March 16th, 2010

Lesbian parents of expelled kids defend their Catholic faith

A lesbian couple whose children were expelled from a Catholic school in Boulder, Colorado, expressed their dismay Monday, but held steadfast to their faith.

In a written statement, the women, who chose not to reveal their identities, described themselves as normal, hard-working people with a nice house and a dog - and as Catholics.

"When we were allowed to have our children baptized ... we made a promise
to raise our children in the Catholic faith," they said. "We now feel like our attempts at fulfilling this promise are being undermined by the Church itself.

"Perhaps our biggest objection to the school's decision is that we think that it is wrong to punish a child for who the child's parents are. We do not think that this reflects what Jesus would have done."

The Archdiocese of Denver, Colorado, recently defended its decision not to re-enroll the couple's two children in the Sacred Heart of Jesus School next year because their parents are lesbians.

"The Church does not claim that people with a homosexual orientation are 'bad,' or that their children are less loved by God," Archbishop Charles J. Chaput wrote in an article published in the Denver Catholic Register.

"Quite the opposite. But what the Church does teach is that sexual intimacy by anyone outside marriage is wrong; that marriage is a sacramental covenant; and that marriage can only occur between a man and a woman. These beliefs are central to a Catholic understanding of human nature, family and happiness, and the organization of society. The Church cannot change these teachings because, in the faith of Catholics, they are the teachings of Jesus Christ."

Post by:
Filed under: Education • Gay and lesbian • U.S.
  1. AZTeacher

The Archbishop's statements in the final paragraph of this article are very clever. However, he fails to acknowledge the dilemma of weeding out the children of all the other so-called sinners in his school. The staff would need to investigate the sanctity of each marriage: divorces past or present, infidelity, intimacy before marriage, children out of wedlock, and so forth. Clearly, they wouldn't have a school at all if his claims that children of sinners are unwelcome there.

This is just one more instance of bigotry-disguised-as-faith by one of the many "christ"ians who have taken it upon themselves to play God. This behavior is not Christ-like and it is not within the teachings of the bible. Good luck to the mentioned women and their children. There are many lovely churches out there that are welcoming to all God's children. You'll find the right fit.

March 16, 2010 at 3:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. Cliff Sees

So the Church still takes into account the sins of the fathers - or mothers, in this case. Yet a priest accused of sexual impropriety is allowed to stay in the pulpit. Which is a greater offense, the bigger threat?
    I firmly believe that a religious organization should stand on its beliefs, and no one should expect the Catholic church to suddenly change one of its core tenets.
    Yet someone shouldn't flaunt the rules of an organization and not expect repercussions.
    If the two women are searching for a church home that will accept and welcome them, go the nearest Unitarian Universalist church. Our minds have been open for hundreds of years.

March 16, 2010 at 3:47 am | Report abuse |
  3. Abel

As a child my parents sent me to Catholic school all the way up to high school. Throughout those years in the Catholic school system, from my experience I was taught to be open minded and respectful to other people's faiths and personal beliefs.
    So when I read this article I just hope those parents sue the school. Even if the school administrators do not agree with the parent's life style it shouldn't matter. The parents are paying for a service that the school is provides and they shouldn't discriminate. The clergy running Catholic have enough problems as it is and I think a Lesbian couple sending their kids to a Catholic school should be in the least of their worries.
    I hope this couple remembers that people like them who hold the faith are the church.

March 16, 2010 at 3:56 am | Report abuse |
  4. Paul

I wonder if people a hundred years from now are going to look back on stuff like this in the same way that we look back on the Jim Crow laws.

March 16, 2010 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. shelly

I understand their views, I too, have a son with my partner. We were both raised catholic and intend to raise our son that way, While I understand the church has a lot of growing to do. It is still the faith we belive in and follow. Our church is very excepting of us and has welcomed us and our son. He will be attending catholic school and we are very open with our family. It is sad that it differs so much from place to place

March 16, 2010 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |
  6. Josh

The last paragraph is understandable (albeit still stupid – yes the may be in the wrong, but that means rejection? That doesn't sound like Jesus in any serious context imo – from a church perspective it sounds like turning away those who need the teachings most – not that I agree with them that the couple is morally wrong.)

More to the point expelling the kids for the wrongs of the parents is just plain moronic, and frankly makes the school which is a representation of the church appear to be a group of ignorant fools. Shall I judge you by the actions of your parents, your cousins, or your brothers?

March 16, 2010 at 4:10 am | Report abuse |
  7. Gregory Afadapa

People often come to God to negotiate. What does the scripture say about gays/lesbian? Why dont the lesbians & gays have their own church, where they can negotiate their views on the scriptures with God?

March 16, 2010 at 4:18 am | Report abuse |
  8. babas

I'm with the church on this one

March 16, 2010 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
  9. Maire

I wonder why they decided to make an example of these women. Yes they are disobeying the church but plenty of people do that. I went to Catholic school K-12 and I had a classmate with "two dads." I suppose they just decided to look the other way?

March 16, 2010 at 4:21 am | Report abuse |
  10. Manhnadler

Is that where Cathlic Priests got the idea that it's Ok to abuse and molest little boys? From catholic teachings? Hopefully, the Catholic church and all it's nastiness and intolerance is on it's way out. We'll all be a lot better off

March 16, 2010 at 4:23 am | Report abuse |
  11. Rebel

It's wrong to be homosexual but it is okay for a grown adult to cheat on spouse or grown adult to improperly touch a child sexually? What is wrong with this picture here??

March 16, 2010 at 4:25 am | Report abuse |
  12. EDWARD FAAKYE

i must say lesbianism is a sin in the bible and find it very unpleasant for it be be allowed in our present time so anything involving issues of this kind should be seriously looked into and all responsible dealt with accordingly.

March 16, 2010 at 4:26 am | Report abuse |
  13. Lika

I have infinate respect and admiration as a Christian for the Catholic faith. I am LDS, and appreciate other faiths that try, even amidst lack of popularity, to remain true to Jesus' gospel. I am very happy to hear the representative's words of love and guidance.

March 16, 2010 at 4:26 am | Report abuse |
  14. Thomas

Sickening. Is this what Jesus meant when he said, "Suffer the children..."? Such a corrupt institution that's more than eager to cover up child sex abuse and relocate offending priests to different parishes so they can continue their despicable behavior; now also willing to find in its twisted sense of compassion the moral fortitude to punish children for the lifestyles of their parents of which they have no control over. Apparently, the Catholic church has a rather sadistic attitude and practice towards the youth

March 16, 2010 at 4:31 am | Report abuse |
  15. Lika

I also truly feel for the couple. I am not lesbian, and have not walked a mile in a womans shoes who feels this way. I wish there were an easy solution. I dont know why some people are born or turn (I believe that both happen, but am no expert) this way, but I know it is very difficult for them at times. I also know that the word of God cannot change. I trust that Heavenly Father will judge us all with compassion, having known the intentions of our hearts at all times. May the couple be guided and comforted and the children of course, as well.

March 16, 2010 at 4:31 am | Report abuse |