March 12th, 2010

Police chief: No signs of 'Baby Gabriel' in landfill

Gabriel Johnson was last seen in San Antonio, Texas, with his mother, Elizabeth Johnson.

A month-long search of a Texas landfill has ended with no signs of 8-month-old Gabriel Johnson, police said Friday.

“This case leaves us with somewhat of a bittersweet conclusion,” said William McManus, chief of the San Antonio Police Department. “The good news is we have no homicide. The bad news is the case is still open.”

McManus said the landfill search, in which 7,620 tons of debris were removed, is now over.

“We found no evidence of a homicide,” he said. He urged anyone with information about the child’s whereabouts to call 1-800-THE LOST.

Gabriel has been missing since December 26 and was last seen in San Antonio, with his 23-year-old mother, Elizabeth Johnson, who has refused to disclose information on his whereabouts.

Post by:
Filed under: Justice
  1. Cindy

Thank God...at least the hope is still that the child is alive!

March 12, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Nana

Is the mother in jail?

March 12, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lori

I'm glad that there was no sign of this sweet baby in the landfill. It's bad enough that he is even missing. He deserves only the best love and care, as any baby does. They need to put his mother away forever and throw away the key. Giving him drugs to "shut him up" makes me want to reach through the tv and wring her neck.. Maybe if she held onto him and loved him a bit, he wouldn't cry. He was unhappy and would have rather been left with someone who loved him, like his father. She doesn't even deserve to be referred to as sweet baby Gabriel's mother!!!

March 12, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kelly

And the search cost tax payers how much??!! We need to stop allowing criminals from grand standing, lying, and costing $$ and personnel that could be used elsewhere! Between Casey Anthony and this woman, we will have paid how much!? Maybe we need to utilize practices such as torture or sodium penothal to get information out of these people. I am SO tired of watching criminals CONTROL and take advantage of the justice system. Maybe, just maybe, if we start being tough on people, others would think twice about doing the same thing!!

March 12, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Tracey

Lord please hear our prayers for finding this innocent child, please keep him in your unfailing care, protect him until we can find him. Whomever is caring for this child, have mercy...........please return him to his father who loves and misses him dearly. WE as a nation are holding our breaths for his safe return......in this we pray Lord Jesus Amen

March 12, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joan

I am so upset about this story! How can no one not know anything! I pray that he is brought back safely.

March 12, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. sss

Thank god!

March 12, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jen

I will continue to say lots of prayers for this little boy! My heart goes out to the father.

March 12, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rhonda

They should be looking for him in Mexico.

March 12, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Monte1957

Keep his mom in jail until she gives him back. Simple solution.

March 12, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mia

Seriously this mother needs to be slapped. Her son is missing and she is refusing to disclosue information about where he could be???? What kind of mother would do that? I cant stand people like this. I hope and pray that they find baby gabriel alive and well and when they do find him I hope that they NEVER give his "mother" access to him again. I hope that when they find him that give him to someone who is going to love him and take care of him like a mother should.

March 12, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Patricia S. Dumas

geez. why can't they sit on Gabriel's mother for info...? Really sit on her? I'm all for lawyering up, and rights, but, this is a child missing

March 12, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Susan T.

This case makes me so sad. He's such a beautiful baby. I've always wanted children, but
    wasn't able to have any. This woman was blessed with such a cutie and to do him this way is more than pathetic. Can't we give her a truth serum or that only in the movies?

March 12, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Janine T

This really breaks my heart that the mother won't disclose information on this poor little boy. Her baby has done nothing wrong, all she had to do was ask for help to save his little life. God hope he's ok.

March 12, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Heather

My prayers go out to this little guy. I am hopfull he is still in this world with us and is safe

March 12, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |