March 16th, 2010

Is the Masters the right venue for Tiger's return?

Tiger Woods announced this morning that he’d make his return to golf at the Masters in April. Woods has been away from the tour since he crashed his vehicle into a fire hydrant and then a tree near his home late last year.

Joe Posnanski, writing for Golf.com, says Woods’ planned return at the Masters “was the only logical choice.”

“Tiger Woods will play the Masters. Well, of course he will. The story had to end up at the Masters. There were people who thought that he might play Arnold Palmer's tournament at Bay Hill next week or he might wait until later in the year to enter a tournament,” he writes.

Mike Walker of Golf.com disagrees, arguing Tiger’s return is “too much, too soon.”

“Without question, Woods at Augusta will be must-see TV, but it comes with strings attached. For every hour of the tournament on television, showing the world's best player against those snow-white bunkers and pink-and-violet azaleas, we'll get another 20 hours of commentary on MSESPNBCNNBS, thousands of tweets, a dozen New York Post covers and maybe another Howard Stern beauty pageant.”

Whatever the case, Richard Deitsch, who writes a media column for SI.com, says the Masters will be riveting television.

He quotes CBS News and Sports President Sean McManus - whose network will be televising the Masters - as saying that “the first tournament Tiger Woods plays again, wherever it is, will be the biggest media event other than the Obama inauguration in the past 10 or 15 years.”

Golf.com has more reaction from across the golfing world to the Woods announcement.

And watch Damon Hack of Sports Illustrated discuss Tiger's expected return.

Filed under: Tiger Woods
  1. Jim Morrison

Blake has it right. Get a life and let the man play golf.

March 16, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Fred

Adultery is still adultery. People who say he only hurt himself and his family are wrong.
    He was one of the few male black role models left, but because so much money is at stake, everyone wil look the other way. Very sad.

March 16, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tasty

I agree wtih Blake. What does the situation that Tiger has made of his personal life have to do with his playing golf??? Mistresses, cr accidents, wife maybe swinging a golf club at him, who cares as long as he plays golf. All I concern myself with is his ability to play golf. I don't look to golfers, basketball players, baseball players, soccer players for my moral compass. I learned my moral from my FAMILY, which is where it SHOULD start. Grow up folks...this is life...not a gsme.

March 16, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. steve

Tiger is an addict. Addicts hurt themselves first. They hurt others, but do not know the extent until they are well. They do not have the ability to see it when in their addiction. I know because i have been there. He has to move forward every day and every week. Getting back to his profession, establishing new ways of coping and trying them out in the real world is part of his recovery. Let him work out his recovery. He will be a baby in recovery. So don't expect him to be perfect. The public will expect some perfect mix of repentance and renewal and behavior. Don't count on it. He will be human. Let him practice his profession in a manner that his counselors and he agree on.

March 16, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bmore30

Tiger is a golfer, not a role model. He makes his living on the golf course. Let the man do his job. He will be a distraction only because of this ridiculous media circus. What he does in the bedroom with or without his wife is none of our business. He doesn't owe the media, fellow gofers or anyone other than his wife and family an explanation for his private affairs. Play golf and move on.

March 16, 2010 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Marissa

This incessant debate about whether it is the "right" time for Tiger Woods to return to his full time job is irrelevant, arrogant, and unspeakably condescending. Who is CNN to even imply the manner in which this man can work for his living? This story is dead. It has been dead for a while. All opinions are irrelevant. We need to move on.

March 16, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Matt

It's amazing how many people jump on a man when he's down to build themselves up. He only owes an explanation or apology to his family, not the legions of hypocrites coming out of the woodwork.

March 16, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. freelance

Tiger returning to golf at any tournament is more professional than some idiot who makes a living by asking within hours of Tiger's announcement the big question, "Is this the right tournament to start back with?"

March 16, 2010 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Anand

I agree with Blake ... Tiger Woods is a great golfer, so let him play golf. Sure, his personal life is a mess and he, and only he, needs to resolve that. But I don't tune in to the golf shows to watch the personal lives of golfers ... only to watch some great golf. So, while his personal life makes for juicy TV, just remember, he is famous for his golf game. If he was not a famous athlete, no one but his wife and family would have cared. Go Tiger!

March 16, 2010 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Fran

Blake I agree with you – let him play golf. I am sure all of us are so perfect that we don't make mistakes – however big or small. There was no murder, there was nothing he did illegally, there was just plan stupidity on his part. We are so quick to condemn others when they don't conform to the way we think they should. My expectations are just that – mine! If you don't want to watch Tiger play golf, don't but enough already. Tiger has always been a distraction at any tournament he played and coming back to the Masters will be no different. For goodness sake, his ho'ing around didn't do a darn thing to his golf swing or the will / know how to win! Tiger, I have missed you on the golf course and look forward to watching you play the 2010 Masters! Those that didn't like you before still don't like you – those that admired your game still admire your game. Let your clubs do the talking for you!

March 16, 2010 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. john

I think its about time he comes back, regardless of what he has done he is the best golfer playing today. What happened between himself and his wife is totally their business, not mine
    I just want to start enjoying watching the game again its been pretty boring for me the last few months.

March 16, 2010 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Frances

Tiger cares about Tiger, period. If he cared about the game of golf at all, he would not make The Masters his first tournament to play in this year. His fellow golfers have asked him not to do this and he couldn't care less about them. Was there EVER a doubt that he would miss this major? None at all. At least we won't have to listen to him say, "I don't know when I'll be returning to golf". What a joke. He knew all along that he would be back for The Masters, if not before. He is turning into an absolute joke. Tiger, why don't you use some of your multi-millions to buy some class?

March 17, 2010 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  13. JLP

Get a life people! Tiger screwed up and he is at the moment still making amends for it. His job is golf. He loves to do it. We could only hope that he will be a good husband and father. I personally will give him the benefit of the doubt. I understand many of you have trouble with forgiveness but get over it. Tiger has tranformed the game of golf and he still has much more to contribute. I eagerly await his return.

J

March 17, 2010 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  14. william

Hey the Masters is just another golf game when it comes down to it. Woods decided to play in this GAME and I don't think the PGA has a problem with it. As a matter of fact Tiger is the one that brought real popularity to the game, sort of like ALI to boxing. Therefore no matter what some peoples beliefs are, he is going to allowed to play the game of golf. The man is human, most of the people who are criticizing his life will never have some woman or man chase them the way people chase him.

March 17, 2010 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  15. Nichole

I agree that Tiger made mistakes which many professional athletes make and he shouldn't be judged by his mistakes alone. I would hope that none of us are ever judged by our worst days. However, he has (or had) many female fans and having him show up at the Masters – at one of the only remaining golf courses in the United States that doesn't allow women – seems to show yet another disregard for women. I think waiting until the next tournament would be a better choice. He needs to show the women in his life – his fans, friends and family – that he will continue to treat all women with respect. I love to watch him play golf which is what he should do. However, I have very little regard for most professional athletes because of the way they act and, in my opinion, he has degraded himself to be a self-centered, common professional athlete and I am less likely to watch him now. I am confident he can turn this situation around, but I only wish he wouldn't do it at the masters.

March 17, 2010 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |