March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. anon

We and CNN are teh what our founding fathers had in mind with freedom of the press. She is a beacon of light in world of false reporting.
    She is what the future of news is and will be to survive. Investigative reporting. It is the only way to keep govts honest and the people safe.

March 18, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Patti

An excellent example of womanhood! Best of luck.

March 18, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bob Casey

Congrats,
    Wolf and Larry are all who are left.

March 18, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. AZLib

Going to miss her... I'll follow her to the next station. She has the gift. Funny how many headlliners are leaving CNN.... Noting they are more of the liberal types and seem to have opinion beyond who is advertising... Maybe that is why they are being pushed out..

March 18, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bhupen Bhakta

Congrats Christiane, See you on ABC, keep up the graet work.

March 18, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. John Power

Ms. Amanpour: You have reported with great competence,courage and integrity. I will
    miss you at CNN. Warm thanks and all good wishes.

John Power

March 18, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. timothy poleon

As a jaournalist myself,i too will surely miss her reporting.Good luck in your new job.

Timothy Poleon

March 18, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bonnie McDonald

Congrats on the new show! I will greatly miss you as I been a fan for 15 years. I will be checking out your new digs when you get there! Thanks for all the years!!

Sincerely,
    Bonnie

March 18, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. David E.

She is the best and there is not replacement for her.

March 18, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ijeoma Okoye

Christaine has always been my high point on CNN. i never used to watch anything on CNN besides the headlines, and then one day, i stumbled upon her documentary on the Afgan heroes. i started following her programs since then.
    You can always see the passion in her eyes as she shares her story. Best part of her interviews is that she actually listens to her guests and you can see that she really understands your view, whether or not she shares the same view. She doesnt mis- interprete information but tells it exactly as it is!
    I would really miss her. i look at her and i hope i can be like this one day.........not just disseminating information but inspiring and informing people postively.
    Wish her the very best in her new endeavours.
    You are a true definition of a Journalist!!

March 18, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Sara

Christiane Amanpour is top notch. The finest of her profession. Wishing her all the best in her new endeavour.

March 18, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. woodchoppa

She is the hottest woman on TV; I'd be happy watching her do anything.

March 18, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kathleen

Ms. Amanpour is the very definition of journalist in the best sense of that profession. I have always admired her integrity and intelligence. She can tell the story so that a non-expert understands it and the implications, without sensationalizing the events, pandering to a specific political caste, or patronizing her viewer. I hope ABC lets her be herself and does not commercialize or brand her. Congratulations!

March 18, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Valentine Duru

Christiane made cnn my every day watch. I will miss her

March 18, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Hadiara

Great News!! I can finally see Mrs Amanpour on ABC regulary now. I think I am the only one without CNN or those cable news.. Looking forward to a balanced and well thought out newscast 🙂 Congratulations Mrs. Amanpour!

March 18, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |