March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. Emily

I so so sad when it was announced that first David Brinkley, and then George Stephanopoulos were vacating the spot at This Week....been watching that show since I was a child. I figured I would probably stop watching it. I was so delighted to read that Christiane Amanpour was taking over the spot! I honestly did not care for her new show on CNN (although I adore her reporting) and will anxiously await her arrival! Congratulations to ABC News, and condolences to CNN. Love both networks-

March 18, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. karen b

Congratulations Christine. You are a great reporter and I will miss you on my favorite CNN. I will tune in to watch you at your new digs.

March 18, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Prosanto

I like her work and attention to detail. I hope she follows hard nose questioning like late Tim Russert of meet the press, NBC

March 18, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. C.Carrier

Best of luck in your future endeavours! ABC is about to gain a lot of viewers because of this move!

March 18, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Katherine Riebe

Fantastic woman, reporter, humanitarian; and I wish her the best at ABC! I'm sure many will miss having her at CNN!

March 18, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Scott

Amanpour, thank you for all that you do. We'll follow you anywhere. Good job ABC, you can see the genius.

March 18, 2010 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ed Sandoval

Wow, that is a big blow, what I just learned. What can I say, about the talent of this beutiful and gorgeous person. Full of kindness, charm and knowledge. Moving to ABC, she'll give them a great boost. Just like D Brinkly, TIm Russert and alike did to their respetive show's over the years... Wish you all the best Christian!!!, I guess, I'll be following you as well!!!.

March 18, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Millie Ann Shunpike-Stewart

Congrats christiane– you DEFINE reputable/incredible journalism!!!

March 18, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Kathy

Christine Amanpour is THE BEST! Huge loss for CNN – Major gain for ABC. She is a true and honest journalist – a very rare species among today's "news" broadcasters and pundits. I wish her the best and will definitely be watching ABC.

March 18, 2010 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Abhay

Congratulations and best wishes Christiane Amanpour!!!

March 18, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Beantowner

I will follow you wherever you go Christiane you are truly one of the best. I will miss you on CNN that's for sure but at the same time I look forward to seeing you on ABC. Congratulations on your new position.

March 18, 2010 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bill Ulmer

I've never seen another journalist who could be so diplomatic while doggedly ferreting out the truth. She's also the best ever at clearly explaining the facts and their implications (with no discernable political agenda) to the public. She'll certainly be the A at ABC. Kudos to Christiane's great work and to CNN for valuing true journalism at its best.

March 18, 2010 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Osoiwu

"Reporting from Israel, this is Christiane Amanpour"; "Reporting from Lebanon, this is Christiane Amanpour"; "Reporting from Russia, this is Christiane Amanpour"; "Reporting from . . ." and the list goes on and on and on – I've been hearing this since I was in High School back home in Nigeria, and it was really a great pleasure to listen to her live in the USA, to 'see' this legendary Christiane Amanpour that has long become a household name. I believe she's a living legend in the media circle and deserves a lot better than what I perceive CNN has offerred her lately. Christiane, I'm wishing you well wherever you go, because where you go, that I'll be watching.

March 18, 2010 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Trooper

Too bad I can't see her anymore in the Philippines. I have been following her since the 1990's, particularly her war reporting in Bosnia, Africa, Afghanistan. The U.S. networks have been trying to pirate her for years. She might yet blossom to be another Barbra Walters.

March 18, 2010 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Karl

Christiane Amanpour, one of the bright spots at CNN.

CNN has done such a terrible job lately, sensationalizing non-news like the air traffic controller letting his son say a few lines to a few planes on the ground on bring-your-kid-to-work-day, that all of us in aviation think is just fine, and in fact appreciated, and some other stories where the interviewer was fishing for the answer she wanted instead of reporting objectively, that Christiane was one of the few voices of credibilty remaining.

Looks like we'll be watching a lot more ABC and a lot less CNN.

Like most commenters feel, a major loss for CNN.

March 19, 2010 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |