March 10th, 2010

Update: Feldman says Corey Haim's death a 'tragic loss'

Corey Feldman, left, and Corey Haim in 2007.

[Updated 2:18 p.m.] Corey Feldman’s publicist Stacy Hess issued a statement from Feldman on the death of his friend Corey Haim:

"I was awakened at 8:30 this morning by my brother and sister knocking on my bedroom door. They informed me of the loss of my brother Corey Haim. My eyes weren't even open all the way when the tears started streaming down my face. I am so sorry for Corey, his mother Judy, his family, my family, all of our fans, and of course my son who I will have to find a way to explain this to when he gets home from school.

"This is a tragic loss of a wonderful, beautiful, tormented soul, who will always be my brother, family, and best friend. We must all take this as a lesson in how we treat the people we share this world with while they are still here to make a difference. Please respect our families as we struggle and grieve through this difficult time. I hope the art Corey has left behind will be remembered as the passion of that for which he truly lived."

[Updated 1:27 p.m.] Mark Heaslip, Corey Haim's agent, talked to HLN's Christi Paul about the child star's death, including that he was sick with flu-like symptoms Tuesday night.

[Updated 9:43 a.m.] We now have a full story on Haim's death, including background on his previous battles with drugs.

[Updated 8:51 a.m.] Haim, 38, was taken to Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, California, where he was pronounced dead at 2:15 a.m. PT (5:15 a.m. ET), Los Angeles County Coroner's spokeswoman Lt. Cheryl MacWillie told CNN. The  hospital is a mile from Haim's apartment. Police Sgt. Frank Albarran told CNN the death appears to be accidental, possibly an overdose.

Haim's most famous role was in the 1987 movie "The Lost Boys," in which he appeared with his frequent co-star, Corey Feldman.

[Posted 8:40 a.m.] Actor Corey Haim, who appeared in a number of movies during the 1980s, died early Wednesday of a possible drug  overdose, Los Angeles police said.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. Chris K

Waste...and totally expected. This kid has been angry as hell and determined to kill himself for YEARS. I will never understand the Hollywood persona who have it all and have all the time and money in the world to fly high above us poor slugs on the ground who have to worry about bills and responsibilities. All they have to do is stay alive and a surprisingly high number of them cant even do that well.

March 10, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  2. Shelby564

This breaks my heart. I feel like he was a very good actor in everything he was in. Along with fast getawaqy, License to drive and The lost boys. Rest in peace.My prayers are with his family and friends. Love Shelby564

March 10, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  3. sarah

R.I.P Corey!!! I am sooo saddened by this news, Addiction is no joke, it is not like you can just turn it off and on, it is real, and very difficult to deal with. This really just breaks my heart because I always loved him and I too struggled with addiction so I truly know that pain well. What a waste, I wish he could have found peace while here, he needed God or an HP, I hope he had something in those last moments...I pray he is at peace now. I pray for his family and friends. A little piece of our 80's childhood just died. 🙁

March 10, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  4. Becky

I was so in love with him as a kid. Lucas was my favorite movie for years!!! RIP Corey.

March 10, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  5. R Edwards

So sad, but not unexpected. A good young actor who at one time had a very promising career. He'll be greatly missed by all of us who had hoped somehow that he would beat his addiction. May u rip Corey. My sincere sympathys to his family and closest friends.

March 10, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  6. AMB

R.I.P. so sad indeed. My prayers go out to his family and friends. Loved him in Lucas, License to Drive, and of course Lost Boys. Will never forget that crooked smile!

March 10, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  7. TheMightyThor

Rest in peace Corey, GOONIES forever!

March 10, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  8. K

Corey Feldmen tried to help him, he didnt want help...he wanted to wallow and this wasnt an accidental OD...anyone who saw "the Two Coreys" knows this was just an inevitable conclusion to Haim's life. We ALL make OUR OWN decisions, he could have taken the help that was offered, but he didn't want it...

March 10, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  9. T..

So very sad!! RIP Corey!

March 10, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  10. KC

The hollywood machine grinds up one more... very sad. Great actor with tons of potential. RIP

March 10, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  11. sherri

Such a promising young actor who had demons he couldn't escape.

March 10, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  12. mike

Who didn't see this coming?

March 10, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mike Gilliam

All in all this is a shame. Corey had dealt with this disease for much of his life. In the reality show you could tell he was screaming for help by his emotional roller coaster. I think he had depression issues as well. No matter whether it was an accident or not, people need look at the good things he did. RIP Corey, you will be missed.

March 10, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  14. Kate

Give me a break!! Drug abuse gets you jail time or an early death.

March 10, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  15. Dancing Turtle

"Accidentlal Overdose" – – – is this classed this way because there wasn't a suicide note involved? R.I.P. Corey

March 10, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |