March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. enyioma orji

oh christiane,why would you leave at a point you have become a household name for so many of us. you showed me what courage a woman can have by always being in the thick of every bitter war, crisis situation on the face of the earth. reporting the raw and unseen part of every thing happening there. i am a regular of your exciting new programe 'amanpour'. your recent interview of ehud barak was a hell of a masterpiece. i think you should have considered those of us your fans in nigeria who do not get to watch abc news, as it does not have that truly international coverage given by only cnn. i will miss you greatly.

March 18, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Reza

My best wishes to the best reporter of our time, i will watch your program on ABC with joy.
    Thank You for all you have done so far.

March 18, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Macaulay

I admire your brilliance and courage Christiane and will surely miss you.
    Goodluck and remain yourself.

March 18, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rob

This is a big loss to CNN. She was one of the people that always brought an interesting perspective to every story or special she did. I found myself watching specials on topics maybe I wasnt all that interested in at first simply because I knew she would cover the topic in a way that would interest me which opened my eyes to many issues I might not have learned about.

March 18, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  5. A. Schwarzenegger

Christiane is without a doubt one of the best journalists today.

March 18, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Liisa

As an American Ex-Pat in the UK, my only opportunity to see Ms. Amanpour is on CNN Int'l. I have watched her for years. I appreciate her knowledge, passion and understanding of all her reporting over the years. Her unbiased reporting has always been a breath of fresh air. I am sorry I will not be able to see her on ABC in the UK. I will miss her in times of crisis, when I always knew I could count on her reports. I wish her the best of luck. She is a true journalist, which is rare these days.

March 18, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kristin Rogers

Best wishes, you are the best of the best!

March 18, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Tim at Indexserv

Huge gain for ABC, huge loss for CNN. Thanks for so many years of great reporting. You are a truly remarkable journalist.

March 18, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jake

I'm greatly honored to have grown up watching your reports from diffrent locations around the world. Thank you and good luck at your new home.

March 18, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lyn Allard

I started watching CNN on September 11th and have done so since. Ms Amampour is a very dedicated and professional journalist. With the many awards that she has received, replacing David Brinkley is the icing on the cake. I will also miss her comments, her stories and the specials that she did after 9/11. She also took to places that no women have been before her. She has ways of communicating with people that no one has ever done before.
    Congratulation Christiane and Bonne Chance!

March 18, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Fred

She was too biased in her reporting.

March 18, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. mariel de la rosa

Oh!!! Nooooo!!!!! I planned my schedule based on HER program!!!!!! but if she is happy I am happy she deserves the best!!!! 😀

March 18, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jonathan daniels

Ms Amanpour is a sharp and intelligent correspondent. Little do people know that she always reported on subjects that she is well acquainted and she revealed to us cultures we are not familiar. The Iranian crisis for example, must have been an easy assignment for her. She gave us a clear picture what the regime is all about without being openly critical. All her assignments were similar: Exposing the problems without offending anyone.

Good luck Christiane.

jd

March 18, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ron in copenhagen

She has been the most influential correspondent I have ever seen - add, sadly, since I live in Denmark, will not see here unless I see her on-line . Best of luck to her in any case

March 18, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sonny Dove

I'm stunned yet very happy for the one of the true remaining reporters in the business. I have nothing but great respect for Christiane. She is the reason I was drawn to CNN. I will follow her to ABC.

March 18, 2010 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |