March 10th, 2010

Update: Feldman says Corey Haim's death a 'tragic loss'

Corey Feldman, left, and Corey Haim in 2007.

[Updated 2:18 p.m.] Corey Feldman’s publicist Stacy Hess issued a statement from Feldman on the death of his friend Corey Haim:

"I was awakened at 8:30 this morning by my brother and sister knocking on my bedroom door. They informed me of the loss of my brother Corey Haim. My eyes weren't even open all the way when the tears started streaming down my face. I am so sorry for Corey, his mother Judy, his family, my family, all of our fans, and of course my son who I will have to find a way to explain this to when he gets home from school.

"This is a tragic loss of a wonderful, beautiful, tormented soul, who will always be my brother, family, and best friend. We must all take this as a lesson in how we treat the people we share this world with while they are still here to make a difference. Please respect our families as we struggle and grieve through this difficult time. I hope the art Corey has left behind will be remembered as the passion of that for which he truly lived."

[Updated 1:27 p.m.] Mark Heaslip, Corey Haim's agent, talked to HLN's Christi Paul about the child star's death, including that he was sick with flu-like symptoms Tuesday night.

[Updated 9:43 a.m.] We now have a full story on Haim's death, including background on his previous battles with drugs.

[Updated 8:51 a.m.] Haim, 38, was taken to Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, California, where he was pronounced dead at 2:15 a.m. PT (5:15 a.m. ET), Los Angeles County Coroner's spokeswoman Lt. Cheryl MacWillie told CNN. The  hospital is a mile from Haim's apartment. Police Sgt. Frank Albarran told CNN the death appears to be accidental, possibly an overdose.

Haim's most famous role was in the 1987 movie "The Lost Boys," in which he appeared with his frequent co-star, Corey Feldman.

[Posted 8:40 a.m.] Actor Corey Haim, who appeared in a number of movies during the 1980s, died early Wednesday of a possible drug  overdose, Los Angeles police said.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. Michelle

RIP Corey, I am devastated that you left life so early. I was hoping you get better and life would become happier for you. I grew up with you and will miss seeing your cute smile and hearing your voice.

For those who condemn you for your addictions they do not truly understand addiction or depression. We should not judge if we do not understand. You did not deserve to die

March 10, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Belinda

RIP Cory, It is so sad to hear about his passing and even sadder that addition has taken him, There is help out there, just try and keep trying, you fall off the wagon pick yourself up again and try because after death there is no more trying.

March 10, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. heidi garza

i just would like to know how feldman feels about his best friend's death how is he taking it

March 10, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ROSE

COREY WAS VERY TALENTED AND HAD SO MUCH MORE TO ACCOMPLISH IN LIFE HE WILL BE MISSED MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS TO HIS FAMILY AND FRIENDS

March 10, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Chris

There's always consequences to bad behavior, You can't go on through life blaming others for your actions. He knew the dangers of drugs so shame on him for throwing his life away.

March 10, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Dave Money

People were never meant to be worshiped, only to worship....

Thou Shall (not) Fall.......

March 10, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. kristina

R.I.P. Corey

March 10, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Tera

My heart is broken, RIP Corey Haim. I had hope for him until the very end.

March 10, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. True.Corey.Haim.Fan

'Sunglasses at Night' was such a good song.

March 10, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Brandy Faye McEwan

Let's all pray for Mr. Corey Heim and his family. Also my regards and condolences to Corey Feldman as well. This is very sad and tragic. Let's all remember him for the good things he accomplished in life and all the films we watched of him throughout the years. May he rest in peace.

March 10, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Renee

My heart is saddened by the new of Corey Haim's death. He was one of my favorite tean idols I too had hope for him till the end. May he rest in peace.

March 10, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. R. Haseley

It is a tragic loss. Cory Haim and Cory Feldman were my favorite actors growing up. I have missed both since there roles in Blockbuster movies seemed to drop off. I was even more upset when I learned of Cory Haims drug addiction. I guess I always assumed from their roles on the big screen it would have been the other way around. Feldman always seemed more the rebel. LOL (Sorry C.F.)
    Please remember something though. I've heard many people blame Hollywood, the lifestyle and so on, but it is important to remember people make their own choices no matter how much we wish to vilify someone. Everyone has excuses, but there are no reasons. The same that is true for our Celebrity heroes is the same for the high school junior that is trying their weed for the first time as I type this. Learn from Cory's mistake... Walk away from it now!
    Cory Haim, I will miss your acting and sorry the great return I always hoed for will never happen... Cory Feldman, I'm sorry for the loss of your brother, I know how that feels, and to the family of Haim, I am sorry for your loss and hope in time you can find acceptance, and peace despite your tragedy.

March 10, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Cinsy

this is soooo sad ....such a lost we will never know

March 10, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Teejay

RIP Corey. He was a GREAT actor. I loved him in Lost Boys and was very upset when I found out he wasn't going to be in the sequel, but I am very upset now. Not a good couple of years for celebrities, but out of all the ones that died I think he and MJ are the only ones I ever really liked. RIP Corey Haim.

March 10, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. krm

I really wish his life had turned out better. Although he is known for his role in the Lost Boys, I loved Corey Haim in the movie Lucas. If you haven't seen it you need to watch it. Rest in Peace Corey Haim.

March 10, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |