March 10th, 2010

Update: Feldman says Corey Haim's death a 'tragic loss'

Corey Feldman, left, and Corey Haim in 2007.

[Updated 2:18 p.m.] Corey Feldman’s publicist Stacy Hess issued a statement from Feldman on the death of his friend Corey Haim:

"I was awakened at 8:30 this morning by my brother and sister knocking on my bedroom door. They informed me of the loss of my brother Corey Haim. My eyes weren't even open all the way when the tears started streaming down my face. I am so sorry for Corey, his mother Judy, his family, my family, all of our fans, and of course my son who I will have to find a way to explain this to when he gets home from school.

"This is a tragic loss of a wonderful, beautiful, tormented soul, who will always be my brother, family, and best friend. We must all take this as a lesson in how we treat the people we share this world with while they are still here to make a difference. Please respect our families as we struggle and grieve through this difficult time. I hope the art Corey has left behind will be remembered as the passion of that for which he truly lived."

[Updated 1:27 p.m.] Mark Heaslip, Corey Haim's agent, talked to HLN's Christi Paul about the child star's death, including that he was sick with flu-like symptoms Tuesday night.

[Updated 9:43 a.m.] We now have a full story on Haim's death, including background on his previous battles with drugs.

[Updated 8:51 a.m.] Haim, 38, was taken to Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, California, where he was pronounced dead at 2:15 a.m. PT (5:15 a.m. ET), Los Angeles County Coroner's spokeswoman Lt. Cheryl MacWillie told CNN. The  hospital is a mile from Haim's apartment. Police Sgt. Frank Albarran told CNN the death appears to be accidental, possibly an overdose.

Haim's most famous role was in the 1987 movie "The Lost Boys," in which he appeared with his frequent co-star, Corey Feldman.

[Posted 8:40 a.m.] Actor Corey Haim, who appeared in a number of movies during the 1980s, died early Wednesday of a possible drug  overdose, Los Angeles police said.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. Rachel

I am so sad. He meant so much to my generation. He was full of life and talent and I am deeply saddened that he turned to substance abuse. He is forever to me a Lost Boy.

March 10, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  2. Sophie

It is very sad that he died. Any time someone dies its a sad feeling. However that does not give any one the right to judge a person based on there habbits. He was fighting his demons just like the rest of the world. He just lost the battle with his demons. Its unfortunate for his family and friends, especially his best friend Corey Feldman. My heart goes out to every one that loved him for who he was not what he did..... RIP>>> u live in our hearts<3

March 10, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  3. lostboy

i lost my brother to a drug overdose and want all to remember that this is a sickness like cancer..it strikes every socio economic class, race and just because someone is rich and /or famous doesn't mean they are not susceptible to the sickness.. one must get help to get better.. RIP Corey...

March 10, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • carmela

I'm so sorry about your brother.I think losing Corey haim brings back other loses inour lives. You're right that addiction is just like any ther disease, like depression, that i believe corey HAIM SUFFERED FROM AND was not treated properly for, consequently turned to drugs for comfort. It's funny how after two months the spin is he wasn't doing street drugs but that the medications he was on to help lessen his addiction had an adverse effect. Hello! That's still drugs and clearly his heart couldn't take it. no matter how you look at it, he was clearly very distraught over not being asked to do The lost Boys 2..

May 28, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. shawalkar

Wow, I was rally surprised to hear this. It is important that we teach our children that drugs are not the answer to your problems at an early age. Heartbreaking

March 10, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  5. J. Verco

He was just on TMZ a few weeks ago with Corey Feldman and he looked fine. I was never a big Corey Haim fan, but for some reason this makes me very sad. He looked like a really good person.

He was also kind of funny in Crank 2. I thought his career would rebound now that he was older. I wish he had been more careful with his health.

March 10, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  6. Mike

The man was happy and at peace at home in Toronto, Canada. LA and the hollywood scene brought out the worst in him both as a child and adult. He should have stayed home after coming to Toronto to start over in 2000. RIP.

March 10, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  7. TRB

I agree with Mary! Things have gotten completely out of hand. RIP Cory, u were one of my favorites growing up....

March 10, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  8. Heidi

As a kid, I had him plastered all over my walls. I would say I’m surprised but he’s had problems for so long but I’m still saddened. He’s too young. RIP Corey!

March 10, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  9. PDB

So many young adults dying just to get high. Very sad. The epidemic of altering our state of mind is sadest of all. What ever happened to just living life without being drugged? So many talented people with wasted lives–leaving behind people who cared and loved them, which was never enough. My heart breaks when I hear these reports.

March 10, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  10. joely humphres

I can tell you being a nurse for many years that drug over doses happen a lot i have seen many of them,how sad for his family they are the ones who have to endure the pain of losing him to drugs.

March 10, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  11. ty

The pain is now over R.I.P.

March 10, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  12. Wm. Pelletier

I think something that's being overlooked here is the underlying reason(s) why Corey took drugs in the first place. Keep in mind that we have no idea what sort of torment, pain, anger or depression there was within him.......not to mention a myriad of other "personal demons" that he perhaps felt as though he couldn't share with anyone else. Was his overdose an act of desperation, where he was crying out to the world to help him – or was it an act of suicide, where he felt that he had dealt with the pain far too long? That's something that only Corey knew for certain. Whatever the case, we must try to not judge him for the bad decisions he made during his life, and remember him instead for being the good actor that he was. Rest in peace, Corey.......

March 10, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  13. Ashley

omg i just couldnt beleive it when i read this online, i had a big crush on him when i was younger! i guess alot of us did though lol R.I.P. Corey

March 10, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  14. justme

they die for the same reason homeless people, dr's. lawyers, factory workers and everyone in between die. ADDICTION.
    Hollywood is just a place like any other when you are and addict. You have to get help and keep getting help, period.

March 10, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Dawn

This is the truest post yet. And sadly, for some, there is only one conclusion in the tangled mess of severe addiction: death. I know this. It happened to my husband. May Mr. Haim be at peace and may his family and friends find strength in these wonderful accolades.

March 10, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  15. Becky

Its ashame that people in Hollywood can't take a hint, drugs don't discriminate!!!! Your money can't save you and we all have to answer for what we do down here!!!!! May you rest in peace Corey!!!!!!!!!!!!1

March 10, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |