March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. MARY

EXCELLENT. SHE IS SO GOOD AT WHAT SHE DOES. SHE AND CANDY WILL BE MY SUNDAY MORNING SHOWS FOR SURE. THANKS, ABC

March 18, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. tonymac

Amanpour is an institution, she should have left CNN a long time ago – when they stopped being a news organization and became 'cable news'.

March 18, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ahmed Khan

I don't mind where you go but I want you keep your un-biased hard work for the audiances of the world. Congratulations for her new assignment.

-Ahmed Khan

March 18, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Fivetone

Yeah, you guys couldn't be losing someone more awesome.

I'm psyched for her, though – LOVE ME SOME CHRISTIANE!

Good luck!

March 18, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Needs

Christiane is one of those few truly rare journalistic talents. Her 27-year CNN career speaks for itself and this will be a huge loss for the network.

I look forward to her new newscast format and wish her all the best.

March 18, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mike

Best Wishes.... I am sure you will be missed at CNN....Thank you for your true professional reporting style, It is RARE....

March 18, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. monya dowdell

I will miss you. I can only hope and pray that you will be happy with this decision. You deserve the best.

March 18, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Matt

Love you, love your work, love your personality wherever you are.

March 18, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ruth Anderson

Thanks for taking us around the world with you for so many years. You are special in so many, many ways. Godspeed at ABC. I also applaud the president of CNN for expressing such well-deserved accolades–that indicates to me that he is a big person and a true professional, too. Will be looking forward to checkin in with you as you join a new team. ~Ruth

March 18, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jennifer

I'm very saddened to read that she's leaving CNN. She is by far my favorite news anchor who delivers real, unbiased news that is free of tabloid gossip or personal specualtion. Best of luck to her. I'm sure she knows several viewers will continue tio follow her on the new network.

March 18, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ed

What a loss, as all the comments above reflect, she has been universally respected and that's hard to do in Journalism and especially on the tube. We wish her the best though.

March 18, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ECR

She is truly a rare find. Truly!! You will definitely bring class to ABC.

March 18, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kenir

I watched Christiane on CNN from my school days in Belize. She is the most reliable International Correspondent ever.

Twas a real exciting time for news then, and now there are even more exciting stories to cover.

All the best to her.

March 18, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. deb

Congratulations!! CNN's loss will be felt deeply, but I admire her desire and willingness for change. I wish her all the best!!

March 18, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ERJ

your are not leaving us, we will still see you, and wanting to hear your next news assignment. all the best with abc.

March 18, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |