March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. Theresa Goubran-Keshta

I'm very sorry that Christiane will be leaving CNN ! I have always looked forward to watching her outstanding work on the Satellite News Channel here in Egypt!
    I really admire her as a person and wish her every success in her new job.
    It's a great loss for CNN !

March 18, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Dan

Christiane has no regrets to move to another network, CNN is to liberal for her and too many fabricated stories, just the Liberals to look good, very one side to the left this CNN, but "Fish start smelling from the head" always, the boss want to make millions from his love with socialist.
    Good luck to you Christiane , I will follow you at ABC..

March 18, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Carlos Niebla Becerra

What an incredible woman she is! I'm SO happy for her! our best wishes from Mexico Christiane!!! 🙂

March 18, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Byron Collins

I would be happy, if she could appear on the "Sixty Minutes" News Show also.
    Best regards to her and her new career at ABC News!

March 18, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mohamed

I have watched you since i started watching cnn. I have always trusted your reporting.Thanks for doing what you do the way you do. Keep it up. Good luck on your new endeavour. I will be seeing you on ABC.

March 18, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rosa Harris

I will follow you wherever you go. You are an amazing journalist!

March 18, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Peter

I always loved David Brinkley but was deeply disappointed with the selection of George Stephanopoulos as a successor host. The chemistry between him and the other panelists (George Will, Cokie Roberts and Sam Donaldson) never seemed to be there. Christiane will add tremendous experience and integrity as a journalist. I wish her well and look forward to tuning into the program.

March 18, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Matilde M. Gianferrara

Christiane Amampour is an unique intelligent courageous woman.

She was the only reason I was watching CNN. She was the only valuable contributor to educate and try to open the minds of the American people.

I'll follow her, as she is the only serius journalist we have in the USA.

Christiana please continue searching and presenting the truth.

March 18, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Donald in CA

Good luck Christiane, we will miss you.

March 18, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. manju jacob

I admired amanpours work all these years .. i am confident that she will be an asset to abc

March 18, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. takohunter

Best journalist out there. She covers the stuff everybody else is too afraid to try. She even got an interview with that bonehead Iranian president Mababboo Amhajerkingoff. Now I'll have to put the ABC News website on my favorites just to follow her stories.

March 18, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. mocyabe

time for Anderson to complete the power hold over there, until he goes Ashley Banfield and disappears. Then the cycle continues.

March 18, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. David G

Anazing that the list of stories in the piece above did not include the former Yugoslavia, particularly Sarajevo. A great journalist who has given up to become a talking head.

March 18, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Charles

Man, I'm really her. I wish you the best Christiane.

March 18, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Gorgegirl

Christiane has always been there for us, the American audience, telling us what is going on in the rest of the world. She was the best and I thank her for her stories and personal sacrifices she must have made to travel to those countries for our benefit. I hope to catch her on ABC. Thanks Christiane!

March 18, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |