March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. prince id okojie

she is wonderful,i will really miss her in cnn.however,she is somebody that knows what she want.go chisty i wish you all the best.

March 18, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Beachline

Best wishes to a truly professional journalist who reported FACTS instead of putting a spin on things.

March 18, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Wm Scot Ellis Tacoma Washington

This lady is in a class all to herself ! The job she has done bringing the world to our home has been incredible. While I feel that her position will not be appricated with a network news operation like ABC with the decrese in viewers, I know she will alway be on top of her game. Best of luck with her new position and a big loss to CNN. I would hope that CNN will see what they are losing.

March 18, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mike

Wow, I'm surprised to see such an outpouring of support. I've never thought she was bad, but I've never really been a fan, either. I'm content to see her go to ABC, I don't watch it that much.

March 18, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Charlie

I wish Ms. Amanpour the best of luck.
    She can walk with the best of them.

Zenab Adawi – Front and center ! It's your turn to carry the load.

March 18, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Charlie

Oops – Ms. Adawi is with BBC.

March 18, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jan

She is an outstanding journalist.

She will be missed by a fan who never missed her on CNN.

Good Luck in your new endeavours

March 18, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Taiwo Akande

I need to inquire from her how she could achieve that departure.However,you can only take her out of CNN centers but you can not take away the CNN centered in her.goodluck.She is the only woman i dream tomeet in life

March 18, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. peter gomez

I find her grossly overrated. I have no strong feelings for her going/staying. At least there's a chance for someone more competent at CNN to take her spot.

March 18, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Emad Oweineh

oh my god,she is the queen of world network.i loved waching her in evry program
    she is the one that i like(to have her picture signed)so ican have it in my office.iwish her the best of luck .

March 18, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Karl in SLC

Great news. I'm not sure why any real journalist would want to stay at CNN especially since they are headed the Fox 'Lite' route.

March 18, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dave in Virginia

Christiane is a world-class journalist and one of the few unbiased out there. It's truly unfortunate that she would choose such a second-class outfit like ABC. I have zero respect for network news – especially ABC. Good luck to you, Christiane, its been a pleasure watching you! When you come to your senses and leave ABC, I will once again tune in.

March 18, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Victoria, Santa Fe

Congratulations, Christiane Amananpour.
    You continued to be such a positive role
    model of excellence for young women,
    globally. I will follow you on ABC news,
    and wish you continued success!

March 18, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Miguel

Very sad news indeed. Amanpour, after Larry King, is synonimous with CNN International all over the world.

March 18, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Annette S. Wade

CNN's loss is ABC News gain. Christiane Amanpour is the epitome of what a great Journalist should be and so few measure up to her standards these days. She is wise, unbiased, of superior intelligenc, poised and a real "trusth seeker". I hope ABC realizes what a treasure they have landed. She is so head and shoulders above any of the other TV Journalists. She and Fareed Zakaria are my two favorites on CNN and she will be sorely missed but I look forward to watching her on ABC.

March 18, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |