March 15th, 2010

Update: Tiger returning to golf, but no date set yet

[Updated 3:57] Listen to PGA Commissioner Tim Finchem discuss Tiger Woods' return to the tour and the impact of his absence.

[Updated 2:48 p.m.] PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem said Tiger Woods is preparing to return to golf, but he does not know the specific date or event when that would happen.

"We have the general information that Tiger is preparing to play," Finchem said.

The PGA chief noted that speculation was focusing on Woods returning at the end of March and said if that was the case "then we will know soon."

"He'll give us reasonable notice because we know we've got some preparation to do," he said. "But I don't have the specific date when he's going to come back."

[Posted 12:42 p.m.] The wait for a date for Tiger Woods’ return to golf continues - but perhaps today is the day fans will get an answer.

With two weeks until practice rounds begin for the Masters, speculation is swirling around the subject of a teleconference scheduled for 2:30 p.m. with PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem (We'll be listening live and you can too.)

Even if Tiger is not officially on the agenda, surely his name will soon come up in questions.

Finchem said yesterday he expects Tiger to give him a heads-up soon about when he’ll be back on the Tour. Perhaps he's gotten one and we'll finally learn when Woods (and ratings) will return to the golf world.

The Associated Press recently cited "two people with knowledge of his plans" who said Woods would not return until the Masters in Augusta, Georgia, which begins with practice rounds on April 6 and ends with the tournament from April 9-12.

Woods, 34, stepped away from the tour late last year after crashing his black Cadillac Escalade into a fire hydrant and then a tree near his home outside Orlando, Florida. He later admitted cheating on his wife.

1. bak

I gotta agree with Steve: Tiger is up on some pedestal as though the whole world of Golf can't live without that jerk. I watch golf all the time. PGA golf is just fine without him. He's certainly nobody to be admired.

March 15, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mitch

We all have our demons. The only difference between us and Tiger is that we know what his demons are (or at least one of them). Get over yourselves.

March 15, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Christine

I'm pretty confident Tiger's entourage rented a house in Augusta for Masters week. So we'll see him then

March 15, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jo

I don't watch the game unless he is playing. His private life is just that . . . private and none of my business.

March 15, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Marc

Oh please Master Tiger, come back to us (here all the PGA officers are bowing, more than Obama in front of the Emperor of Japan). In each tournament you would kindly accept to play we'll organize it for you and for you only: there will be shades between your so elegant body and the viewers, on each tee, in order them to not be of any disturbance, on the course we'll place along the fairways, on each side the same mobile and moving shades in order to give you privacy and intimacy, at the clubhouse we'll build a new one for you each time you would accept to appear, with a press room where only reporters sympathetic to your greatness shall be allowed, from the green of the 18th to the clubhouse we'll have a tunnel that shall protect you and hopefully give you some peace of mind.
    Alleluiah !"Golf is Tiger, Tiger is golf" to be repeated until the populace is convinced and the ratings are back. The phenomenon of a sport that as André Agassi said one day is not really a sport is now the Pope (God is out of reach now), everyone is listening to his "Read my lips".
    How pathetic is America when money is the name of the game.
    By the way, where was Mr. Woods when his peers in other sports (and his friend R. Federer among them) were organizing some form of help to the badly and terribly hurt people of Haïti ? Licking his self-inflicted woods, sorry wounds ?

March 15, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joseph Leeks

Hey, whats all the fuss, Tiger plays a different caliber and style of golf as oppose to other golfers. Yes it is ashame that the PGA banks on Tiger, but the fact is not just the PGA, its the other industries out there too. I am sure that tiger will be back on game as will his family be by his side. My best prayer is for the Woods family to come out swinging and knocking in them Egales and Birdies for the win. I have forgiven tiger and pray that he has learned a lesson. Yet, I say to all my other co-fans, no athlete is without a foul ball. At least he is willing to admit, apologize and move on. We as society need to do the same thing. I am sure Elin has gotten an ear full from everyone, but the choice is hers and we as society need to do the same respect her decision. I pray good will to the Wood family and more. God Bless

March 15, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lewy

Woods can dry up and blow away for all I care. It would be good riddance of bad rubbish.

March 15, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bubba

Actually, Tiger has lots of dates, just not one pertaining to playing golf, now don't get me wrong, he is doing a lot of playing, just not golf.

March 15, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bluejeans

First game or two will probably be rough. After that, people should settle down – except for the occasional publicity-seeker.

March 15, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. George Bush

Tigar will be at the Masters, everyone knows it. And if he is not there the rating for the Masters is going to be one of the lowest yet.

March 15, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Enitan

Don't care nor give a damn if he ever returns to golf or show his adulteres face in the public ever again.

There is a name for people such as this man, but can't say it or else my comment will not be posted.

I don't feel sorry for Elin either, was a wife for 17 years, so there is no way she can convice me she is not aware.

Money moey money and its the root of almost all evil and very bad behavior. She enjoys the money.

I won't even dignify him by calling his name.

March 15, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Midwestboy72

I couldn't care less about his personal issues. None of my business. Hope to see him again on the course soon.

March 15, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. MonasteryMonkey

When an entire sport is dependent on a single individual for ratings something must be terribly wrong.

March 15, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. HR

Woods is an arrogant, sexual deviant, he has ruined the "gentlemanly" reputation of golf as his "brothers" have ruined football and basketball – he should be barred from returning to the PGA. He disgusts the morality of Americans everywhere.

March 15, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. John

Golf was around way before Woods. I enjoy watching golf when the announcers aren't salivating over him.

March 15, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |