March 10th, 2010

Update: Feldman says Corey Haim's death a 'tragic loss'

Corey Feldman, left, and Corey Haim in 2007.

[Updated 2:18 p.m.] Corey Feldman’s publicist Stacy Hess issued a statement from Feldman on the death of his friend Corey Haim:

"I was awakened at 8:30 this morning by my brother and sister knocking on my bedroom door. They informed me of the loss of my brother Corey Haim. My eyes weren't even open all the way when the tears started streaming down my face. I am so sorry for Corey, his mother Judy, his family, my family, all of our fans, and of course my son who I will have to find a way to explain this to when he gets home from school.

"This is a tragic loss of a wonderful, beautiful, tormented soul, who will always be my brother, family, and best friend. We must all take this as a lesson in how we treat the people we share this world with while they are still here to make a difference. Please respect our families as we struggle and grieve through this difficult time. I hope the art Corey has left behind will be remembered as the passion of that for which he truly lived."

[Updated 1:27 p.m.] Mark Heaslip, Corey Haim's agent, talked to HLN's Christi Paul about the child star's death, including that he was sick with flu-like symptoms Tuesday night.

[Updated 9:43 a.m.] We now have a full story on Haim's death, including background on his previous battles with drugs.

[Updated 8:51 a.m.] Haim, 38, was taken to Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, California, where he was pronounced dead at 2:15 a.m. PT (5:15 a.m. ET), Los Angeles County Coroner's spokeswoman Lt. Cheryl MacWillie told CNN. The  hospital is a mile from Haim's apartment. Police Sgt. Frank Albarran told CNN the death appears to be accidental, possibly an overdose.

Haim's most famous role was in the 1987 movie "The Lost Boys," in which he appeared with his frequent co-star, Corey Feldman.

[Posted 8:40 a.m.] Actor Corey Haim, who appeared in a number of movies during the 1980s, died early Wednesday of a possible drug  overdose, Los Angeles police said.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. gg

Those that are being critical of Mr. Haim don't realize that addiction is a mental illness and extremely difficult to get out of. The statitics are that only 30% of drug addicts actually are able to get clean and stay clean...only 30%....so stop blaming the addict. I doubt that any drug addict enjoys being a drug addict, and most are so unhappy that they are addicts, but getting out is nowhere near easy. That's why only 30% make it....he was very unfortunate to have become a drug addict and end up this way. Addicts are very sad and lost individuals who cannot find a way out. I feel terrible for his family. However, he is in a better place now, his pains are now gone and he is free of his addiction.

March 10, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  2. summer

now you can have the peace you looked for for so long.we will miis that beauitful smile

March 10, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  3. MLD

It is so sad that we have lost so many actors to drug problems lately. What is even more absurd is that once they fall due to alcohol and/or drugs, they get to attain fame again in a rehab program. What message are we really sending. Who's idea was considered when they thought this would be considered entertainment.

March 10, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  4. Sam Fisher

Why are people mentioning The Goonies? He wasn't in The Goonies, that was Sean Astin with Corey Feldman. Corey Haim was in Roomies. Aside from that, let's try to show a little compassion people, the man had a serious addiction. He blew his part in Lost Boys 2, something that meant the world to him, because he couldn't get through scenes. He got left being a voice because of his addiction. He couldn't just say I think I'll stop doing drugs because it's destructive. And unfortunately he didn't get help, or at least the right help, in time to save his life. As Dr. Drew (who was mentioned in an earlier post as someone Corey needed) has said, you can't MAKE the addict get help, in the end it's up to them. RIP Corey, the monkey is finally off of your back.

March 10, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  5. Cindy R

Astonishing how addicition takes hold of some people and they can never shake it. I have first hand experience with more than one person fighting this same battle. Depression is a major factor. Wish this could have turned out differently. I also was rooting for him to pul it together. However, after watching the Two Corey's it was obvious he was not being honest with himself or anyone around him. I hope there is peace now for his tormented soul.

March 10, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  6. trish~

oh my heart goes out too his family...& freind's.. and fan's,.. god rest his sooul~<3

March 10, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  7. Andrea

RIP Corey! He will be missed by many. This is truly a sad day. I still remember my wall covered with his posters and the autographed pictures. Drug addiction is real and exists for many in our society. I have a sister who battles with her own drug addiction everyday. I send my condolensces to his family and friends who mourn this beautiful person, Corey Haim.

March 10, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. Gina Rousseau

Bless his heart. Rest in peace, Corey...Lord knows you deserve the peace that you have been searching for all your young life. And yes, addiction is no joke! Whether it be prescription or street drugs...MAN MADE products are not meant for a God created body! Addiction of any sort is a form a "bondage" and does not allow you to focus on who you could possibly be!

March 10, 2010 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  9. Lindsay

Corey was a talented actor from such a young age – who unfortunately had to grow up too soon and was faced with adult challenges like drugs, sex, etc. I remember in the reality show that he disclosed he was molested for some time by a male who was either a manager or a movie-person that was around for some time. These deamons he carried with him were certainly the death of him.

I will never forget how he was a part of my life growing up – in the movies I watched, the tiger beat magazines I coveted, and my farfetched child hood dream of marrying him one day.May he rest in peace and no longer be in pain. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

March 10, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  10. SallyJ

while I am not of his genreation (older) and I really don't recall any of his movies or TV that he appeared in, I do send my condolences to his friends. The friends that tried to help him, tried to be there for him in his need. You did not fail him – he failed himself; his family failed him. Yes it is true we do not know the "exact" drug that took his life, but reading previous posts about is reality show, it seems clear that his drug of choice was most likely illegal. Why now is it everyone wants to jump on his bandwagon of fame – where we you when he needed you most? I have a hard time feeling sorry for the drug addicts when there are so many others out here fighting everyday problems such as no work, sickness, homelessness and so many other terrible things that would drive us down that road to addiction but WE ARE STRONGER THAN THAT!
    RIP Mr. Haim.

March 10, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  11. Phil E. Drifter

You people making excuses for him are an embarrassment to the human species. "Oh oh addiction took hold of him" you make excuses blaming everything BUT the one person who had control of his life: HIM.

Addiction is easy to break, you just have to want to break it. That's why I detest all these "Lisa quit smoking in 16 weeks with Chantix and support" bullstuff, that's nothing but a company capitalizing off someone else's misery.

You want to quit smoking? Just quit. You have to decide you want to quit, though. You can't say "oh I want to quit, I'll get some patches and those will feed my addiction" blah blah blah that's not quitting or even wanting to quit. It's making an excuse.

March 10, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  12. Brenda

Corey, we loved you... I thought you beat the drug thing... crying here... I wanted to meet you..Bless your family.. Love to You!!!

March 10, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  13. Glitterskies

i watched him every chance i could get.. Loved all the 80s movies he was in.. He will soo be missed.. Rest In Peace Cory Haim..

March 10, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  14. MaryBeth

This is soooooo horribly tragic. I'd been thinking about him all week, especially during the Oscars telecast when I began thinking 'What if Corey Haim's recent comeback spawned him an Academy Award in the future'? He had so much going for him! I've been preoccupied with how his life has been going since the two Coreys were cancelled on the air in 2008. He was on the right path!! I can't believe this is happening!! He and Feldman got back together and everything! Rest in peace, my sweet darling. This just goes to show all of us that we never know when our time is up for good. Many tears will be shed over this one.

March 10, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  15. Carl Feher

Too bad fame and money doesn't equal happiness. Sometimes it seems like the opposite is true. He should of been in "Celebrity Rehab" instead of OD'ing.

March 10, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |