March 10th, 2010

Update: Feldman says Corey Haim's death a 'tragic loss'

Corey Feldman, left, and Corey Haim in 2007.

[Updated 2:18 p.m.] Corey Feldman’s publicist Stacy Hess issued a statement from Feldman on the death of his friend Corey Haim:

"I was awakened at 8:30 this morning by my brother and sister knocking on my bedroom door. They informed me of the loss of my brother Corey Haim. My eyes weren't even open all the way when the tears started streaming down my face. I am so sorry for Corey, his mother Judy, his family, my family, all of our fans, and of course my son who I will have to find a way to explain this to when he gets home from school.

"This is a tragic loss of a wonderful, beautiful, tormented soul, who will always be my brother, family, and best friend. We must all take this as a lesson in how we treat the people we share this world with while they are still here to make a difference. Please respect our families as we struggle and grieve through this difficult time. I hope the art Corey has left behind will be remembered as the passion of that for which he truly lived."

[Updated 1:27 p.m.] Mark Heaslip, Corey Haim's agent, talked to HLN's Christi Paul about the child star's death, including that he was sick with flu-like symptoms Tuesday night.

[Updated 9:43 a.m.] We now have a full story on Haim's death, including background on his previous battles with drugs.

[Updated 8:51 a.m.] Haim, 38, was taken to Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, California, where he was pronounced dead at 2:15 a.m. PT (5:15 a.m. ET), Los Angeles County Coroner's spokeswoman Lt. Cheryl MacWillie told CNN. The  hospital is a mile from Haim's apartment. Police Sgt. Frank Albarran told CNN the death appears to be accidental, possibly an overdose.

Haim's most famous role was in the 1987 movie "The Lost Boys," in which he appeared with his frequent co-star, Corey Feldman.

[Posted 8:40 a.m.] Actor Corey Haim, who appeared in a number of movies during the 1980s, died early Wednesday of a possible drug  overdose, Los Angeles police said.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. Pandora1978

Sad....so very sad...Feldmen tried so hard to help him.... RIP

March 10, 2010 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mike

That stinks. Too Bad.

March 10, 2010 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  3. Carrie R

Wow I cant believe it, I was truly hoping that he was getting his life back together.. I fell just terrible.. I just loved him in Lost Boys,,, I am truly sadden by this terrible news. I will keep his family and friends in my prayers.

March 10, 2010 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  4. SFTitan

Sad. Another causality of drugs. All the signs were there that this guy was highly troubled. I guess no one could get to him. RIP.

March 10, 2010 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. Pete

Damn I grew up watching the Corey's in their movies. Even enjoyed their pseudo reality show when it was on. Going to miss that guy...

March 10, 2010 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  6. oocpoo

That's sad. RIP Corey.

March 10, 2010 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  7. MadiB

RIP old friend, Your pain is now gone. My heart goes out to his family & Friends. God Bless

March 10, 2010 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  8. Bill

Death due to Hollywood.. It'll never end.

March 10, 2010 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  9. anita

why does this not suprise me? a washed up has been actor with no real idea how to live in the real world who uses drugs to try to cope and over does that too. you cant blame hollywood. these kids are told they are great and people fawn all over them when they are on top and drop them when they are no longer "in". here's a thought- stop feeding their ego and teach them how to live when the "ride" ends. then we will not have headlines like this.

March 10, 2010 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  10. Crissy

Just so sad.....I thought he was a good actor overall....especially loved him in Silver Bullet.

My prayers go out to his family and friends.

March 10, 2010 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  11. John Proctor

So sad but saw it coming and so did everyone else I believe. I have a couple of friends in the same position that he was in before he died and I don't know how to approach them about the situation. I know that if they don,t get help sooner than later then it could and will probably be them as well and I will blame myself for not trying to intervene when I knew I should. My family keeps telling me that they got themselves into their own situation and it is not my responsibility to try to help them get and stay clean, but I disagree. I think more people could be saved if someone would intervene sooner instead of not wanting to get involved in their problems. If somebody out their has gone through this situation or has an answer for me please!!! write me back anytime. Thanks.

March 10, 2010 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
    • carmela

Hi, John,
      I wanted to tell you that it's entirely true what your family has told you. You can't help somebody that doesn't recognize they have a problem. Corey Haim had a lot of opportunity to get proper help. I think he was just doing so many drugs so for long that his heart couldn't take it. But, you're also right to try without ceaseing to be there for someone suffering from an addiction without enabling them further.

May 28, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mike

Always thought it would be Feldman.

March 10, 2010 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  13. Kelly

RIP Corey.....who will be next? I thought Hollywood is full of rich and famous people whos dreams have fullfilled, why do they have to do drugs? I will never understand.

March 10, 2010 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  14. ramos96

oh no 🙁 my thoughts go out to his family and friends

March 10, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  15. mikiejoe

Dying from an overdose IS NOT an accident...it is irresponsible behavior and people who do this know that death is possible. It's sad nonetheless, but there was nothing accidental about it – it was stupid and he paid for it with his life.

March 10, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |