March 10th, 2010

Mexico's Slim named world's richest man

Forbes magazine released its annual list of the world's richest people Wednesday, and for only the second time since 1995, Microsoft founder Bill Gates' name was not at the top.

This year, the title of "World's Richest" went to Mexican telecom mogul Carlos Slim, with a net worth of $53.5 billion. It marked the first time since 1994 that the top spot has been held by a non-U.S. billionaire, Forbes said.

See a gallery of Forbes' "World's richest people"

Gates is the world's second richest person, with a net worth of $53  billion. Warren Buffett came in at number three this year, with a net worth of $47 billion.

Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Mei-Lin Ong

I remembered that Carlos Slim was named the world richest man sometime in 2008 or in 2009 for a short period of time.

March 10, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Dolores Donovan

Unless one of those billionaires would like to contribute to my retirement in June, at age 78, with seven children and many grandchildren, great-grandchildren, I could care less!!

March 10, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. valentina

he should help his countrymen then. wow i think I want to meet this guy, needed help to save my home.

March 10, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ga

How sad. All this money, and all the suffering going on, especially in Mexico. It doesn't matter how much money they have, they won't live a day longer than God wants. Then they're going to have to answer, Why didn't you help the poor and suffering more, when you had the means? They might have the money, but in the end, it will prove useless.

March 10, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. MAQUIAVELO

Now, that is disgusting. How this guy in a third class country can be the richest man in the world? I bet overcharging a few cents every month can be a big business when you are the only phone company in a country of millions. How this guy got to own Telmex is another story, Privatization by the hands of his buddy Mr. Carlos Salinas de Gortari. I wanna see some of his millions go to education or to fight Cancer, how about fight for the rights of indigenous people or women???

March 10, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rusty

The Worlds richest or GREEDIEST?

March 10, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ludovic Bryant

The richer Slim gets, the poorer the people in Mexico get. This man has become a billionaire through exploiting his own people in Mexico. The king of monopolies, in many industries. To see Carlos Slim's name at the top of this list, makes my skin crawl.

March 10, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. NancyLV

It's the Hollywood gang of millionaires that get on my last nerve they don't believe in capitalism at least some or most and the ones that don't believe in capitalism I don't see them giving away their millions and only living on $50,000 a year they are the hypicrits, have any of you seen them standing on the corners passing out 100's to the poor?

March 10, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jarvis

This is may be the latent socialist in me talking, but come on, what is fair or just about one person having a billion dollars. I mean, I believe in commensurate compensation for hard work, but there is nothing in this world you could do that warrants getting paid billions of dollars, other than being a greedy tyrant. I say let them keep a few million personal wealth, and use the rest to do good things. 53 million dollars could go a long way in Mexico.

March 10, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. master bodhigun

i wonder where is my lineage with a nett asset of US1billion;just out of curiosity;its not my nature to show off in public;just for my own knowledge!

March 10, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Johnny B. Good

How wonderful ,a number of the richest people (The Forbes Richest People's List) live in foreign lands or countries,where human rights violations are certaintly the normal routine of life. You know ,like tryin to escape across your countries border to escape poverty stricken conditions,or just too just breath sum non-polluntant AIR. MAYBE these Billionaires could contribute to sum humantarian efforts to solve those situations.OPRAH didn't make the list!

March 10, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Matt

I wonder why some of the highest ever wealth generators such as Warren Buffet always ends up donating when he stand as the richest person in the world. Perhaps, due to the fact that there is a critizism from the people and media.

Check out the site, I found, it gives you your standing of regular joes in terms of rank and percentile. http://www.richlistusa.com

August 19, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |