March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. terry

sorry to see Christiane leave, she is a fantastic reporter and a very intelligent woman, although i am not surprised. CNN used to be THE place for ongoing news and smart, intelligent discussion on a variety of topics, but of late they have become a reality based news center, with every Tom, Dick and Harry who trys to get into the news appearing on Larry King. Aaron Brown, who was a superior reporter was pushed aside for "esthetically appealing Anderson Cooper" and the highlight of the newsday is watching Rick Sanchez read off Twitter reports.....sorry CNN, you've dropped the ball too many times in the past and i'm afraid Christiane is just another example of an excellent reporter who obviously has had enough.

March 18, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. 4peace

Notice how the negative comments are coming from jew haters.Whatever you stated about her shows envy,because she's such an excellent reporter.GOOD LUCK TO YOU CHRISTIANE!!

March 18, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kristin

I'm deeply saddened by this news. It's been a great ride Christiane, and your reporting has brought a very pointed view of this world, and one that owes you a big hug for you work. I will miss you here on CNN The World Leader in News. Greatest of luck and thanks again for braving this crazy world to tell of it's ills and it's woes. Lots of thanks Kristin. ;(

March 18, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. NVG in Florida

When I think of CNN, I think of Christiane. You are truly one of the greatest and I wish you all the best at ABC News.

March 18, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. rita and mr b

Christiane Amanpour is a true professional and I shall miss her since CNN is my favorite news source. I wish her the very best

This year CNN has lost Susan Lisovich and Heidi Collins and Kyra Phillips schedule was changed and isn't on air every week day. It looks like CNN is going Fox and will soon succeed if they lose any more.

March 18, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. FOA

Best of luck. You are the best!

March 18, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. leavelaw

It's so nice to see she has such a devoted following. You will be missed here. All the best to you.

March 18, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Willie12345

How sad that Christiane Amanpour is leaving to go to ABC. ABC is a just a little bit better than NBC, but they both are terrible. She should have gone to Fox. She seems like a very fair and balanced individual.

March 18, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dodo McKinnon

I agree with many of the former comments. I remember watching Edward R. Murrow as a child with my father in Glasgow, Scotland. I didn't understand most of what was being discussed, but as an adult, Christine Amanpour has brought back memories to me as to how journalisim should be reported, with style and finese, I will not miss you Christine, AS I WILL BE WATCHING YOU ON ABC. Don't worry CNN you are still my favourite American news program, however ABC will be on my T.V. when ever Ms Amanpour is aired.

March 18, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Alex in Harare

Watched every minute of the Trilogy "God's Warriors" that she did about the Middle East last year and my respect for her grew immensely. With no access to ABC, I will certainly miss her presence on CNN.

March 18, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Madeline

Christianne is the BEST of the BEST....intelligent, informed and integrity is expressed by her demeanor and speech.

Right up there with John Chancellor, Peter Jennings and Walter Cronkite.

ABC deserves kudos for having her sign up.....

March 18, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jim in Georgia

The bravest reporter in TV news is taking a safer job.
    We all will miss her, but who can blame her.
    Good Luck Girl.

March 18, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Stephen (Toronto)

Christiane is a journalist (like Farid) at the top of her game who can get an interview with just about anybody, because she is respected and trusted worldwide. Let's hope more like her come along, and get hired by US networks. The quality of American news would benefit from it, and American democracy requires it. Enough with the infotainment.

March 18, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |