March 10th, 2010

Update: Feldman says Corey Haim's death a 'tragic loss'

Corey Feldman, left, and Corey Haim in 2007.

[Updated 2:18 p.m.] Corey Feldman’s publicist Stacy Hess issued a statement from Feldman on the death of his friend Corey Haim:

"I was awakened at 8:30 this morning by my brother and sister knocking on my bedroom door. They informed me of the loss of my brother Corey Haim. My eyes weren't even open all the way when the tears started streaming down my face. I am so sorry for Corey, his mother Judy, his family, my family, all of our fans, and of course my son who I will have to find a way to explain this to when he gets home from school.

"This is a tragic loss of a wonderful, beautiful, tormented soul, who will always be my brother, family, and best friend. We must all take this as a lesson in how we treat the people we share this world with while they are still here to make a difference. Please respect our families as we struggle and grieve through this difficult time. I hope the art Corey has left behind will be remembered as the passion of that for which he truly lived."

[Updated 1:27 p.m.] Mark Heaslip, Corey Haim's agent, talked to HLN's Christi Paul about the child star's death, including that he was sick with flu-like symptoms Tuesday night.

[Updated 9:43 a.m.] We now have a full story on Haim's death, including background on his previous battles with drugs.

[Updated 8:51 a.m.] Haim, 38, was taken to Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, California, where he was pronounced dead at 2:15 a.m. PT (5:15 a.m. ET), Los Angeles County Coroner's spokeswoman Lt. Cheryl MacWillie told CNN. The  hospital is a mile from Haim's apartment. Police Sgt. Frank Albarran told CNN the death appears to be accidental, possibly an overdose.

Haim's most famous role was in the 1987 movie "The Lost Boys," in which he appeared with his frequent co-star, Corey Feldman.

[Posted 8:40 a.m.] Actor Corey Haim, who appeared in a number of movies during the 1980s, died early Wednesday of a possible drug  overdose, Los Angeles police said.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. Dmack

He was such a cool dude when I was growing up. His movies were highly
    anticipated by my sisters and girl cousins. Too bad he couldn't tap into all the love that people had for him and heal himself. I pray that his death will finally wake up Hollywood to the dangers of thier lifestyle to children. RIP Corey 🙁

March 10, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mab

Sad... very sad. Another young star that leaves us too soon. My heart goes out to his family especially his mother. God bless his soul and rest i peace Corey Haim.

March 10, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jem

sad...so sad! grew up watching his movies 🙁
    goodbye Lost Boy...

March 10, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. carolyn nowak

i grew up with the two coreys.ilove them both very much.corey haim was a wonderful person.and iam so sorryfor his families.loss.he will be sadly missed.

March 10, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. carolyn nowak

rest in peace corey.youll me missed deeply.

March 10, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. carolyn nowak

i loved all his movies. andthe movies he did with corey feldman. they are both fantastic actors.i will never forget the times ive watched both coreys .ill never forget they will always be in my heart god bless his family and friends.

March 10, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Heather Johnston

thank u corey for the memories. you were an 80s icon. im so sorry u lost the battle. its never easy when a demon is on ur back. u will be missed and ur memory will live on. everytime i think of being a kid in the 80s,i think of u. love always,heather

March 10, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. michelle

i am watching lost boys tonight

March 10, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Karen Stacey

My prayers go out to Corey's family and friends at this sad time..Such a short life spent here on earth, may he find the comfort and peace within Gods Grace and loving hands..may he walk with God and suffer no more..Peace be with you..Gone but never forgotten..

March 10, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. April

So sad to hear this, I grew up watching his movies, crushing on him at the age of 10. To see this happen it's a shame, I hope that his demons are gone now and that he can really be at peace with himself. My prayers go out to his family and close friends.

March 10, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Carissa

Silver Bullet is one of my all time favorite movies with Corey Haim. It's based off of a Stephen King novel It's a really cool werewolf movie too.

March 10, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bella

think we should just have sympathy for him and his family & friends & respect his privacy

March 10, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kelnhofer

I.can't help but wonder how someone with so many friends could slip so far down without intervention. Even forced intervention might have saved his life. We will all miss ch.

March 11, 2010 at 4:54 am | Report abuse |
  14. Sherry

i am so sickened by the news of Corey Haim's death. I loved him for years and really thought he was strong enough to pull through. Now all we can do is just keep his memories alive. R.I.P Corey! You are no longer suffering and in pain. Your in a better place now. We love you!

March 11, 2010 at 5:18 am | Report abuse |
  15. FlipNYC2010

Unfortunately, Hollywood is very attractive to people who have these issues to begin with. I think Hollywood exacerbates the problem since famous people get whatever they want. It's very sad. Even when these people want help, the people around them are too busy saying yes to them, that there's really no one looking out for them.

March 11, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |