March 10th, 2010

Update: Feldman says Corey Haim's death a 'tragic loss'

Corey Feldman, left, and Corey Haim in 2007.

[Updated 2:18 p.m.] Corey Feldman’s publicist Stacy Hess issued a statement from Feldman on the death of his friend Corey Haim:

"I was awakened at 8:30 this morning by my brother and sister knocking on my bedroom door. They informed me of the loss of my brother Corey Haim. My eyes weren't even open all the way when the tears started streaming down my face. I am so sorry for Corey, his mother Judy, his family, my family, all of our fans, and of course my son who I will have to find a way to explain this to when he gets home from school.

"This is a tragic loss of a wonderful, beautiful, tormented soul, who will always be my brother, family, and best friend. We must all take this as a lesson in how we treat the people we share this world with while they are still here to make a difference. Please respect our families as we struggle and grieve through this difficult time. I hope the art Corey has left behind will be remembered as the passion of that for which he truly lived."

[Updated 1:27 p.m.] Mark Heaslip, Corey Haim's agent, talked to HLN's Christi Paul about the child star's death, including that he was sick with flu-like symptoms Tuesday night.

[Updated 9:43 a.m.] We now have a full story on Haim's death, including background on his previous battles with drugs.

[Updated 8:51 a.m.] Haim, 38, was taken to Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, California, where he was pronounced dead at 2:15 a.m. PT (5:15 a.m. ET), Los Angeles County Coroner's spokeswoman Lt. Cheryl MacWillie told CNN. The  hospital is a mile from Haim's apartment. Police Sgt. Frank Albarran told CNN the death appears to be accidental, possibly an overdose.

Haim's most famous role was in the 1987 movie "The Lost Boys," in which he appeared with his frequent co-star, Corey Feldman.

[Posted 8:40 a.m.] Actor Corey Haim, who appeared in a number of movies during the 1980s, died early Wednesday of a possible drug  overdose, Los Angeles police said.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. Elizabeth

RIP I'll never forget the cute kid from Lucas. How sad that his life was so tragic in the end.

March 10, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  2. AKP

Oh Corey, you poor troubled man. I was hoping things were getting better for you. I could tell you had some serious issues on your show The Two Coreys. Out of work child actor, drug problems, sexual abuse as a child. I know drugs may of masked the pain but it never takes care of the issue. I grew up with you & loved your movies & I was hoping you would make a comeback. Drugs got the better of you & I sorry you did not get the help you needed & you lost the battle.

Rest in Peace little brother, Rest in Peace.

March 10, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  3. Michael

This is so sad to see. Another in an endless list of Hollywood child actors who develop mental and emotional problems then turn to drugs or alcohol. Britney Spears, River Phoenix, Judy Garland, Danny Bonaduce, McAuley Caulkin....the list is almost endless. When will Hollywod and the media step up and take some responsibility. Clearly a young mind is not able to handle the stresses of fame. Knowing this, why isn't Hollywood required by law to drug test anyone on set under the age of 18 and the ban them from the set until they test clean? Why isn't Hollywood required to provide 1 year of psychological counselling in every contract signed with a child actor? While I respect privacy and freedoms for an adult, a child needs protection and support. This is yet another failure on the part of Hollywood and our government. Furthermore, there should be a ban on the media hounding children under 18. It should be illegal for the media to publish any paparazzi-style, un-authorized photos of anyone under 18. This is a terrible tragedy. Meanwhile the Hollywood execs will look for all the photo-ops to appear compassionate, then they go home to the mansions paid for by these dead child-actors. It's sickening.

March 10, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  4. El

Wow, I am in shock! My heart has dropped to the ground and what started out as a good day is now replaced by a hollow soul saddened once again with more loss in this world! I have to say I was upset by his behavior on the Corey and Corey show, but I was still rooting for him and secretly wished I was one of those girls he was dating that could have been a positive influence on him! He was sooo handsome and underneath it all had a sweet, caring, and free spirited"little" boy's soul that may now find rest. It was like he never grew up and became scarred by Hollywood and tried to find an escape. Drugs are never the answer. The hole in our souls will only be filled with the love from our Creator! God bless him, his family, his friends, and his fans with the peace that surpasses all understanding...

March 10, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  5. Havoth

For those of you who want to throw their 2 cents in: "Death Due to Hollywood" and "Inevitable" and "Not surprised"...shame on you. Do you really feel so superior to a celebrity if they die, accidentally, on purpose or otherwise? How callous. For all we know, he dies of acetaminophen (Tylenol) overdose, lots of people do because it's hidden in all kinds of OTC meds. Maybe, like Brittany Murphy, he just had a defect that didn't allow him to survive a bad allergic reaction or maybe it's just his time. But for his friends and family who need comfort, your snarkey comments are just rude. Pray no one snarks at your funeral. Maybe they"ll say "Gee, he/she probably deserved it, after all that snarking they did, it is no wonder..."

March 10, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  6. CLM

What a pity for this man's family. Hollywood has created a perfect storm for this kind of thing. Even adult celebrities have a hard time dealing with the deadly combination of too much money, an overwhelming sense of self-entitlement and people around them who refuse to say "Hey, you're stepping over the line". Make a child contend with that and you have a recipe for almost sure disaster.

The price of fame is too steep.

March 10, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  7. Bob Hudson

May God rest his soul and comfort his family.

March 10, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  8. Traycee

So sad, but not supprising!
    Dream a Little Dream was always my favorite!

RIP Corey...Dream a Little Dream!

March 10, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  9. Thomas

While it's always unfortunate to see someone throw their life away, I don't understand the pity for this young man. This is a kid who had the world at his feet but couldn't show the will power to live a better life afforded to him by his fans. There are people all over the world that are living a true nightmare (i.e. earthquake victims in Haiti and Chile, homeless, unemployed, war torn countries, etc...) but this guy couldn't handle the "pressures" of being a celebrity and turned to substance abuse? It really makes me sick that our population is so diluted that they feel sorry for these celebrities. Their demise is sad but preventable and completely in their own hands. Hate to sound heartless but I feel sorry for the family of four that is being evicted and can't afford to put food on the table due to the economic downturn or the thousands of people impacted in the previously mentioned areas. Not an celeb that made poor choices... Oh well, back to work at my modest wage job and do my best supporting my family.. cheers!

March 10, 2010 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  10. hollywoodbob

RIP young man. The brightest burn out the fastest. The Lost Boys is a movie that will always bring back fond memories of my youth. I can't run across it on TV and not watch it. Peace and blessings to your family. My God greet you with open arms and the peace you could not find here.

March 10, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  11. Doug

Being a child performer messes with kids so much, I wonder why there aren't some rules around it, like requiring schedules that don't burn kids out, time off, counseling, etc. Maybe there are and I just don't know it, but clearly something is wrong because these kids just keep getting into trouble either early or later in life. Just goes to show you that there's nothing wrong, and very much right about letting a kid be a normal kid when they're young. Makes me wonder which of the current crop of kid stars will be the next tabloid or Hollywood trash rag story. Very sad.

March 10, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  12. David Conner

so Sad, HE was one of the coolest things about the 80's. First Micheal Jackson, now Corey whats next Madonna? What the hell is going on?

March 10, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  13. jayson cohen

Pretty sad news for the two C's.... First Corey Feldman gets dumped by his wife and now this......I struggled with addiction and know how hard it can be to get clean and sober. I wish CH had what it took to fight and win the battle against addiction. This should be a lesson to all of us .........Like someone else here said, addiction is no joke.

March 10, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  14. doug

wow..never saw that coming...: )

March 10, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  15. Kim

38, really? Wasn't it just yesterday he was like 10? He never outgrew his "baby-face". It saddens me that another "hollywood" star has died from drugs. I agree, this was not an accident. Anyone who "chooses" to do such things knows the risk that they take. When will people realize that drugs is not the answer. Too bad it is too late for Corey to ever find out. Condolences to his family and friends. RIP

March 10, 2010 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |