March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. Ray

Christiane's quality and polish will be a great addition to ABC New's professional staff. CNN's decision to move to a quasi-tabloid venue will undoubtably cause others to exit. As a viewer I will move to ABC with Chistiane.

March 18, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jackson G.

Wow, I will miss her. However, its good that she is moving to a credible organization such as ABC, and not dropping from the real news industry (it would be criminal if she went to work at that 3-ring circus called Faux News).

March 18, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jacqueline rice

CNN's loss big gain for ABC. I am a big fan of Ms Amanpour, I wish her all the best, I will be watching her on ABC.

Who ever replaces her at CNN will have big shoes to fill.

March 18, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. John

Not only is she intelligent, insightful, an outstanding reporter and respected by so many of us...she is also beautiful and a delight to the ears and eyes. I am going to miss her on CNN but I think I will also follow ABC news a bit now too. I enjoyed seeing her reports but I must also admit that it was she who taught us how to properly pronounce IRAQ.

Good luck to you, Christiane. I wish you the very best.

One of your many fans....

March 18, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Carlos

First Aaron, then Paula, now Christiane ... what's the matter with CNN? Are you guys crazy!?

March 18, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Julie

Too bad she's not taking Diane Sawyer's place!

March 18, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jane

For those of us who live overseas and do not have access to US channels on our cable companies, this is a loss that will be difficult to replace. I wish Ms. Amanpour the very best. Her shoes will be most difficult to fill.

March 18, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. john in Florida

We people who live for the very best in news reporting are at a total loss,Christiane can not be replaced.

March 18, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Montreal John

GREAT FOR YOU!!!!!

March 18, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mario

A class act, ultra professional and supurb addition to/for ABC. Few journalists could even come close to equalilzing her talents for researching and delivering the news, ugly as it is at times, without sugarcoating. The news media legacy of the Morrows, Huntleys, Brinkleys and Cronkites is still in great hands.

March 18, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ann Clare Smith

Another piece of really good news! I will switch along with her and wish her the best, No one comes near to her quality and keen intelligence. Sorry European fans will be deprived of her vision. Accolades above are right on, no praise too high for this remarkable talent or this remarkable woman! Blessings!

March 18, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Alex

I guess I am too selfish to support this. I watch her every Sunday, and she is one of the few unbiased journalists that goes deep into the issues. And now I must go see her on ABC...I wish her all the best and I hope she doesn't change.

March 18, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. NancyLV

Personally I am glad to see her leave CNN they are too biased and she is too good for them. I always liked her documentaries and her reporting the first Iraq war. She is truly a really good reporter. Good Luck.

March 18, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Deji Badmus

For me she is a great mentor and one of the courageous journalists on earth I admire the most.Her reporting style is unique and peculiar her alone.Her interviews are something else. Quite a shame she is leaving CNN, a channel I love so very much that my day is hardly ever complete without tuning to CNN. Life must go on. I wish her all the best in this new experience she is about taking up. I have no doubt she will excel. Bye Christiane

March 18, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mike

really cannot imagine CNN without her .

big loss for CNN, maybe an end of an era...

March 18, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |