March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. seyi

I wouldn't want you to go Amanpour, but you got to move on in life... you have done great jobs. Wish you all the best in your endeavors.Thank you for being who you are,

March 18, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joseph

Amanpour, Nigeria will miss you

March 18, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tom in Ocean City New Jersey

Huge loss to CNN. Big Gain to ABC. I thought Diane Sawyer was dong a great job and now this addition to ABC.

Huge fan of this reporter. What a pro.

March 18, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Greg

Wow, what a love fest on here!!! Come on, people, Christiane was a news reporter, with her good and bad points. From the majority of comments on here, you'd think she was some type of saint.

March 18, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. rudy

A mistake to take George out and worst in throning Anapour to this post. She is terrific but the post requires a brainer bacause it does not cater to the masses. Remember Conan taking Leno's place? It am afraid it will be worst. This hour has been the bread basket of intelectual pilitics. It is a loss for CNN and worst for ABC.

March 18, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Angel Castillo

I am an american, past 60, who has lived abroad most of his life, in Europe, Asia and Latin America. For 30 years CNN has been my link to what is occuring in the world for many, many years and Christiane Amanpour to me represented the best of CNN, she was synonymous with CNN. I am deeply sorry to see her go. I still live abroad and won't be able to follow her on ABC.

CNN has to do a lot of soul-searching if it is going to continuing being the respected news-network it still is but fast becoming just one more of the bunch. CNN has lost a great asset and I don't see who can replace her. CNN lost is also my lost.

Christiane your are in the same league as Edward R. Murrow, Walter Cronkite and David & Brinkley, I will sorely miss you. I will not wish you good-luck in your new endeavor because you don't need it, you will excel.

My wife and i will sorely miss you.

March 18, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Michael H

Congratulations Christiane – well done!

I have been wondering how long it would take you to transition from CNN with its plunge into the depths of celebrity coverage and opinion TV

I will now have an American channel that I can follow for REAL news!

Way to go – and all the best!

March 18, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Romy

Your reporting has enlightenend and empowered the world. Please conitnue to do so wherever you are.

March 18, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. steven thornton

I thought she was leaving to go to fox news.

March 18, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Roy

Sorry to crash the party but I got tired of every time CNN wanted to bash Israel they trotted her out.

March 18, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  11. 60driver

I met Ms. Amanpour as a Black Hawk pilot in Iraq in 2004. My crew and I were not happy being told to fly another prima donna reporter around; we were very happily disapointed. She was at all times warm, caring, respectful and extremely professional. In a time where most reporters we met with had a definite agenda she was a welcome diversion from an otherwise diffult deployment.

March 18, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jay Kar

with cnn turning day by day into conservative news network, there is going to be a lot of exits. sad to see christiane go.

March 18, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mia

I watch CNN because of Christiane Amanpour. She is an inspiration as a journalist, as a woman, as a global citizen. I have to think she is doing the right thing, but I'm not sure ABC, or any other commercial network deserves her. But PBS doesn't really have an appropirate forum for her. Not much reason to stay with CNN – the 24-hour format has driven them to create news rather than report it.

March 18, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jeff horn hawaii

Congrads thank God u did not goto.. Fox!

March 18, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ron NYC

As much as I admire and congratulate Ms. Amanpour on her choice, as a long-standing viewer of CNN I am disappointed for the network. Christiane is one of a handful of reporters left who display intelligence, worldliness and the requisite gravitas to not only tell the story, but also communicate its context. It is a huge loss for CNN.

On the other hand, an important show like "This Week" desperately needs an anchor who will not blindly accept its guests talking points and will strive to generate light rather than heat in getting understanding of the issues of the day. I look forward to watching.

March 18, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |