March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. Jim

To bad your not going to Fox. Where the real news is,,not some fluff that ABC does. CBS would also be good, Get rid of Katie. She has as much personality as a chair.

March 18, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Both of us in Sc

We sure shall miss her on CNN.... I always loved her coverage of the news.

March 18, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dola

Great Lady,attractive,intelligent and unbiased. Always digging for the truth pushing the politicians and so called religious leaders.

I will miss her and the good work,replacement maybe Becky Anderson,quick, laid back but a very professional lady.

A NEW ERA.

March 18, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. seward riley

Yes, I remember Christiane weeping when Arafat died. Too bad she never expressed much emotion concerning the victims of terror. I suppose on ABC she'll have a bigger platform to promote her ant-Israel views. That seems to be the PC thing to do lately.

March 18, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bill

She is a lightweight, from the Katie Couric mold–with a bad accent.

March 18, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ted Barker

I will certainly miss the brave, magnificant reportage and style she has lent to CNN.

Thank you CNN for the graceful exit commentary. I will now have to share my news viewing with ABC and CNN.

Kudos to both organizations from a long time fan of TV News.

Git er done, Christiane!

March 18, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ken Shaw

I will truly miss your coverage of so many hotspots. I worried so much that you would be killed or injured on some of your assignments, that like a surrogate parent, I am happy this new assignment will be a good bit safer than some of the past. Thanks and good luck at ABC.

March 18, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jeff Lamm

lara is right on with the above comment #13...no need to add to that one. Christiane is one of the best in her field, if not the best right now. Good luck to her! She needs to help the press get back to serious journalism....not the crap sensationalism that's taken over 24-hour news channels. Enough of Kate and Jon, enough of the celeb junk. Keep to the issues like Christiane has for so many years. Well done.

March 18, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. trudy in toronto

What a great loss for CNN. Am very pleased we will still be able to see her and
    learn from her experience, judgement and global read on what is happening in the world.
    A perfect addition to Sunday morning network programming now that George has
    moved on.

March 18, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. TomM

When I first read this I had a tear form in my eye. Then I realized I had a tear because I was in the middle of cleaning my toenails and that was making my eyes water. Kristi who is leaving what for where???

March 18, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. TamarS

she is fabulous. she has courage (remember when Bill Clinton got mad at her???). she's the most professional journalist i've ever seen. good for her! now I might watch abc....

March 18, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ED

I expected a igration from CNN. They have become a pundit network. Wolf couldn't carry a 15 min. show without. When you make Ric Sanchez"the creatror of facebook,twitter, blogs & any other net media a star" CNN has forgot about how they began, LIVE NEWS FROM AROUND THE WORLD. It seems like the anchors have taken over. The ratings speak for themselves.

March 18, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Bob P

Congratulations, Christiane. From what I have read, Anderson Cooper won't be much longer at CNN either. Why can't CNN keep it's journalists?

March 18, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. daniel

If she really wanted the best network, she should have gone to FoxNews

March 18, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Evelyn in AL

What a loss for CNN! Good luck, Christiane, at ABC. I'll be looking forward to watching one of the very best international correspondents we have today. I have been keeping up w/your career for years and have always appreciated your work and your willingness to go into dangerous situations to bring us the news. Thank you.

March 18, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |