March 12th, 2010

Police chief: No signs of 'Baby Gabriel' in landfill

Gabriel Johnson was last seen in San Antonio, Texas, with his mother, Elizabeth Johnson.

A month-long search of a Texas landfill has ended with no signs of 8-month-old Gabriel Johnson, police said Friday.

“This case leaves us with somewhat of a bittersweet conclusion,” said William McManus, chief of the San Antonio Police Department. “The good news is we have no homicide. The bad news is the case is still open.”

McManus said the landfill search, in which 7,620 tons of debris were removed, is now over.

“We found no evidence of a homicide,” he said. He urged anyone with information about the child’s whereabouts to call 1-800-THE LOST.

Gabriel has been missing since December 26 and was last seen in San Antonio, with his 23-year-old mother, Elizabeth Johnson, who has refused to disclose information on his whereabouts.

Post by:
Filed under: Justice
  1. Trish S

I know they don't approve of torture, but being a mother of 3 I think this woman needs some.

March 12, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Erica

I have been scouring the internet for updates on this story so i'm glad to finally get one, even if it's not really an update. I can't tell if it's good new or bad news. The baby is more likely to have been seen by now if it were alive and easier to have been hidden for a long time if it were not alive. I really won't think like that though. I want him back with his dad and I've lost so much sleep over this. And I'd like to know what is happening with the potential adoptive mother they took into custody a few weeks ago. Have they been speaking with her? Any leads? Still holding her? Is the mom just sitting behaind bars waiting on another court date too? Is she getting any visitors?

March 12, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. denise

hopefully whoever has him will have the heart to give him back to his father. i can not imagine what he is going through knowing that somewhere out there someone has your child

March 12, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Specialk

Mom, please please please please tell someone where he is.

March 12, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. yvonne

This is so sad. I hope and pray for that innocent little angel. However just because there is no sign of homicide in the landfill to me doesn't mean that crazy mother still didn't do something horrific to him and just threw him somewhere where no one will fnd him. I am hoping and praying that he is alive and well being taken care of someone. But what kind of person would withhold him from his father? What does it say about them????

March 12, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. topotu

GOD bless all the law enforcement officials and all the physical workers on this heartfelt endevor......May God help this mom....how desperate she must have been after being such a victim of society herself......let us show her some compassion and maybe she will help bring her baby back to family....one can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

March 12, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Marine57

Elizabeth Johnson, who has refused to disclose information on his whereabouts?
    Hey, why don't we try waterboarding her!! 🙂

March 12, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Pappee

This woman is something. Good thing she isn't my daughter. I would be in jail. It amazes me how one so called human being can do to another human being; her own child. She just doesn't want the father to have the baby. I am hoping she gave the baby to somebody. But if that is the case, it looks like they would come forward. My heart goes out to the baby, father, and grandmother. This kind of person should not be allow to walk among decent human beings. People that would rather give a baby away rather then to the father need help. Trying to hurt that person just because they don't want to be with you. VERY SELFISH. I pray that someone will come forward with the information you all need for a successful conclusion to this case. I am praying the baby will be found alive and well.

Take away her cigarettes; tv priviledges; keep her in lock down and Don't feed her and she will talk.

March 12, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. vinci

God bless you Gabe, wherever you are.

March 12, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Moonbeam

I find it hard to believe that Gabriel's mother would have confessed to murder to Gabriel's father if she really had done it. It seemed more a tactic to just upset him. I just hope she really gave this baby to somebody and is staying in jail to spite the father and not because she disposed of the body so well that she knows it will never be found.

By contrast, Casey Anthony always denied having killed her daughter, so the comparisons people try to make between these cases are not well taken in that respect.

March 12, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Corinne

Now this woman can be sued for all the tax payers money that went into this search because she won't talk.

March 12, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ms. J

If she did not want to give any information on his whereabouts then it seems that she had something to do with his disappearance. Sad, sad, sad!!!

March 12, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Gigi

I am opposed to the death penalty, against waterboarding but I make the exception in this case. This less than human monster should be tortured until she tells where the baby is

March 12, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Floridian

It's sad to see that a person so young is so evil. I hope God protect this baby in whatever place he is. What a shame for her family.

March 12, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mommy of three

What is wrong with Elizabeth Johnson? Is there a chance that she has hidden him with someone to save him from an abusive relationship of some sort? I don't know all the details that have been made public, but it's unthinkable that this mother won't disclose her son's whereabouts! Perhaps she needs her meals witheld until she gives his location...and a good beating? Sounds like she knows but won't tell. I must be missing something here. Please comment with case info.

March 12, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |