March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. ELGERBOER

Unfortunately, CNN and HLN has degenerated to a scandal mongering media outlet, from
    its many years of firts class performance.

Their decadency is somewhat parallel to TOYOTA's, meaning that sometimes 8-10 years ago, both began they journey downstairs, camouflaging it for a while behind massive
    propaganda machines, exploiting glories of the past.

Ms. Amampour was one from the "old Guard". who lent them still some credibility, as do
    David Gergen, Candy Crawley and a few other. If this shock will not wake the responsible,
    these will leave too, and CNN will ride, lead by Wolf Blitzer and his "Best Team", into the night of. oblivion.

March 19, 2010 at 3:23 am | Report abuse |
  2. Shri

It will be hard to see her leave CNN – she has been absolutely wonderful in covering some really compelling changes in the last 2-decades. Her programs were top notch and treaded the middle path. Wish her the best at ABC News.

March 19, 2010 at 3:26 am | Report abuse |
  3. Vardit Feldman

Maybe now, CNN has some hopes of becoming more credible and not so one-sided when it comes to Israel and the Palestinians. I remember when she had her special on Islam and Christianity but plum forgot to have a special on that other religion, what was that? Oh yeah, Judaism. Really this lady had no love for Israelis and it showed over and over again. No love lost for Ms. Amanpour from me.

March 19, 2010 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
  4. ReyF

Christiane, you are simply one of the best reporters of this century, perhaps, of all time.
    I think C-hristia-NN, says it all for CNN.

March 19, 2010 at 3:38 am | Report abuse |
  5. Juanita

Christiane Amanpour is the real deal when it comes to journalism and reporting. Congratulations for a new path in her career, she has definitely earned it. Bravo Christiane!

March 19, 2010 at 3:51 am | Report abuse |
  6. Betty Macharia, Nairobi, Kenya

Congrats Amanpour!!! You are great and loved your news coverage.
    Best Wishes

March 19, 2010 at 3:52 am | Report abuse |
  7. Dave Kriss

You My Dear, are One Class Act !!! You are what Professional Journalism is all about. You will continue to go Far, because you are at the top of the journalism ladder, You made Female Journalists credible in the eyes of the world, & time and time again you have awed & amazed with your unbiased reporting & the passion which is so obvious in All your stories. I wish you the best of luck, & Look foreward to seeing you progress with your new role as Top Reporter for ABC... CNN, you have lost one of your Major assets... Good Luck Christine. We Love You !!

March 19, 2010 at 3:54 am | Report abuse |
  8. safadi mahmod massada golan heights via israel

you are one of the persones that make the cnn the most trusted and credabile channel in the globe . any way i wish u the best in every thing u do , as an arabic speaker and english and north america my passion , what ever the reasones make u leave the cnn i am sure we keep follow u beacuse u are the queen of the news channeles .
    good luck from me and best wishes

March 19, 2010 at 3:57 am | Report abuse |
  9. Sheesha Wilson

What a loss for CNN but I look forward to watching her on ABC, although via the Internet. I hope CNN continues to nurture new, young reporters as they did with Ms Amanpour, people such as Arwa Damon.
    Good luck!
    From Saudi Arabia

March 19, 2010 at 4:02 am | Report abuse |
  10. N. Rolland

Over the years she has been a great source of inspiration to me.I am sad because i live in a part of world where i will not have acces to ABC.However congratulations Christina for you have served not only CNN but humanity .May God give the grace to performe even greater in your new station.

March 19, 2010 at 4:12 am | Report abuse |
  11. Marti

Christiane,
    You are my favorite journalist. Fortunately, I can still watch you on ABC and I hope they let you continue all of your truths. I admire and God Bless.

March 19, 2010 at 4:20 am | Report abuse |
  12. Ekanem

...A true CNN legend...I can only wish her the best in her new role.

March 19, 2010 at 4:20 am | Report abuse |
  13. Robbie Robfogel

Christine has been one of the most intense broadcast journalists ever. I am happy to see her move on and up, and I am sure it was not an easy decision after all her years at CNN. Christine was one of those "ONCE IN A LIFETIME" REAL GO GET EM journalists. She made the old school, the new school of reporting!

Congratulations Chrstine, going to miss seeing you ALL the time on CNN, but my next favorite News Channel is ABC WORLD NEWS.

Break a Leg!

Robbie Robfogel
    Huntington Beach, Ca

March 19, 2010 at 4:34 am | Report abuse |
  14. Abbas

A great loss for CNN, no one can take her place in CNN, it's Amanpour only who made me wait for her great reporting and interviews.

March 19, 2010 at 4:37 am | Report abuse |
  15. Leklai Southavilay

Christine Amanpours, when I red the Topic of you, it made me so surprised. I like you the most. I am from Laos. But i like programmes the most, it's quit sad to see your leave from CNN. But you are walways in my mind. You are the best at anywhere, CNN or ABC. I really want to see you in person the most. If you have a chance to work in South East Asia, especially my Country, Laos. I would love to see you.
    Congratulation to ABC News.

You are the Best.
    I will be your audience forever for Every where,
    Thanks God Of Blessing You and Your Family.

March 19, 2010 at 4:40 am | Report abuse |