March 10th, 2010

Update: Feldman says Corey Haim's death a 'tragic loss'

Corey Feldman, left, and Corey Haim in 2007.

[Updated 2:18 p.m.] Corey Feldman’s publicist Stacy Hess issued a statement from Feldman on the death of his friend Corey Haim:

"I was awakened at 8:30 this morning by my brother and sister knocking on my bedroom door. They informed me of the loss of my brother Corey Haim. My eyes weren't even open all the way when the tears started streaming down my face. I am so sorry for Corey, his mother Judy, his family, my family, all of our fans, and of course my son who I will have to find a way to explain this to when he gets home from school.

"This is a tragic loss of a wonderful, beautiful, tormented soul, who will always be my brother, family, and best friend. We must all take this as a lesson in how we treat the people we share this world with while they are still here to make a difference. Please respect our families as we struggle and grieve through this difficult time. I hope the art Corey has left behind will be remembered as the passion of that for which he truly lived."

[Updated 1:27 p.m.] Mark Heaslip, Corey Haim's agent, talked to HLN's Christi Paul about the child star's death, including that he was sick with flu-like symptoms Tuesday night.

[Updated 9:43 a.m.] We now have a full story on Haim's death, including background on his previous battles with drugs.

[Updated 8:51 a.m.] Haim, 38, was taken to Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, California, where he was pronounced dead at 2:15 a.m. PT (5:15 a.m. ET), Los Angeles County Coroner's spokeswoman Lt. Cheryl MacWillie told CNN. The  hospital is a mile from Haim's apartment. Police Sgt. Frank Albarran told CNN the death appears to be accidental, possibly an overdose.

Haim's most famous role was in the 1987 movie "The Lost Boys," in which he appeared with his frequent co-star, Corey Feldman.

[Posted 8:40 a.m.] Actor Corey Haim, who appeared in a number of movies during the 1980s, died early Wednesday of a possible drug  overdose, Los Angeles police said.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. Someone who cares

RIP Corey.....who will be next? I thought Hollywood is full of rich and famous people whos dreams have fullfilled, why do they have to do drugs? I will never understand.

RIP Corey... You and your family are in my prayers...
    He had the disease of addiction.. It is your choice to pick it up the first time, but then it is no longer a choice... There are thousands of people who suffer from this disease, some people find the help they need and spend their lives in recovery, others are not so lucky! Don't judge him unless you have walked a mile in his shoes, because then you wouldn't judge him!!

March 10, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  2. Chris

RIP Corey. So sad.

FYI – he was NOT in the Goonies. That was Feldman.

March 10, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  3. mustache

You people need to get a life

March 10, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. Merielle

I had the biggest crush on him and it breaks my heart he chose the wrong path but hopefully now he is resting in Peace....will never forget you Corey my teen idol:)))))))))))

March 10, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  5. Sadie

Today i lost a part of my childhood, I grew up with those actors, the Coreys were GREAT actors and best friends. My heart goes out to Corey Feldman and all of Corey haim's family anf friends!!!
    Corey may God Bless You and give you peace now with yourself!!!

A Distraught Fan

March 10, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  6. Dwayne S

This just sucks. I really enjoyed his movies, and "The Two Coreys". I watch Lost Boys at least once a year, and now I watch both Lost Boys and The Tribe, usually in the Fall near Halloween. He will be missed. I was hoping he would get his life back together and maybe get some work acting in new movies. RIP my friend.

March 10, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  7. Dee

So sad, he just couldn't kick his demon ... loved him in Lost Boys ... watched a couple of biographies/documentaries on him and how far down he had gone, and how he had 'pulled himself back up' but could still see that demon there, hoped he would be stronger than the demon ... what a shame and a waste. SO GLAD Robert Downey Jr. (my fave actor) was able to pull himself out of that hole and making magic again!

March 10, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  8. Steve

Truely a sad day. Not suprising but still very sad. RIP Corey

March 10, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jim

It's easier to survive adversity than it is to survive prosperity

March 10, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  10. EBM

This is not surprising but it is very sad. He was the cutest of the Coreys, I loved his crooked little smile and I guess the hope I held out that he would make a comeback just flew away. He just seemed like a super sweet guy but he could shake off that monkey on his back.

RIP Corey Haim, rest well.

March 10, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  11. fanofhaim

I am stunned, and shocked as well as dissapointed that there has been such little report of this in the news. I too had hoped he would be a success again like Robert Downey, Jr. The media should have this out there more, just like all the other celeb deaths lately they have covered, and show Haim as the example of bad choices. I agree with mikiejo's posting it's time to keep pushing the message and slow down in life.

PS – Whomever he kept hidding as his rapist when he was 15 should be brought to justice, Corey Feldman knows who it is! I wonder how many other victims are out there? Now that's a story for the media to report.

March 10, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  12. Shawn

wow brutal and sad, but cant say Im surpised R.I.P hope you now have some peace Corey.

Shawn

March 10, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  13. HaimFeldmanFanatic

I am CRUSHED. I will now take the day off of my home health IT job, eat bon bons, foil my windows and celebrate his entire film career via DVD. No senseles....

March 10, 2010 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  14. ogscorpion

I'm shocked. I'm a fan of Corey Haim and saddened hearing of his sudden passing. My deepest condolence to his love ones.

March 10, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  15. Guest

"School is that way, yonder" RIP

March 10, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |