March 15th, 2010

Update: Tiger returning to golf, but no date set yet

[Updated 3:57] Listen to PGA Commissioner Tim Finchem discuss Tiger Woods' return to the tour and the impact of his absence.

[Updated 2:48 p.m.] PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem said Tiger Woods is preparing to return to golf, but he does not know the specific date or event when that would happen.

"We have the general information that Tiger is preparing to play," Finchem said.

The PGA chief noted that speculation was focusing on Woods returning at the end of March and said if that was the case "then we will know soon."

"He'll give us reasonable notice because we know we've got some preparation to do," he said. "But I don't have the specific date when he's going to come back."

[Posted 12:42 p.m.] The wait for a date for Tiger Woods’ return to golf continues - but perhaps today is the day fans will get an answer.

With two weeks until practice rounds begin for the Masters, speculation is swirling around the subject of a teleconference scheduled for 2:30 p.m. with PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem (We'll be listening live and you can too.)

Even if Tiger is not officially on the agenda, surely his name will soon come up in questions.

Finchem said yesterday he expects Tiger to give him a heads-up soon about when he’ll be back on the Tour. Perhaps he's gotten one and we'll finally learn when Woods (and ratings) will return to the golf world.

The Associated Press recently cited "two people with knowledge of his plans" who said Woods would not return until the Masters in Augusta, Georgia, which begins with practice rounds on April 6 and ends with the tournament from April 9-12.

Woods, 34, stepped away from the tour late last year after crashing his black Cadillac Escalade into a fire hydrant and then a tree near his home outside Orlando, Florida. He later admitted cheating on his wife.

1. supertiger

I watch golf only if he plays golf. Hes unprecedented in his routine and work ethic on and off the course with his foundation and what he was done for thousands of kids. The definition of practice makes perfect.

March 15, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jean-Louis Ferland

the sooner the better.I won't watch golf until Tiger is back.Period.

March 15, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. pockets

The PGA is one sad sad organization to say the least. I used to watch but I always watched to see t The Cheetah get beat. I loved it, the problem was he wasnt' beaten enough. Its all he knows, he has no other life but putting a ball in a hole, (pardon the pun). He is paying the price for living such a hollow life. Next time you are putting on a Nike product think of the women and men he was in bed with, and the shill he truly is.
    I hope he never returns to golf but moves to Sweden and raises his kids as a decent father and husband. Think of the two kids he "almost fathered" before they died, thru mis-carraige with one of his mistresses.

March 15, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mike

Tiger doesn't owe me anything, and it doesn't matter who's playing because I'll fall asleep in my chair no matter who is on.

March 15, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. phil

I do not miss Woods one bit, and I agree with Ed from Sante fe.....why are we talking about Woods when he is not even playing.
    Tiger is a fraud period. He prostituted himself (his image) to any sponsor that would give him a ton of cash, raked in millions pretending to be something he is not. Now he wants privacy, no way tiger, you can not have it both ways.
    He does not care about his sponsors, his fans, the PGA..........most of all his family. If he did, he would not be in this position today.
    As much as Tiger has brought to the game, he has caused jsut as much damage to a gentlemen's game, loss of jobs, sponsors.
    May your return to golf be as miserable as the hurt you caused those closest to you.

March 15, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mac in Denver

Would not care to be Woods when he shows his face in public again. It would be a miracle if he is able to put together a good round.

March 15, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. RufusVonDufus

Candy Shoaf,

You might not watch golf unless Tiger is playing, but I and many others don't watch it when he is. He is not golf, he is simply an overhyped piece of trash who is admittedly a very good player. I watched it before he came on the scene and I will watch it when he is gone. Gold does NOT need Woods. Woods needs golf!

March 15, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. henry mayer

Tiger plays fifteen tournaments a year. The tour will exist if he plays or does not play. We do not know if his personal life will have an adverse impact on his play, or if his conduct and his affairs will adversely impact the attendance. There is no doubt that his behaviour off the course will reduce the unmber of people who will come out to watch him. Time will tell how many sponsors he has lost and the impact that has on the purse structure. He will not be the draw he was.

March 15, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Chris

I, too, noticed that Tiger's name is mentioned in every other sentence whether he's playing or not-it's ridiculous. I've watched golf since I was a kid and I understand his popularity and the attention/money he brings to the game but at least while he's out-can we please give the focus on who IS playing? Congrats to Ernie at Doral!
    Tiger will return when he returns-all this constant media speculation is sickening...

March 15, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. phil

It's not complicated, i want to see him play golf again. No Tiger, i'm not interested in watching. Multiply me by the many thousands and you get the idea of why the tour is concerened. I don't watch, sponsors wont pay....they don't pay and sooner or later it will reflect in players purses. So don't let any huuuuge golf fans fool you about how the game will survive without him. Of course it will it always has, just not the same way. My TV is off the golf chanel....for now

March 15, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jc

why would people have to forgive a man who did nothing to them? Who cares about who he sleeps with.

March 15, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. John Smith

Dale hit in on the head!!! He does have to answer to his Wife and Kids. There will never b another Golfer in our life time like him! U are watching the greatest golfer play. Hope he wins at Augusta, Go Tiger!!!!!!!

March 15, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jeffrey

I will respect Tiger Woods what he wants to play golf. Of course, I will watch him! We need to respect his business and personal. Media or people have no right to know their personal like my personal. Everybody made mistake in the past time including me!

March 15, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  14. JOJO

who cares about his personal life, that's his problem not the yours. he is still the best golfer and fun to watch.

March 15, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Liz

I've been enjoying watching the Tiger-free golf coverage. I usually don't watch if Tiger is playing, can't stand him, nor can I stand how the announcers fawn all over him and forget that there are others on the course. Don't get me wrong, Tiger is a great talent, I'm not dismissing that fact, there is no question about that, I personally don't care the guy, haven't since he "moved' the boulder years back saying it wasn't an imbedded object. I'm tired of seeing Tiger fling his clubs and swearing, and I haven't missed him at all. Tiger couldn't even let Y.E. Yang have his moment at the PGA, normally if you are in 2nd and your chance to win is over you finish out so the eventual champion has the spotlight. No Tiger wouldn't do that, he had to mark and force Yang to putt first, just so the spotlight was still on Tiger. He's a poor sport, a poor example of a husband/father, and though I have no doubt he'll back for the Masters, I've thoroughly enjoy and will continue to enjoy Tiger-free golf. Watching the Monday finish of the Puerto Rico Open as we speak....

March 15, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |