March 16th, 2010

Is the Masters the right venue for Tiger's return?

Tiger Woods announced this morning that he’d make his return to golf at the Masters in April. Woods has been away from the tour since he crashed his vehicle into a fire hydrant and then a tree near his home late last year.

Joe Posnanski, writing for Golf.com, says Woods’ planned return at the Masters “was the only logical choice.”

“Tiger Woods will play the Masters. Well, of course he will. The story had to end up at the Masters. There were people who thought that he might play Arnold Palmer's tournament at Bay Hill next week or he might wait until later in the year to enter a tournament,” he writes.

Mike Walker of Golf.com disagrees, arguing Tiger’s return is “too much, too soon.”

“Without question, Woods at Augusta will be must-see TV, but it comes with strings attached. For every hour of the tournament on television, showing the world's best player against those snow-white bunkers and pink-and-violet azaleas, we'll get another 20 hours of commentary on MSESPNBCNNBS, thousands of tweets, a dozen New York Post covers and maybe another Howard Stern beauty pageant.”

Whatever the case, Richard Deitsch, who writes a media column for SI.com, says the Masters will be riveting television.

He quotes CBS News and Sports President Sean McManus - whose network will be televising the Masters - as saying that “the first tournament Tiger Woods plays again, wherever it is, will be the biggest media event other than the Obama inauguration in the past 10 or 15 years.”

Golf.com has more reaction from across the golfing world to the Woods announcement.

And watch Damon Hack of Sports Illustrated discuss Tiger's expected return.

Filed under: Tiger Woods
  1. Kay Bogart

I am pleased to see Tiger play Again Leave him alone and let Tiger get on with his life he is not first person to do wrong and certainly not the last . I applaud him for fussing up GOOD LUCK TIGER

March 17, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  2. Rainier

This is America where everyone should get a 2nd chance regardless of their social and financial status. Let the man play golf. Let the man repair his personal and professional life. If we can forgive John Daly 1000 times, we can forgive Tiger this one time. He will come back even more determined to prove the naysayers wrong.

March 17, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. Barton K. Hawkins

Look, the man plays GOLF. Like movie acters and songters, his views, actions, and indeed opinions are of so little real import to the world at large that his presence, beyond the world of GOLF, is simply meaningless.

I would just as soon take Tiger's viewpoint on ANYTHING (outside of his expertise, namely GOLF) as I would, say, Jennifer "I am an idiot," Anniston's views on politics, which is to say ZERO.

March 17, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  4. jake

This is quite rediculous. I love golf. I personally dont care about what he did. What he did on his own time was his business. Was it right, no! But he is one of the best golfers and may go down as the best so I want to see him play golf. I hope he wins too!

March 17, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  5. Bob

You are all pathetic.

It is Golf – GUESS WHAT – HE DIDN"T CHEAT AT THE SPORT. It is for none of you fools to judge what he did off the golf course. He is the greatest golfer to live, the best that will ever be. As long as he didn't cheat at the game – then he is in my book, possibly, the best athlete to ever live. Everyone has their deamons and I am not advocating for his behavior, but until we live in a world of robots where everyone is a perfect droid, then everyone needs to live and let live. Enjoy watching him crush at the masters.

March 17, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  6. Stephan

If it was me in this situation, I would without a doubt put my "healing process" with the family as my priority FIRST. I do not by that going to the Masters is part of this process, so soon. He should retire from golf if he truly want the best for everyone. He has enough money for all the things he and his family could ever need heretofore. I think it is his ego and missing being in the limelight that is his priority; unfortunately.

March 17, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  7. Al

Oh for the love of God. Who really cares? He's interesting to watch and we have much bigger fish to fry than Tiger. Healthcare, 2 wars, horrible economy just to name a few.

If everyone is being honest, 98% of these pro athletes, politicians and titans of industry are all cheating on their wives. He's under the microscope because he built this image so he could get lucrative endorsements...good for him.

He should leave his wife and go after Wilt's record.

March 17, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  8. Colleen

"Let He Who Is Without Sin Cast The First Stone" – Tiger's problems are a PERSONAL matter between Tiger and his family, not a WORK matter. If any of you had discretions/affairs, how would you feel about coming back to work in the private sector let alone in the public where everyone would be scrutinizing you. And as per John, "I so wish I could go to the Maters (sic) and whenever Woods is putting, I would be in the front row with my back turned." If you dislike Tiger so much, then don't show up at the Masters and don't watch him on TV either. And as far as being a role model, parents should be their children's role model, not anyone in Hollywood or anyone in sports.

March 17, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  9. Geosuicide

This is laughable. Ok – Tiger is married, had some flings and didn't want the story to come public. Now it seems the majority is on a kick about how bad he is, blah blah blah. Do us all a favor and shut up? The man didn't do anything other sports professional's, politicians, The President of the United States, CEO's, executives and Joe Blow down the street hasn't done/didn't do/is still doing! With this logic, would you boycott a gas station because he had a fling with another woman? Quit going to Wal-Mart because the store manager got some in the janitor closet?

Let the man play golf. It's what he does. In the meantime, quit worrying so much about what others are doing and worry a little more about yourself. Society in general, more so each day, is losing the ability to, like my Mom says, "mind their own damn business".

And lastly, I would LOVE to see some of these vulture reporters get called out on some of their transgressions. It ain't no fun when the rabbit has the gun.

March 17, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  10. Chuck

No. This will (is) causing a media circus and the Masters doesn't derserve that. The Masters doesn't need Woods. They are sold out so far in advance that it's almost impossible to get a ticket. This is a selfish move on TW's part. Anything for a chance at another major. If he wanted to play Agusta, he should have come back a week earlier and let the media circus happen elsewhere.

March 17, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  11. billy beckmann

You know I believe we all should for give Tiger or at least not stand in judgement that is up to a highier calling .But to say he hasn't hurt anyone but himself,,,,I think we need to think about that.He let down a lot of kid's that aspired to be like him and now there will still be some that want to be like him.And think just because they are great at something they can get away with anything they wanna do and still be great.As for the Pro's who want him back for the interest and money he generates well you don't understand integrety and that's what golf is supposed to be an example of.

March 17, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  12. essoh

the only mistake tiger made is getting married in the first place. let the guy be.Blake is right people's lives are so miserable that they are looking for someone worst than them.well he owes everything to his kids and wife not us.He owes us nothing.

March 17, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  13. critic

I don't understand why everyone is complaining about tiger woods....this is nothing new every once in a while theirs an athlete out their who either kills, rapes and does something stupid and that's worst than what tiger did and they get away with it. Complaining about tiger will just make him stronger like every other player who did something before him.

March 17, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  14. frank

Tiger is a golfer, an athlete. I have followed golf for over 40 years. I followed Tiger because i followed golf and he is arguably the greatest golfer of our time. I didn't ever care about a persons personal life. That is just media hype. Tiger and the golf commissioner should be the only ones to determine when it is the right time. If it is ok with them, as a real golf follower, it is ok with me. He has earned the right because of his stature in the game to make this decision.

March 17, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  15. Chauncey

Bravo Blake! Those that continue to throw stones should look in the mirror and put themselves up for judgement. I wish the best for Tiger and his family, the continued critisim does not help mend the damage the has been, and by the way, he apologized publicly! I except it, even though what he did to his family was very wrong but if God forgives why cant we? To all those people that breed this negativity, you are the proplem this world, negativity breeds negativity like cancer and creates unrest in our society! Learn how to forgive and move forward and pass that on to the people around you, it might help fix some of the problems in this ever changing society! Shame on you if you cant forgive!!! GO TIGER, I have faith in you and so do the people that practice what they preach.

March 17, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |