March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. TBURKE

I watched other reporters for facts. I watched Christiane for understanding.
    You will be missed.

March 19, 2010 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  2. Josh

Wow, ABC News is definitely at the TOP of their game. With the addition of Amanpour, I think they are the station to watch. Really loving the new GMA team and also having Diane Sawyer leading the evening news. I think they'll be giving NBC a run for their money.

March 19, 2010 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  3. Earl Clark

Ms. Amanpour is living proof that journalist can exist in todays enviroment of cable TV news. Her fan base will only grow and I, for one, will follow her efforts where ever they may lead. Wishing you the best.

Earl

March 19, 2010 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  4. Cher from CO

Ms. Amanpour was great when she was first starting but through the years, she has become biased. She injects her opinions, personal feelings, and is as prejudicial to her interviewees as the twits at Fox News. I sincerely hope that she does read these comments and takes into consideration that some ppl don't find her as objective as she would like to think. Ms. Amanpour, ABC News is giving you an opportunity to bring your experience to their network. Please take a look back at your younger years and realize that you were a true reporter back then–reporting just the facts, reporting what is happening around you at the moment–and that maybe you could use some of that 'magic' in your more.. mature.. years.

March 19, 2010 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  5. Gopalan Ramanujam

I have been watching CNN and Amanpour for so long and have great admiration for eagerness and passionate reporting from all corners of the globe! I will continue to watch her in ABC. She will be great asset to ABC as much as she was to CNN

March 19, 2010 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  6. Chris

In this day and age of sensational journalism, the most important quality about Christiane I can offer is this: When she spoke, I believed her. You see, when journalists speak on television these days, we the public collectively feel an uncomfortable sense of deception and bias. She was the last reporter on CNN that made me feel comfortable. She managed the seemingly impossible by focusing on delivering fact, and lettng the facts be compelling on their own. I can only guess that all the other "journalists" at CNN longed to be a Christiane Amanpour while they were freshman Journalism students.

March 19, 2010 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  7. Bruce

Christiane Amanpour – you will be missed. You are one of the few reporters who get the facts, real perspective and report them. CNN has slowly over the years has slid more to the populist sound bite style of reporting/entertaining. It has become as much a gossip channel and has dumbed the news down so a third grader can grasp it and be titillated by it. News takes more than a 10 word sound bite to communicate the depth of a subject. Christiane took all the words needed to give us the full picture.

I watch Fox for right wing conservative lies and entertainment. I watch MSNBC for the liberal version of the same. CNN used to be my place for clarity. Now where shall I go?

March 19, 2010 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  8. Larry Barnes

As a long time radio news guy, I recognize her for setting the standard all reporters aim for, and fail to acheive.

March 19, 2010 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  9. Kavita

Good bye Miss Amanpour. Your reporting was extremely biased toward Muslims! I never cared for your reporting. I won't miss you or your biased reporting at all.

March 19, 2010 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  10. Larry

I am sad you are leaving CNN but thank God you are not going that idiotic network (FOX). If you did I won't watch your program anymore. Good Luck with your job and will change channel to watch and listen to you.

March 19, 2010 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  11. Douglas Babb

CNN U had the best female FIRST CLASS international News reporter, Christiane Amanpour, a name that that should be on a bottle of a fine wine that sells for $1000+_Christiane Amanpour U R the Queen of International News_CNN U have lost your Queen_

March 19, 2010 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  12. Ryab

Why the mass exodus of reporters/anchors from cnn lately? Talent pool is wearing thin. Sadly my favorite news source is turning more tabloid like every day, and that is sad.

March 19, 2010 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
  13. Nash

Will miss you on CNN. But I am glad we will be able to still watch you on ABC. Its because of you that I believe that there is still hope for journalism. Thank you!!!!!!!

March 19, 2010 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  14. Patrick from Hong Kong

Dear Ms Amanpour,

I am deeply disappointed and I think it is a WRONG decision for you to quit CNN... I can't think you can find any better platform to cover international events in the U.S. other than CNN... You know how many international audience will miss your voice. You have been with this channel for 18 years and that is a LONG history. Oh, I used to think your interview programme, Amanpour., will last for years... But it will unexpectedly end up with a span of 6 months...

I simply have little idea why you narrow down your focus on the American politics only... (Though American politics is indeed very important but it doesn't mean everything) If you leave CNN simply for the Sunday political talk show on ABC, then I have to express my deep pessimism... First, American domestic politics is not your expertise. Second, I will stay on MEET THE PRESS as usual. This has already become a routine schedule for many since Tim Russert. (Though Gregory is not as good as Russert)

Anyway, wish you good luck.

Yours,

Patrick
    Hong Kong

P.S. What the hell CNN is doing!? KEEP ITS TALENT NOW!!

March 19, 2010 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  15. Laura

As a CNN news follower since the beginning with Dave & Lois and Christiane, I have sought the constant companionship in my travels on cable news in an otherwise lifeless hotel room. Some days I so repeatedly heard Headline News "from around the world" that I got jet-lagged! I will continue to follow CNN, but will be a Christiane fan on ABC as I have with Dave and Lois on NBC-KCRA. Top shelf journalists have a following regardless of where they are based. Christiane Amanpour is in a class all her own as an international journalist. Best wishes!

March 19, 2010 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |