March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. Doug

I am sure she got tired of the endless liberal lies that spewed forth around her gutsy reporting.

March 18, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Pat

Congratulations, Christiane. I wish you the best. Your integrity and skills as a journalist and reporter will be missed. CNN is losing one of their best, as far as I am concerned.

March 18, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. MJL

Christiane Amanpour a classy lady and a fantastic journalist..Best of Luck.

March 18, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Nema

Yeah CNN has gone down and has tried to become a normal news network instead of one which analyzes issues in Depth. I can really see Amanpour eventually running a Jim Lehrer like program.

March 18, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Nema

Also one more thing with more tension brewing in Iran, who will you guys get who is actually a non partisan Iranian, but at the same time knows enough about the histroy and counter culture which exists in Iran.

March 18, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Southjerseycat

How sad.... ABC just fired half their News Staff. 20/20 just did an expose' on the Batchelor, behind the scenes. Maybe she can do a story behind the scenes on lost. What a terrible waste of talent. I will miss her on CNN.

March 18, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Caral from SoCal

Christine Amanpour is one of the few true journalists left. I just cannot for the life of me imagine why she would go to ABC. REally?

March 18, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Barbara

Christiane is by far the best journalist of our time. I'm unable to name anyone that even comes close to her. I have watched her brilliant reporting for many years and will sadly miss her on CNN. I will watch her on ABC's This Week, but sincerely hope ABC will allow her to continue as a foreign correspondent as well at least on some level. America needs the type of professional, honest, intelligent reporting that is the Amanpour signature

Thank you Christiane and the best of luck to you in your new assignment with ABC. This is truly ABC's gain and most terrible loss for CNN.

March 18, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Devashish Agarwal

I have watched and enjoyed all her programs. She was a strong and honest journalist. I watch CNN all the time and I hope they have a replacement for her. Good luck to Christine.

March 18, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lori

Congrats on your new job!! I have admired your work for the last 20 plus years. You really are one of a kind!!

March 18, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Sam from France

I consider her one of the top two journalists of this planet, the other one being from the NY times. I am French (nobody's perfect!) and live in Brasil, and only get CNN International. I won't be seeing her no more as I don't get ABC in Brasil. Christiane is a top gun of journalism. I can't believe CNN is letting her go. Please CNN, double her salary and open up any door she wishes, you are letting a best in class go. She is one in a million. PLEASE Christiane, stay with CNN or I won't see U anymore. This is a desperate vote of confidence. PLEASE CNN, do what it takes to keep her.

March 18, 2010 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. MICK Barakat

Wow, she is my fave she is amazing she tells it the way it is, that is the way I feel, am glad she made a choice to go to ABC and not Fox noise.

March 18, 2010 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Samuel Tekie

Congratulation. You will be missed from the face of CNN, the Big Mirror. YOU ARE QUEEN OF JOURNALISM.

March 18, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Luis Saenz

Great for ABC and of course bad for CNN. She has always done great work, and I have really enjoyed watching her and her style of reporting. Best Wishes on ABC, although I thought Christianne would have been the best replacement for the great Tim Russert on Meet the Press.

March 18, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Pat Henschel

If you searched the world over, you would never find a better reporter or journalist than Christiane. She truly is one of a kind. ABC has indeed found a rare gem. I wish Christiane much happiness there. CNN is losing a star.

Pat H.