March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. Charles

I'm really going to miss her.

March 18, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Renee

Congratulations on your move to ABC Christiane! You are simply the best and they are going to be very, very lucky to have you! I'll look forward to seeing some more great work out of you one click away on ABC!

March 18, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JC

I think you are making a mistake. Please reconsider before its to late. I will miss your weekend addition.

March 18, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Ted Spalding

Everybody seems sad to see C.A. leave. As someone who's enjoyed watching ABC's "This Week" for some time, I am delighted to see her arrive. She's going to do a great job on that show and her international perspective will bring a new dimension.

March 18, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Chris Langos

Another WOW! to add to the list. As a USA ex-pat watching CNN International for years, I always looked to Christiane for the fair shake when it came to international headlines. I hope "This Week" will provide her another 27 years or more of the succes she has had with CNN.

March 18, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Brian & Carol

Great reporter, Christiane always gave good honest reporting from around the world and was a pleasure to watch her broadcasts. We look forward to watching her new show at ABC once she hits the air.

March 18, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Shamim

Congratulations! There are few that I trust as much as you. Just don't lose your position on the cutting edge where you so often speak for the unnoticed and unforgotten. You've become the one who reminds us of our collective responsibilities as travellers on the same precious planet.

March 18, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Raymond

Good luck for her. It's a pity for Chinese audience. Since ABC is not on Sattelite channel above Asian Pacific, Internet will be the only way to access her programme.

March 18, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Robert

I've always greatly respected Christiane Amanpour. I'm sorry to see her leave CNN, but happy to see that she is with ABC. Congratulations!

March 18, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Yacine G

I am sadden by Christina leaving CNN for ABC ,she was an inspiration reporter to me, but i will not watch her on ABC , because CNN is my favorite Chanel for ever . We still have Anderson Cooper who is an excellent young international reporter, good luck to you on ABC.

March 18, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Derick

Noooo!!!! When I think of CNN, the first name that comes to my mind is Christina Amanpour; I have been watching her since I was 15yrs old very sad day. Good Luck Christina.

March 18, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bill E.

CNN is losing *their best*, *most authoritative* reporter. This woman is what every man and woman in the news business should aspire to. She embodies what the news business is *really* about – not the junk that passes for news on today.

Always enjoyed her thoughtful and well researched pieces. She was perfect for the 'long format' pieces that she had become a specialist at.

I can see why she would want to go anchor a show though – that many years on the road (to the kinds of places she was going to) must be *really tough*. Time to get off the road and have a life that doesn't involve living on a plane.

Great work Christiane! Best of luck in your new role!

Cheers,

– Bill

March 18, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ana Maria

I have followed Amanpour since she appeared at CNN. I trusted her reporting and believed all her stories. She educated me on so many world events in all these years.
    I will follow her to ABC and feel sad she and CNN are no longer synonimous.

March 18, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. red bautista

i admire her courage to do the reporting outside esp in the torn war countries . i deeply will miss her doing that but then i am very much happy for her will be new task in ABC. Congratulations to her..

March 18, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Roy Mabe Jr.

Christiane is one of the great news reporters ofour time, good l

March 18, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |