated 2:18 p.m.] Corey Feldman’s publicist Stacy Hess issued a statement from Feldman on the death of his friend Corey Haim:

"I was awakened at 8:30 this morning by my brother and sister knocking on my bedroom door. They informed me of the loss of my brother Corey Haim. My eyes weren't even open all the way when the tears started streaming down my face. I am so sorry for Corey, his mother Judy, his family, my family, all of our fans, and of course my son who I will have to find a way to explain this to when he gets home from school.

"This is a tragic loss of a wonderful, beautiful, tormented soul, who will always be my brother, family, and best friend. We must all take this as a lesson in how we treat the people we share this world with while they are still here to make a difference. Please respect our families as we struggle and grieve through this difficult time. I hope the art Corey has left behind will be remembered as the passion of that for which he truly lived."

[Updated 1:27 p.m.] Mark Heaslip, Corey Haim's agent, talked to HLN's Christi Paul about the child star's death, including that he was sick with flu-like symptoms Tuesday night.

[Updated 9:43 a.m.] We now have a full story on Haim's death, including background on his previous battles with drugs.

[Updated 8:51 a.m.] Haim, 38, was taken to Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, California, where he was pronounced dead at 2:15 a.m. PT (5:15 a.m. ET), Los Angeles County Coroner's spokeswoman Lt. Cheryl MacWillie told CNN. The  hospital is a mile from Haim's apartment. Police Sgt. Frank Albarran told CNN the death appears to be accidental, possibly an overdose.

Haim's most famous role was in the 1987 movie "The Lost Boys," in which he appeared with his frequent co-star, Corey Feldman.

[Posted 8:40 a.m.] Actor Corey Haim, who appeared in a number of movies during the 1980s, died early Wednesday of a possible drug  overdose, Los Angeles police said.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. Matt

RIP Corey, may God be with your family and friends

March 10, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jen

just goes to show with so many of the famous dying...money doesn't buy happiness and these stories make me even happier being me

March 10, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jeff Goldblum

So sad. He was my favorite goonie.

March 10, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  4. Amy

I am really sad to hear he has passed away. He was so cute and a great actor.
    One of my favorite celebs. I loved watching him on The Two Coreys.

Sad you are gone Corey. Way to young. 🙁

March 10, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  5. UberSpork

Aw. I grew up watching his movies. Always very tragic when drugs take someone. RIP, Corey.

March 10, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  6. Cris

Wow! Really sorry to hear that Corey has passed. RIP. I loved his movies in the 80's . May God give hisfamily and friends comfort during this difficult time.

luv ya Corey!

March 10, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  7. spiffypants

This is so sad. I grew up watching him and feldman. RIP Corey

March 10, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  8. Anonymous

Knew Corey years ago, back around the time of "Murphy's Romance". We'd ride four wheelers around, pick up girls, bullshit, get into trouble, what not. Lost contact, but I later worked with other people who knew him. Weird day for me, and imagine everyone else who knew him way back when.

March 10, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • carmela

Hi, there listen are you still a struggling actor as I am? Interested in visiting Corey's gravesite and having a chat My e-mail is icarmeladestefano@yahoo.ca

May 29, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  9. Amanda

I remember being young with posters of him on my wall. What a shame. My sympathies go out to his family and friends. RIP

March 10, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  10. SJN

While my condolences go out to his family, If the autopsy comes back with Overdose due to illegal drug use (prescription or otherwise), I am going to find it real hard to feel pity for this guy.

Nuff said about that...

March 10, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  11. Ted Sheckler

I'm sure Corey Fieldman is Hurting this morning........

March 10, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  12. Pablo

Does no one blame Corey for this. I see people blaming "Hollywood" whatever that really means. Others comment that the focus of the "war on drugs" is not aimed at the right things. Come on people. I guess this is sad but no one is to blame but the drug abuser in this case.

March 10, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  13. Charles

Such a sad ending... you are in a better place now, Corey. Rest in peace.

March 10, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  14. Olaf Stapleton

I wonder if Cory Feldman is next....Too bad he didn't "get it" in rehab. It's a shame.

March 10, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  15. pn

inevitable – but still so sad. so many opportunities – but just couldn't wrestle with his demons.

March 10, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |