March 10th, 2010

Update: Feldman says Corey Haim's death a 'tragic loss'

Corey Feldman, left, and Corey Haim in 2007.

[Updated 2:18 p.m.] Corey Feldman’s publicist Stacy Hess issued a statement from Feldman on the death of his friend Corey Haim:

"I was awakened at 8:30 this morning by my brother and sister knocking on my bedroom door. They informed me of the loss of my brother Corey Haim. My eyes weren't even open all the way when the tears started streaming down my face. I am so sorry for Corey, his mother Judy, his family, my family, all of our fans, and of course my son who I will have to find a way to explain this to when he gets home from school.

"This is a tragic loss of a wonderful, beautiful, tormented soul, who will always be my brother, family, and best friend. We must all take this as a lesson in how we treat the people we share this world with while they are still here to make a difference. Please respect our families as we struggle and grieve through this difficult time. I hope the art Corey has left behind will be remembered as the passion of that for which he truly lived."

[Updated 1:27 p.m.] Mark Heaslip, Corey Haim's agent, talked to HLN's Christi Paul about the child star's death, including that he was sick with flu-like symptoms Tuesday night.

[Updated 9:43 a.m.] We now have a full story on Haim's death, including background on his previous battles with drugs.

[Updated 8:51 a.m.] Haim, 38, was taken to Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, California, where he was pronounced dead at 2:15 a.m. PT (5:15 a.m. ET), Los Angeles County Coroner's spokeswoman Lt. Cheryl MacWillie told CNN. The  hospital is a mile from Haim's apartment. Police Sgt. Frank Albarran told CNN the death appears to be accidental, possibly an overdose.

Haim's most famous role was in the 1987 movie "The Lost Boys," in which he appeared with his frequent co-star, Corey Feldman.

[Posted 8:40 a.m.] Actor Corey Haim, who appeared in a number of movies during the 1980s, died early Wednesday of a possible drug  overdose, Los Angeles police said.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. Anthony

RIP. I just hope he is not ignored in next year's Oscars Memorial Segment.

March 11, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  2. Barbara

RIP 🙁

March 11, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  3. lisa

im very sad 2 hear about him passing away, my prayers go out 2 his family.

March 11, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. tannie75

Rip. Sweet boy!!

March 12, 2010 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  5. robing71

I'd like to make a point about Corey Haim that I haven't heard anyone else make. He disclosed that he had been sexually absued as a child, yet he never abused anyone himself. That is further proof that abusers make excuses. Corey, I think, took drugs to mask the pain that he couldn't run from and didn't have the ability to confront. He was self-destructive, and I think because that's the only way he knew how to cope. It is so sad and tragic. May he now rest in peace!

March 12, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Gina

My condolences to Corey's family and friends on his death. I grew up with him..he's actually only two years older than I am. And I had tons of posters of him on my wall back when I was a teen. I kept thinking about him over the years, and was hoping to see a comeback of him in films. I always thought he was funny and cute, and I just loved the way he smiled and laughed. I wish I had a chance to meet him maybe just to get an autograph. May God Bless Corey's soul on his passage way to heaven!!!

To Corey Feldman: You are an amazing friend to Corey Haim, not many people can say they have a friend like you and I know it helped him having someone like you in his life. You always seem to be there for him....Good luck to you in the future...

March 12, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Gina

I forgot to mention in my previous email I watched all the episodes of The Two Corey's...I was really excited when it came out..I really missed seeing Corey Haim and Corey Feldman in film even if it was just a tv reality series...

March 12, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Migs

It is a shame. I grew up watching and enjoying all his films. Even though his movies wer a while back. I still remember them like yesterday. His art will always be remembered.

March 12, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Shari

I blame Hollywood! All they do is use people who can make them rich, and if you are a child star and become an adult, they abandon you if they can't make money off of you any more. Instead of appreciating his talent they tossed him away. I think he wouldn't even had those drug problems if Hollywood appreciated him like they should have and gave him more work. Hollywood Sucks!!!! Corey was a beautiful person. God Bless Corey In Heaven! He's in a better place than this money hungry world!

March 12, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. tahoe4

Poor Corey's heart was enlarged and he had fluid in his lungs, why didn't the Dr that had seen him that very same day hear that in his lungs? he should had been sent to the hospital! then maybe we would still have him here, i am just sick over this, he loved his family and friends dearly~ he will be forever missed God Love You Corey 🙂 Lisa Clark

March 12, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mary K.

WAKE UP HOLLYWOOD! Don't be the next actress/actor to loose your life over non-sense and unfortunate choices. Live your life to the fullest.

Chosing that kind of path will ruin a life!!! It is impossible to get back to normal unless SERIOUS professional help is involved when dealing with drugs.

ALways Remembered: Heath Ledger Brittney Murphy and now Corey Haim

March 12, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. crystal

I was in love with Haim, him and Feldman made the 80's the best with the Lost Boys and Licence to Drive and Dream a little Dream...how sad. It's just so tragic to see someone so young die from lets face it ...stress in Hollywood. I love you Haim R.I.P

March 12, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. michael f long

Its a real shame that this young man who many people thought was on some kind of drug that you buy from the street but it was an over the counter drug that he had a bad reaction to and it caused his heart to stop working and that is what caused him to die not form some kind of overdose that everybody is posting on the web site and making it look like he was still hooked on drugs when he was actually clean and starting to get his career started back up again

March 13, 2010 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  14. ph244824

I will miss Corey. I remember him form 1989 when he and Corey Feldman filmed "Dream a Little Dream" in Wilmington, NC. That is and always will be my favorite movie! Filmded at my hhigh school (New Hanover High School). RIP Corey. You deserve to be at peace. Your life sure wasn't peaceful!

March 13, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. kselva513

So Sad that We are losing so my young stars, It saddens me to that this not just happening to celeberties but ordinary people as well. My Best friend lost he he sister 40 years old. 24 hours after the passing of Corey Heim. under similar circumstances. Why does this have to keep happening to young beautiful people.

March 14, 2010 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |