March 14th, 2010

Widespread power blackout hits Chile

Much of Chile was in the dark Sunday after a widespread blackout knocked out power to 90 percent of the country, CNN's sister network in the country reported.

The blackout was caused by a failure to the country's central electric system, but it was unclear what led to the failure, CNN Chile reported, citing Chilectra, a power company that provides electricity to the capital, Santiago.

Subway service was also affected, CNN Chile said, but all passengers had been evacuated from stopped trains as of Sunday night.

The blackout comes two weeks after a massive 8.8-magnitude earthquake struck the country, killing more than 500 people. Aftershocks as high as magnitude 7.2 continue to disrupt recovery efforts.

Post by:
Filed under: World
  1. Mr. Anderson

We can catch a break!
    Chile's marketing to attract tourism once again will be "Chile, the country best prepared to face the 2012 cataclysm".

March 14, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mr. Anderson

Oops, I mean "We can't catch a break".

March 14, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Valeria

a rare situation in chile lived here tonight, was a little scary because of the disaster in which we live.

March 14, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Donna Martinez

Lights are on...but wondering if anyone is home. We live in the community of Las Condes in Santiago. We were without light for over an 1 hour. Police began to patrol the area, helicopters took to the air with spot lights. I was nervous given the continuing aftershocks of the earthquake two weeks ago. Our neighborhood (in the Apoquindo/Burgos/Escuela Militar) area remained calm.

March 14, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Katherine Riebe

These are challenging times for the Chilians. I pray that Mother Earth calms down a bit and that the electrical systems get back up and running!

March 14, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. barbara

Is it not obvious that due to the several earthquakes thgat hit that region, perhaps that is why the central power went out? Has anyone of the cnn reporters noticed of the seemingly constand earthquakes that have occured throughout the world just within the last 2 weeks?? Just wondering, because I have noticed. 🙂

March 14, 2010 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Daniel

This cud be a result of the impact of a solar flare!

NASA told the magnetosphere is weaken on the South america

March 14, 2010 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jose martinez

i didnt know this information... whats it going on with my country,,,, i cant believe all that..... earthquakes, aftershock and now this then what....

March 15, 2010 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  9. Joe

Hmm... I thought Earth Hour wasn't until the end of the month....

March 17, 2010 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  10. Andres Ojeda

Genial!

August 4, 2010 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  11. Esme Fisher

earth hour is really a great way to promote environmental awareness',:

October 1, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mixer Shower

earth hour really helps promote awareness on how to conserve energy "`"

October 18, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Acne Health Treatments ·

we always join the Earth Hour because it is one of the ways that you can show your support on the environment ""

November 8, 2010 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  14. nikes revenue 2007

Thank you for another informative blog. Where else could I get that type of information written in such an ideal way? I've a project that I'm just now working on, and I've been on the look out for such information.

August 14, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. tennis ball mortar

hello there and thank you for your information – I’ve definitely picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise a few technical points using this website, since I experienced to reload the website lots of times previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I'm complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will very frequently affect your placement in google and could damage your quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I’m adding this RSS to my email and can look out for much more of your respective exciting content. Ensure that you update this again very soon..

January 5, 2012 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |