March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. ed

Best wishes on your new endevour

March 19, 2010 at 4:40 am | Report abuse |
  2. Grge

Surely the first lady of television News

March 19, 2010 at 4:47 am | Report abuse |
  3. MattGordonMD

Christiane is indeed the definitive international correspondent. I have always admired how she shows genuine respect for the people and subjects on which she reports. To this news junkie she raised the bar on what we expect from a true journalist. Every best wish to you, Christiane, and may you continue to be the voice that so many of your viewers have come to respect and admire.
    – Matt Gordon, MD

March 19, 2010 at 4:54 am | Report abuse |
  4. adyel rafie

wher ever she goes, I will continue to watch her reports

March 19, 2010 at 5:07 am | Report abuse |
  5. Kiran Nair

So Sad . We in India will miss her . So unfortunate that we cannot see or hear her. ABC News is not beamed to India.

March 19, 2010 at 5:08 am | Report abuse |
  6. Amha Zewdie

I do follow CN over the last 15 years and one of the most accliamed TV show in the world and for that larry King and the newly program of 'Amanpour' has been giving it very hige admiration..CNN has got to be frank that it is a bit disppointing for her to have left CNN at this point in time...so who will then anchor the 'Amanpour' show?

is it not a wrong timing and it would have been better,had she left with out this new show..I got to be frank CNN as well as my slef are diappointed but good for her and All best

Rgds.Amha

March 19, 2010 at 5:33 am | Report abuse |
  7. Zoski

For whatever reason you are leaving Amanpour, I know, I believe and I trust you will be sucessful. You will be trully missed.It is through you that we got to understand the world issues and crises and see them thorugh your eyes. Thank you. God bless you.

March 19, 2010 at 5:35 am | Report abuse |
  8. The Rev. Mark Bozzuti-Jones

This is wonderful. Big loss for CNN, one giant step for ABC, great proof that the American dream still lives, great boost for women journalist, terrific reminder that we can all change and move on, and a wise choice by all involved. Blessings and see you on ABC. Mark +

March 19, 2010 at 5:50 am | Report abuse |
  9. Joseph Macbride

Thank you Christiane for never sugar-coating any situation that you covered.Your grace and impartialiy...and your great good humor made you one jouralist that I trusted. There is no one better to fill the void left by the passing of David Brinkley than you Good luck at abc...Joe

March 19, 2010 at 6:03 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jazeel

Christian's professionalism is on top every time and she fully deserve the utmost respect for her service. She really earned the respect of CNN viewers world wide. Good luck on your new venture.

March 19, 2010 at 6:08 am | Report abuse |
  11. DC

This is a real loss for the viewers of CNN. Ms. Amanpour was one of the main reasons we watched CNN. Her reporting was so even-handed. She is one of the very few journalists that we classified as "trustworthy". For us, Ms Amanpour's leaving is a double loss. ABC is not available here in Germany.
    We wish Ms. Amanpour every success in her new position. As I said, she will be sorely missed by those of us who have appreciated her dedication and her work.

March 19, 2010 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
  12. Fatri Albanian

I wish you all the best Mrs. Amanpour, CNN won't be the same without you, they should have offered you whatever you asked for
    Thanks for covering all major crisis in the world (Kosovo crisis in particular), by adding your unique comments on world events.
    The last series on muslim countries, as seen by you, should serve as a bridge overlapping the huge gap between different world cultures, east and west in particular, I hope other journalists all over the world follow your example and show that diversity among world cultures should produce peace of the near future, leading the way into the Age of Aquarius.
    I wish you to achieve whatever goals that you have set for yourself in the future
    Good luck

March 19, 2010 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jim

Congrats to her and good luck. What is with all you people bringing Glenn Beck into the conversation. This story has nothing to do with him. Glenn is wildly successful, like it or not, as was Christiane, but with a different viewpoint and a different delivery. I like them both. Don't think for a second CNN wouldn't want the ratings Glenn Beck is getting.

March 19, 2010 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  14. Josef

Christiane.

Think of your international viewers!

YOU are the rarest treat in US news reporting! You UNDERSTAND the world not just US politcs.

On whose feet did you step that they "asked you to go".

It is not credible that you go by yourself. Certain "liar gangs" became too uncomfortable with you saying the truth on a global scale.

The FACE of the story does not MATCH your type of profile, Christiane!

If you depart... CNN will no longer be what was.

Best wishes, and try to get an INTERNATIONAL channel!

March 19, 2010 at 6:58 am | Report abuse |
  15. J Wehling

Ms. Amanpour, No doubt you have your reasons for leaving CNN but I can't imagine your work will be as exciting or as beneficial to others when you go to ABC. I for one think it is a bad career move, but nevertheless wish you the best.

March 19, 2010 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |