March 15th, 2010

Update: Tiger returning to golf, but no date set yet

[Updated 3:57] Listen to PGA Commissioner Tim Finchem discuss Tiger Woods' return to the tour and the impact of his absence.

[Updated 2:48 p.m.] PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem said Tiger Woods is preparing to return to golf, but he does not know the specific date or event when that would happen.

"We have the general information that Tiger is preparing to play," Finchem said.

The PGA chief noted that speculation was focusing on Woods returning at the end of March and said if that was the case "then we will know soon."

"He'll give us reasonable notice because we know we've got some preparation to do," he said. "But I don't have the specific date when he's going to come back."

[Posted 12:42 p.m.] The wait for a date for Tiger Woods’ return to golf continues - but perhaps today is the day fans will get an answer.

With two weeks until practice rounds begin for the Masters, speculation is swirling around the subject of a teleconference scheduled for 2:30 p.m. with PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem (We'll be listening live and you can too.)

Even if Tiger is not officially on the agenda, surely his name will soon come up in questions.

Finchem said yesterday he expects Tiger to give him a heads-up soon about when he’ll be back on the Tour. Perhaps he's gotten one and we'll finally learn when Woods (and ratings) will return to the golf world.

The Associated Press recently cited "two people with knowledge of his plans" who said Woods would not return until the Masters in Augusta, Georgia, which begins with practice rounds on April 6 and ends with the tournament from April 9-12.

Woods, 34, stepped away from the tour late last year after crashing his black Cadillac Escalade into a fire hydrant and then a tree near his home outside Orlando, Florida. He later admitted cheating on his wife.

1. fed stanski

i am glad that he is comming back golf will be better too watch now i didnt watch golf since he left tiger you dont have too explain anything too anyone love tiger i am 67 years old ...snd love wacthing tiger woods play he makes golf....

March 15, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Paula

Comment No 2, Candy . Ditto, I hope he comes back sooner than the Masters. Get over it.

March 15, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Smith

Here's the problem I see with Tiger returning:

1. For years, the coverage has been centered on Tiger.

2. Other players have expressed how tired of all the coverage he gets, plus how his departure has affected the PGA and how everyone is still talking more about Tiger then the actual game.

3. When Tiger finally does comeback, the focus will be on Tiger and his comeback, how his game will be, how is he doing, how is his marriage, etc etc etc etc. Now throw in people in the audience that may be there for the sole point of harassing Woods as he tries to play and his return could become as big a distraction as his absence has been.

March 15, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. kelly

I hope he's back! I watch golf; but i really watch golf when tiger is playing cause he's always in contention.

March 15, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. John

I look forward to the return of Tiger. The guy’s skill level is among the greatest of all time. As for his personal life well to me it is just that his personal life not mine or any other person. As far as I'm concerned the only person he needs to apologize to is and was his wife he cheated on her not on me nor did he cheat the game itself.

March 15, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. D

Yeah Jeff – you and the few thousand other people who tuned into the Doral probably had a great time.

March 15, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. rainbow1

They may not forget, but given time many will forgive. Mark my words.

March 15, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Rob Banks

@Tiffany:

The golfers on the PGA TOUR have provided some _excellent_ golf this year; Pebble was a thrill coming down to a birdie on the 18th, WGC match play was phenomenal, and this weekend's return to the winner's circle of Ernie Els – dominating with a four stroke win. Anyone who knows anything about golf at the professional level knows that golfers today are better than they have ever been, period. It's just that Tiger stands head-and-shoulders over them...which is what makes him the greatest that ever lived.

March 15, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Steve

I am not condoning his actions, but even high level golf pros say he is the only one that can play all the shots like nobody else!

March 15, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Larry

I now really enjoy watching golf now that Tiger is gone. Tiger may be a good golfer but when he is playing he is the only one they cover, It's now nice to hear there are also other golfers playing in the tournament. We also have to remember that this is a gentlemens game which Ernie Els truly is, Tiger dosen't even rate to shine his shoes.

March 15, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. storminnorman

Tiger Woods is quite possibly the greatest athlete of this generation. What he does/did with his personal life is his business, what he does on the course is something special.

If it was Ernie Els cheating on his wife, the media wouldnt even care. Leave the man alone, hes apologized, now its time to move on.

Best of luck to Tiger at the Masters.

March 15, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Chris

There is nothing to forgive him for. He did nothing wrong. Cheating is bad, but it is a personal matter and he only needs to apologize to his wife and kids for it. If i were one of the competitors to Accenture or Gatorade, I'd look to pick him up cheap right now. Tiger, the golfer, rules!

March 15, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Steve

Stay away as long as you like Tiger. I hear from lots of real golf fans, those of us who love the game and seeing great shots, that the TV coverage is 1000% more interesting when Tiger is not around. Instead of spending 3 minutes watching him line up a shot, drink water, grimace, etc... we get to see other players playing golf. Imagine! The TV coverage fawning over his every move is sickening. Let's see the GOLF!

March 15, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sebastian

Tiger Woods is compulsive at everything he does. I have no doubt he will come back on a mission. I'm willing to be that however he would have played before, he will play better now. It's him against his detractors .... he'll thrive on that.

March 15, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Michele

I don't care what Tiger does or doesn't do off the golf course. That's his business and not myt concern. All you sanctimonius, judgmental people need to get over yourselves and worry about you own lives. I do know that I won't watch golf until he does comes back. It's a big snooze fest without him. I have no doubt I will never see another player of his caliber in my life time.

March 15, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |