March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. Sentient Human-Canada

Christine Amanpour is the Top of the List for Credible Journalists. She has braved things that others would not even dare to face. My only regret is she went with ABC rather than NBC, but both are credible networks.

I may start watching American news again.

March 18, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Isaac Mate

Oh No! I will miss your excellent and candid reporting Christiane, but I am happy for you. Your passionate reporting cannot be replaced. I wish you the very best at ABC!

March 18, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. K.C. Mathew

You are the most unbiased, courageous and most respected reporter. I will miss you on CNN but will follow you on ABC. I hope and pray that this will be a successful move for you and wish you all the best in your new role.
    K.C. Mathew

March 18, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. george w.

Well, I think she is an overrated anti-American; anti-Christian, over-hyped, wench. I will not miss her and this gives me another reason not to watch the Average Broadasting Corporation.

March 18, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Hank Pihl

Christiane Amanpour is one of the best in the business.
    She is unbiassed and tell it like it is.
    She played second fiddle to Anderson Cooper on CNN a couple of times.
    Christiane Amanpour should be always the leader when it comes to news making.
    CNN has been losing many good people lately,Anderson Cooper is next.

March 18, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sentient Human-Canada

Christiane...Sorry. for not spelling your name correctly It is still a tad chilly up here and the old fingers missed a few keystrokes-LOL

March 18, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kaycee

Christiane no doubt is arguably the finest journalist of our generation. She and Wolf Blitzer are CNN's best. She reports with class, unparalleled objectivity and with a personal touch to every story. She is the kind of journalist that any news network should be prepared to pay more to keep so as to ward off any other news network offer. I also think that Christiane should have been provided with a choiced offer she could not have resisted. Christiane will carry with her a lot of CNN loyalists. Her investigative journalism, war and religious crisis reporting, politics and human disasters coverage are indeed in a class of their own. Above all, she is a delight to watch and to see her personal touch to an otherwise difficult situation reporting. She is the kind of journalist that any world leader or any bad guy would trust and grant interviews.

Good luck to her. She will be priceless at ABC.

March 18, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jens

Christiane Amanpour is the lighthouse of today's global journalism. It will be sad for all of us who watch CNN but dont have access to that other tv channel.

March 18, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Gerald

Sad to see you go, but happy because it is not FOX! You have too much culture for that Christiane, and you really do unbiased reporting, so it would not go with your personality 🙂

March 18, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. BarbaraSamburu

Welcome, welcome, welcome. Am going to love watching the news, good or bad. This woman has a presentation that is way off the charts. ABC, you did good. I am missing
    George Stephanopoulos, a very classy act.

March 18, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. pierce

Now she will be whining and editorializing what brutes we in the West are.

Maybe a network in her native iran or England would suit her best. She clear hates the U.S.

March 18, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Steve

My disappointment is not that she is leaving CNN, because we always knew this day would come. I am sad that she is not leaving for 60 Minutes at CBS instead. This woman has the brains, the cred and the chops to be top echelon. I'm sad she is merely relegated to ABC's "This Week." I hope she will transcend that role, and achieve what she is capable of. She could easily be anchor/editor-in-chief of any of the 4 major networks' news division, or better yet, replace any of the aging stellar crew over at 60 Minutes. Best of luck, Christiane. As Carly Simon sang, "Nobody does it better."

March 18, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jeff Kelly

Form one liberal bias to another.....no loss!

March 18, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Doulgas

I am truly happy for her. I can remember vividly the day a rocket was launched a few meters from where she was reporting during the first gulf war. She stated, "there is another launch!". I was pretty young but ever since I have followed her couragious,quality,non-bias accurate reporting.
    Glad to see a different kind of "launch" in her life.
    Thanks for your honesty and professionalism

March 18, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |