March 18th, 2010

Breaking down the cost of health care

[Updated 2:24 p.m.] We now have the text of the reconciliation act for the Senate health care reform bill. You can now view it here (PDF).

You can also now read the section-by-section analysis of the health care proposal prepared by the Committees on Ways & Means, Energy & Commerce, and Education & Labor (PDF).

[Updated at 12:51 p.m.] Republicans are criticizing what they characterize as the Democrats "leaking" of the "unsubstantiated" preliminary Congressional Budget Office's estimate of the health care reform bill. If you want to go through the CBO numbers yourself, you can find them here (PDF).

"My Democratic colleagues never let the facts get in the way of a good story," Sen. John Cornyn of Texas, a member of the Senate Finance Committee said. "Despite claims to the contrary, there is no CBO score. What there is a preliminary review, and what it reveals is nothing more than a guess. It is a desperate attempt by Democrats to resuscitate a health care bill that was pronounced dead by the American people months ago.”

[Posted at 11:51 a.m.] CNN has a breakdown of the Congressional Budget Office's preliminary cost estimate for the health care reform bill that Democrats are trying to bring to a vote this weekend.

We're going through the numbers now to determine the cost of health care reform and the effect it will have on the deficit. Stay tuned.

1. Al in Chesapeake, VA

Health Care needs to be reformed but not like this bill will do. Also why doesn't
    Congress and the White House sign up for the same Health Care that us U.S. citizens
    are stuck with.... Must go along with the old saying "Do as I say and not as I do"....

March 18, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Erik

For those of you that want this bill to pass and for our government to step into the Health Care arena. Think about this first. Have you ever dealt with a Federal Government agency? IRS, VA, USPS? How do you feel when dealing with them? How well are they "run" ?
    If you thought you had a hard time dealing with insurance companies now, they don't hold a candle with how the Federal government will screw it up.

March 18, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Brian

Hey Jason, lose a relative to a terroist organization as I did in 911, Then come back with your criticism of bombing another country. Where were you and your loved ones at during 9/11? These are two entirely different issues with NOTHING in comparison.

March 18, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Eric

You guys/ladies want to know what it will be like to have this healthcare bill pass? Move to Massachusetts. The state requires people to have insurance, so we have 95% plus of the people with insurance. I work for a large company and have a great insurance plan. But no one tells you the delays in the system. So allow me...

I had a cavity on a wisdom tooth. The dentist suggests that I have the tooth removed. I figure it's probably the right move to have it extracted, so I look for referrals. One surgeon came highly recommended, so I decided to go with him. I called up asking for a consultation, they said no problem. Then proceeded to schedule me out for 3+ months. I asked if they had anything sooner; but they were booked solid. So I waited the 3 months, got my consultation and decided to stick with the guy, as he suggested only taking out 2 teeth. They then scheduled me nearly a month later. Once I finally got my wisdom teeth removed, I paid my $250 and went on my merry way. Now I thought it was all good, but then I see what they charged my insurance company. They were billed $1500 on top of my $250. That is a whopping $1750 to remove TWO TEETH.

So what do we learn from this. Massachusetts healthcare not only has one of the longest wait times, but also has one of the highest costs to insurance companies. I hope America is ready for this if the sensible people in Congress can't stop this bill.

March 18, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. John

I am a white active duty O-4 in the military. I have the best healthcare in the world, a guaranteed paycheck, and in 10 years at age 41 a pension for life. I am incredibly fortunate. I don't have kids nor plan on having any...I don't have a dog in this fight. I am incredibly fortunate. However, I have noticed that I see alot of white faces against this healthcare bill...not to many other colors. Seems to me there are alot of angry middle class white people who are frustrated. Frustrated that their house is worthless, college cost more, their jobs are threatened and the health insurance they fought for may become a right to other "less worthy" people at their expense.

March 18, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Nahom

Why don't people scream and object when US is spending million and million of dollars in other countries. Why? If spending is the issue then how come you did not care about it before? If government program is the issue, what about Medicare then? How come you dont fight to kill Medicare? If you care about you children so much and about there future, who do you think has been and is fighting the your war for you in Iraq? If you think congress is so out of touch and don't care about it citizens, why do you keep electing them over and over and over and over . . . . Could it be we just don't know whats good for us?

March 18, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. notoj

Funny the Repugnant posible presidental candidate Pallin said she'd have more respect for Obama if he attacked Iran. The Repugnants are up in arms about giving affordable health care to people but they stand behind the Party of Bush who sunk the country and want another war this time with Iran. Who is going to pay for it. I would rather taxpayers dollars go to the American people and not the wealthy arms manufacturers. Bush's 700 billion TARP not a peep from the Repnants. 2 wars triilions based on false facts not a peep. Glenn Beck states that 700 Billion is not enough not a peep. Now the Repugnants are out of office and their plan continued is a bad plan. You folks are as phoney as a 3 dollar bill.

March 18, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. John DeWorken

What is most disturbing to me is the way the Republicans are displaying their distaste and surprise at how the Democrats are getting this bill passed. Let us not forget that the backroom deals and pork are the way that both parties operate. The American people are not upset at the Democrats specifically, but at the obvious display of politics as usual. Give us a break Republicans...your party is just as guilty of backroom dealing and spending money we don't have. The American people are not stupid. We do however need to stop voting along party lines and do what is best for the country.

What the country needs is term limits in the House and Senate. Our public servants...and that is what they are servants of he people..have made politics on a national level a career..not a contract of limited service.

The politcians in both parties need to get off their high horses and serve the people or get out.

March 18, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Debbie

I've read as much as I can find about the health care reform proposal, the pros and the cons. I've watched both Fox and MSNBC, as well as CNN coverage on this issue. For months I've followed the coverage of the Senate and House on C Span and today I read the CBO report.

I am disgusted with the Republicans. I am sickened by Fox News, Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh. Their behavior has been shameful. They do not speak for me. Those they seem to speak for – I can't identify with.

I'm so proud of our President and of the Democrats in Congress. This will truly be another historic milestone for our country. A public option will be another milestone I will look forward to. Thank You President Obama for your bravery and leadership!

March 18, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. REGIS

40,000 Americans are dying every year because of lack of health care coverage, is it NOT enough for the republikans ???? Or may be we need 13 times more 9/11 for their insensitive hearts and pockets to start to WORK for the Americans people. Have a good day at church this Sunday.

March 18, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bob

The most scary parts of the so-called health care bill is not the dollar amount, it is the ethical and moral degradation that is found in all the riders and clauses relating to abortion, euthenasia, etc. etc., and the fact that the bill sponsors are trying to ram it down our throats. It doesn't do much good to criticize a congress who long since has not been listening to the mainstream of America. A capitalistic society without restraints on greed and corruption is bound for failure. This comes close to what one of our founding fathers observed.

March 18, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  12. T Hunter

I do not want a healthcare bill to pass that allows for any funding of abortion in any way.
    Further I do not want a healthcare bill of this size to pass when it is not really even being voted upon. How can we change the face of our nation with a bill that has not even gone through a real vote?
    The fact that even with a super majority, this bill can not be passed in the normal fashion is enough evidence that it needs to be re-done. Start over and take each piece one at a time.

March 19, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |