March 16th, 2010

Is the Masters the right venue for Tiger's return?

Tiger Woods announced this morning that he’d make his return to golf at the Masters in April. Woods has been away from the tour since he crashed his vehicle into a fire hydrant and then a tree near his home late last year.

Joe Posnanski, writing for Golf.com, says Woods’ planned return at the Masters “was the only logical choice.”

“Tiger Woods will play the Masters. Well, of course he will. The story had to end up at the Masters. There were people who thought that he might play Arnold Palmer's tournament at Bay Hill next week or he might wait until later in the year to enter a tournament,” he writes.

Mike Walker of Golf.com disagrees, arguing Tiger’s return is “too much, too soon.”

“Without question, Woods at Augusta will be must-see TV, but it comes with strings attached. For every hour of the tournament on television, showing the world's best player against those snow-white bunkers and pink-and-violet azaleas, we'll get another 20 hours of commentary on MSESPNBCNNBS, thousands of tweets, a dozen New York Post covers and maybe another Howard Stern beauty pageant.”

Whatever the case, Richard Deitsch, who writes a media column for SI.com, says the Masters will be riveting television.

He quotes CBS News and Sports President Sean McManus - whose network will be televising the Masters - as saying that “the first tournament Tiger Woods plays again, wherever it is, will be the biggest media event other than the Obama inauguration in the past 10 or 15 years.”

Golf.com has more reaction from across the golfing world to the Woods announcement.

And watch Damon Hack of Sports Illustrated discuss Tiger's expected return.

Filed under: Tiger Woods
  1. Chuck

I have no problem with him returning to golf, but this was a bad choice driven by his desire to win majors. If he wanted to play the masters fine, but don't go on TV a few weeks ago and act like your not. If he wanted to play he should have returned to a lesser event and let the media have their frenzy there. All this has done i s tarnish the greatest golf venue there is. It will look the the Jerry Springer show. I for one won't be watching.

March 17, 2010 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
  2. pete

Who cares? Why is this anybody's business? Oh my God an athlete that's cheated on his wife!!! Stop the presses! What's next politicans that cheat on their wivesa? Celebrities that drink? Heard the sun came up today too, while we're reporting on rarely occuring events.
    With all the the actually important things that need to have attention paid to, this nation's turned into a bunch of gossiping school girls.

March 17, 2010 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
  3. Bev

I agree with Blake – let him play golf. We need him and have missed him in tournements. I am sure the players will be glad to get back to normal and if they win a tournement with Tiger in the field, it will be a good win. GO TIGER.

March 17, 2010 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
  4. Glynn

Public relations ploy as its best. It is a win-win situation for him. If he wins, everyonre will say it was one of the greatest wins in golf history. If he plays bad, then everyone wil say how could you expect him to win after the events of the past 6 months.

March 17, 2010 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
  5. Darrin

I have to agree with Blake. The man cheated on his wife and like it or not, it's none of our business. This is between him & his wife and he does not deserve to be crucified for his actions.

March 17, 2010 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  6. Wayne Messer

Is it illegal in golf to cheat on your wife? The answer is NO!!!! He broke no rules that I'm aware of and I'd like to see how many would show up if it were illegal to cheat on your wife in golf.

This whole thing of putting someone on a pedestal is utterly ridiculous and to think people think he owes then an apology is inane.

He only owns his family and apology and needs to account to them. Stop putting athletes in a category no one could survive unless you’re a TV Evangelist. Oh wait, they’re the worse offenders.

Get over this non-news issue and report on the results of the game as boring as that is for the people that like the sport. Nobody can say why.

March 17, 2010 at 6:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. mickey white

Ok I just fell off my chair when I heard Tigers comment that he had gone thru a long period of intense therapy on his personal issues and now is ready to return. Are yu kidding me. He thinks he can fix this in 2 months of therapy. Well his another case of a high profile,rich I am entitled star athlete thinking he is better than the rest of the world. He will repeat this behavior maybe not now but down the road. Those of us that believe in the power of psychoanalysis can witness that unresolved issues take many years of work. He obviously needs the limelight. He has to be in the public view. I don't think he is doing this for any other reason. I just wish that he could have made this an honest effort to be a better role model. I really don't think he believes he has don't anything really wrong.

March 17, 2010 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  8. Bob

Like many people, I was initially quick to condemn Tiger, and very disappointed by what he had done. I had always thought that Tiger was finally a prominent individual who was doing it the right way…good family man, good athlete, good philanthropist, good role model, although I never did like his childish tantrums and cursing whenever he got a poor result from one of his golf shots. He has now revealed his foibles. We have come to realize that he is “human”, and that it is a personal matter between him, his wife, his family, friends and business colleagues. We need to let this issue go and get on with our lives. Tiger is still a good athlete. He just has to work very diligently on getting the rest of his life back in order. And, I think he will with a typical relentlessness. I say, “Welcome back, Tiger. The sport of golf missed you. Now show us that you truly are sorry by correcting your ways.”.

March 17, 2010 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  9. Brian Pasch

Let Tiger play. He is a great golfer with flaws just like every other person on this planet. He has had a wake-up call and golf will allow him to get back on track with his life. It's amazing how many people are eager to cast the first stone as if they were blameless and without error.

March 17, 2010 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jeff

I seem to remember a lot of people saying it's a private issue between he and his family. Now, you somehow get a vote on when YOU think he's ready to start earning a living? My guess is that he will need lots of money for the eventual divorce, of which most of you will be saying "take everything he's got!".

March 17, 2010 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  11. ja

The bottom line here is, he disappointed his fans BUT it is REALLY between Tiger and his wife. I personally would never be with this man again, if he cheated on me and embarrassed my family. Again, it is between those two.I wish the media would stop keeping him in the news. Let it go, already.

March 17, 2010 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  12. Joshua

When did we come to a point where we are more concerned about a sports figure's personal life than what they are there to do in the first place? We watch sports for entertainment, can we not leave it at that?

March 17, 2010 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  13. John

Tiger has no respect for the game of golf, fellow golers or you and I. The medis hype will be on TIGER and not the Masters. Tiger and the media will destroy the greatest of all golf events for their own personal gain.Blame the media as much as Tiger.

March 17, 2010 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  14. Joel

Here, here Blake. I agree whole heartedly. All those self rightous, perfect people out there talking about how horrible Tiger is should mind their own business and shut the heck up. They make me sick with all their stupid comments. I'd be willing to bet that everyone of them have made mistakes in their lives they wish they had never done. Drugs, petty thefts, lies, affairs, hurt people they love, but just because it is Tiger Woods, they think he isn't capable of making a mistake or at least shouldn't be. There's only two people that should be discussing this and that is Elin and Tiger. I want to see him play golf and don't care what he does in his personal life. Get a life people and stop worrying about his. You'd think that with the economy, unemployment and this awful President running this country into the ground, you would have other things on your mind.

March 17, 2010 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  15. brigod

I think the problem is the man picked the wrong sport to excel at.
    In most other sports a man of his talent would have drawn the publicty, but the supporters, of say football or rugby, would be far more forgiving, and thats not being derogative about those two sports. Golfers can partisipate in the game as long they can make they way round the course. It tends to draw a more conservative support, and much is made of the honesty expected from its members. So it is understandable that they see his indiscrections as not only a slur on their sport, but almost, a poor reflection on themselves.

March 17, 2010 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |