March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. Akan

Christiane Amanpour is leaving CNN? that's breaking news to me. I have admired her sense of journalism, style, ethics, dedication and committment to unbiased reporting over the years. She has always stated the facts. These days where journalism is being either a conservative or liberal, Amanpour has always been independent. I'm confident she'll continue doing her good work. If she was going to FOX, I'll be really worried that she'll get contaminated. Best of luck lady.

March 19, 2010 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
  2. jophet

Christiane is the world topmost journalist I know of, she is a combination of brain and beauty, She's always brave, frank, intelligent, and unbiased in her interviews. With her exit, I pray CNN would still be the case of "same yesterday, today and for ev........ Amanpour, I love u and belief that you would always excel in any aspect of human endeavor u find yourself even politics.

March 19, 2010 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
  3. Shyam Kirpalani

Please don't, I will miss you so much! Anyway if it is you Karma then so be it. God Bless!

March 19, 2010 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
  4. Janet

I've always thought that she was better than CNN. Glad ABC was smart enough to make an offer she couldnt refuse. Now other than Candy Crowley I have no reason to watch CNN.

March 19, 2010 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  5. Kyne

Oh damn. More quality loss for CNN. 🙁

And oh damn, more quality loss for international viewers. 🙁

And oh damn, the CNN's correspondents lose their guiding light, 🙁

I agree with a poster above, she's the C in CNN. It won't be the same without her. I always loved her style, respected her work and admired her achievements. Really, she's an exceptional person and journalist and I hope this is a step forward for her and that she'll be happy where she goes.

March 19, 2010 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  6. gbenga

most admired, courageous,daring and astute reporter of note.no doubt you've left a vaccuum in cnn but don't leaeve a vaccuum in the heart of those who admire your work of telling the story the way it is.good luck

March 19, 2010 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  7. Malachy Igwilo

I can't imagine a CNN without the voice of Christiane Amanpour. But it has beome a reality. I have watched her from Nigeria since 1990! I remain with CNN always but I can see her on ABC from here. What a pity.

March 19, 2010 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  8. Maggie

This is a huge loss for CNN. What is going on there? You keep losing the best people. Pretty soon it will be Anderson Cooper. Anyway, I wish Christianne the best in her future. I will miss her reporting immensely. She is a true professional, compassionate, and beautiful lady.

Lots of luck, Christianne!

March 19, 2010 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  9. hampster

Good move. Smart move. Your on your way to the top.

March 19, 2010 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  10. Gael

This lady certainly certainly earned her spurs as one of the best reporters in the world. Perhaps the most knowledgeable international reporters in the business.

March 19, 2010 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  11. Manyok- PA

ms Amanpour was a great reporter at CNN and i believe ABC is very lucky to have her as its reporter. Over all iam glad she is not leaving for another courntry because i america need people like you. good lucky with your endeavor at your new place

March 19, 2010 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jez

we'll be missing you a lot, really

March 19, 2010 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  13. princess

oh pls dnt go. i will trully miss u and your reporting and even the way your lips move when talking. u are trully gifted and i pray you continue to succeed in all u do.

March 19, 2010 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  14. princess

congrats to u and good luck.
    i am happy for you

March 19, 2010 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  15. Cheryl

We will miss you. We have loved watching you and learning from you. ABC's gain is CNN's loss.

March 19, 2010 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |