March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. Jonas

"This is Christian Amanpor", you said the first time I watched you report from the war-torn former Yugoslavia. After having just heard your reporting, I knew this had to last for a while, for not only were you brave fresh voice and not bad to to look at, your determination and sheer intelligence was shining in a commanding yet classy fashion that was to be hold. Now, after having seen CNN's decline in the so called "TV Journalism" and sensational action NEWS, with a lot of action and NO meaningful NEWS, "First to the NEWS, it is only fitting you are moving on to where you might find your home worthy of your presence. We shall miss you, I say... but will certainly see you on ABC!

March 19, 2010 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  2. Kerubo

Really sad to see you leave! I have immense respect for Christiane. I always wanted to be as professional as she even if I am not a journalist. All the best. I have watched you on CNN ever since CNN started showing in Kenya. You are THE true inspiration of a professional woman. I wish you could come to Kenya and inspire the youth on how to let integrity and brain work for us rather than gender. I will still watch CNN, but aside from Fareed and Hala Gorani, you are the epitome of an unbiased and fact-based story. Good luck Christiane!

March 19, 2010 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jack

ABC the network that pays child murderers! They paid Casey Anthony 200,000 dollars. They are a sick news organization! I would stay away from them if I were her. I hope everyone boycotts that network!

March 19, 2010 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  4. Theo Okai

Dear Christian,

Why do you have to go???? I do not receive ABC News in Ghana where I am except via the net. I will miss you terribly; your enthusiastic and passionate reporting style has been a constant element I most enjoyed from your work over the years. Best regards and may you occasionally return to CNN with some features so we can also see you through the tube.
    Theo

March 19, 2010 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. Leslie

Cristiane is the LAST true journalist of CNN, the rest are tabloid reporters. Crisiane always give you two sides of the story, she report it as is; she leave it to her audience to decide which is which.

Cristiane I'd be following you in ABC; the only reason I stay with CNN because of you; now that you're no longer with the network, like an avid follower of a great journalist (you are Cristiane) I'm looking forward to watch you in ABC. God bless and take care of yourself. You're a TRUE JOURNALIST an honor to a career you've chosen.

March 19, 2010 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  6. Ed Rhymer

Always sad to see changes in customary reliances. Ted Turner created the best of news networks. When Peter Arnett, Bernard Shaw and Susan Rook left there was only Ms. Amanpour to carry the torch. No one could have accomplished that task better. It can safely be said that she provided solid reporting and singularly shouldered CNN during some tough times. Today she is in an exclusive club of reporters who do not have to be scripted and can be trusted and believed. Off hand I cannot think of any other members at present. Best wishes to her and her family. She will do remarkably well and remain the best.

March 19, 2010 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  7. freeman

CNN is my favorite cable channel and Christine Amanpour is my favorite journalist and anchor. My only consolation is that she is leaving for ABC and not for Fox News.

March 19, 2010 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  8. Rahul Mathur

Christine Amanpour is an inspiration to all journalist and we hope that she will continue to do her good work wherever she joins.

March 19, 2010 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  9. Nick

Oh how sad! As someone who lives outside the United States, I won't be able to see her on a regular basis. She is by one of a handful of highly respected journalists in history. I wish her the best of luck and know that she will be a wild success.

March 19, 2010 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  10. Lynn

She is an amazing journalist. Some of her segments touched me very deeply and I had gained valuable insights into other cultures. It's a big loss for CNN. I feel CNN should have done more for her. I will be one of those turning to ABC to see her. Not loyal to CNN or ABC. But loyal to the journalist who possess exceptional journalism.

March 19, 2010 at 2:38 am | Report abuse |
  11. Sushil Dhar

Wishing you all the best.. You will Rock ABC.

March 19, 2010 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  12. Sabrina

Congratulations!! Wonderful news...selfishly I'm a bit sad as I can not get ABC news here in The Netherlands, so I will miss her show on CNN. However, having lived in the US for many years, ABC is a great next step.

March 19, 2010 at 2:41 am | Report abuse |
  13. dacinto

Having watched Christiane for over a decade (both within and outside of USA) all I can say is, what heck of a journalist she is! She is professional and knows how to capture the audience with her sensational presentation of the news. I know folks at CNN know what a gem they have lost in Christiane. All the best! ABC, any plans to go international for the sake of Christiane's international audience?

March 19, 2010 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
  14. Fariba

Christiane exemplifies the potential of all Iranian-American women...As a fellow Iranian woman, I am especially proud of her. May she carry truth and light wherever she goes.

March 19, 2010 at 2:53 am | Report abuse |
  15. Pat

Not good! She is one of my favorites – as is CNN – at least she is not going to Fox! BUT, I don't watch the other networks in the same manner – on all day as sort of background, can't do that w/ other networks because they are not all news. I will miss her and I miss Erica Hill and the old Capitol Gang and other anchors.

March 19, 2010 at 3:07 am | Report abuse |