March 15th, 2010

Update: Tiger returning to golf, but no date set yet

[Updated 3:57] Listen to PGA Commissioner Tim Finchem discuss Tiger Woods' return to the tour and the impact of his absence.

[Updated 2:48 p.m.] PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem said Tiger Woods is preparing to return to golf, but he does not know the specific date or event when that would happen.

"We have the general information that Tiger is preparing to play," Finchem said.

The PGA chief noted that speculation was focusing on Woods returning at the end of March and said if that was the case "then we will know soon."

"He'll give us reasonable notice because we know we've got some preparation to do," he said. "But I don't have the specific date when he's going to come back."

[Posted 12:42 p.m.] The wait for a date for Tiger Woods’ return to golf continues - but perhaps today is the day fans will get an answer.

With two weeks until practice rounds begin for the Masters, speculation is swirling around the subject of a teleconference scheduled for 2:30 p.m. with PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem (We'll be listening live and you can too.)

Even if Tiger is not officially on the agenda, surely his name will soon come up in questions.

Finchem said yesterday he expects Tiger to give him a heads-up soon about when he’ll be back on the Tour. Perhaps he's gotten one and we'll finally learn when Woods (and ratings) will return to the golf world.

The Associated Press recently cited "two people with knowledge of his plans" who said Woods would not return until the Masters in Augusta, Georgia, which begins with practice rounds on April 6 and ends with the tournament from April 9-12.

Woods, 34, stepped away from the tour late last year after crashing his black Cadillac Escalade into a fire hydrant and then a tree near his home outside Orlando, Florida. He later admitted cheating on his wife.

1. john

I was a big Tiger fan, but also of Ernie, who has always been a class act. I think it would be very easy for fans to get just as excited about Phil, Ernie, Camillo, and others, as they were about Tiger.

March 15, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jon

I believe he is going to get a lot of razzing and booing from the tournament attendees. And probably rightly so. And what are they going to do about it? Nothing I would think. Booing at every type of athletic endeavour is normal – in baseball, football, tennis, socker, hockey, basketball, etc, etc. Golf has always been a bit above that due to the "quiet" which is supposed to be afforded the golfer. However, this time may be quite different.
    The "boo birds" will be out in large numbers. Hopefully they won't razz Tiger during his backswing.

March 15, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. DC

Oh they will forget about it...and you will too just as soon as he starts dominating the game again. Don't be surprised if he wins the Masters. Oh yeah and Ernie...lets see how many he wins with Tiger in the field. Welcome back Tiger, they all miss you, they just don't want to admit it.

March 15, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Michael Musto

Atheletes and politican have cheated for many years and now Tiger has admitted he has, now we want his blood. I am not saying forgive and forget but let him correct his wayward ways if possible and go one with life. finally, like no one has ever cheated on anything!!!!

March 15, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  5. VERNIS ROBERTSON

He is a very exciting player , other golfers are not consistent like Tiger. Every women is going to have something negative to say about Tiger. Get over it . He didn't cheat on you. His personal life is his persoanl life. WELCOME BACK TIGER . .

March 15, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Dale

I rarely watch unless Tiger is playing.
    Say what you want about Tiger, but he has done more for the world of golf than any other human. Ever.
    Tiger's personal life is none of your business anyway.
    All you people who insist on judging, should shut up. Who do you think you are?
    Do you think Tiger owes you something? An apology?
    He doesn't owe you anything. He has to answer to his wife and kids, end of story.
    Holier than thou, you make me wanna barf.
    Go Tiger, welcome back to the light.

March 15, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. joan

I can't wait for the Masters and hopefully Tiger will be there!

March 15, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Frank

Not all the hype about Big Ben, Tiger made a big mistake,he has paid his dues, not to sure Els would have won if Tiger would have been playing. The boys had better bring their A game when he does return because they will need it.

March 15, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. matt

tiger is golf. with out tiger earnies pay check from doral last week would be less than half of what it is now. all of those other golfers out there owe tiger at least half of everything they make from the tour. tiger come back soon!!

March 15, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. robert

Tiger will represent the return of golf to millions of fans that believe that the morals of a man can only be judged by someone or something other than man.

March 15, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. LO

Forgive? What does he owe you or I that he should grovel at our feet for "forgiveness"? He's good for the game and he's awesome. How many times in your lifetime do you get to say, "I watched the greatest of all time do his/her thing!"?

March 15, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

I don't miss the liar in any case. I'm sick to death of ALL GOLF in the context of Woods. Even at Doral this week Johnny Miller kept mentioning Woods... WHY? He wasn't even playing. Of what value is a stupid comment like "Tiger had a shot just like that."? WHO CARES?

I hope Woods gets booed off the course when he returns... ENOUGH WITH WOODS!

March 15, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Steve

It is so pitifult the PGA and the fans continue to put Tiger on a pedestal. To me he is a pathetic human being and I could care less how good of a golfer he may be.

March 15, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Yogi

Tiger – good, bad or ugly, you have to pass through all that will follow...if you do plan to, then better come back right away. Howsoever cold the water may be in the pool, you have to jump into it, testing it by dipping your toes isn't going to help...get on with it.

March 15, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. mary ann

I am sick of hearing about Tigers mishaps. I just feel like a disappointed mother in her child . I have watched him since he was a child and I think his life was to structured.

No one is on rothselberger for escapades which I think are ten times worse

March 15, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |