March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. Candi Lace

I can't wait to watch her on "This Week," which has been flat since the burnout of the Presidential election. She is a phenomenal journalist and will be powerful on any network!

March 19, 2010 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  2. Asuquo

A wonderful, commited and outstanding reporter Ms Amanpour will be miss at CNN. I wish you the best in your future assignment. please continue your good works, the world need truth, so that we can be set free, from the lies and manipulations of dictators. May God bless you and the whole world through Jesus Christ Our Lord by intercession of our Mother Mary. Amen

March 19, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  3. bill callahan

I wasn't a fan of ABC news before, I sure won't watch now. Amanpour is another terrorist apologist. She is a cool customer but not a friendly one. It is sad that we have this type of news reporter in America. The late Peter Jennings and her are two of a kind.

March 19, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. Rita

Best wishes! You are one of the best journalists of our time. CNN's loss is ABC's gain.

March 19, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  5. jack

Quite the coup for ABC. Will make it harder for many of us to keep viewing her shows overseas. I doubt the domestic U.S. audience will fully appreciate her work

March 19, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  6. jophet

Here in Nigeria, I started watching Christiane Amanpour during her coverage of the Rwanda crisis, you are really the greatest reporter of our time, any station you go to would surely become our darling station. Our love 4 u is indescribable.

March 19, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  7. Tom

One of the best international reporters ever! Very little politics and put a human face to every news event she reported on. Congratulations and good luck Christiane!!

March 19, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  8. Seyi

Becuase of christian i look forward to 9.00pm ever night.Her inerviews on the hotest world isssues are ever so indepth,pentarting and enlightening.I am sad and will miss her so much.I also wish her very well at ABC.

March 19, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  9. Augustine

What a loss for CNN. One of the best reporters I have ever followed over the years. Smart, talented, intelligent and more...! All the best to you Christiane. I hope that CNN does not lose any more good professionals. I would hate to switch channels.

March 19, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  10. Pastor Tunji Agboola

Whaoo! Christiane Amanpour will be greatly missed by many but most especially myself and my 7year old daughter Tofunmi who I regularly use the AMANPOUR discussions to teach about events and issues that goes on around the world. , I will have to find a way of breaking the news to her. I live in the city of Ibadan, Nigeria. No doubt the CNN family is a big one with highly dedicated professionals but CHRIATIANE AMANPOUR does stands out on her own , very BOLD. INTELLIGENT, UNBIASED and DECISIVE. A replacement will be difficult but no doubt CNN will not allow a vacum. I wish you well CA

March 19, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  11. Ray

Creme de la Creme of journalists. Outstanding work and you deserve it. I will miss you as
    I only watch CNN and NBC. Good luck in your future endeavours.

March 19, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  12. Brian

I'll definitely miss her on CNN ... only regret that she won't be enhancing the already superior BBC product. Every good wish to you, C.A. Your dedication and, thus, the quality of your work has never been in doubt. Keep up the excellent work!

March 19, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  13. Sasha

Just like many others I'm really happy for Christiane, but sad that I would not be able to see her on TV, as I live in Moscow. All the best for Christiane, Moscow will miss you!

March 19, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  14. deepwater don

Now, if she would only take Fareed Zaquaria and all the other "special interest" reporters with her then ABC news will become another Fox news clone. With the so called George Stephanopoulus bent on the news at ABC I have stopped watching their news at all. save, thank God, for Diane Sawyer. I wouldn't be surprised if she is considering her early departure from ABC. Might as well bring in Dana Bash and all the others from McCains failed press corp and show their true big corporation,ie, Disney,bias style of reporting.Peter Jennings must be spinning over in his grave. Shame on ABC News and any attempt at objective news coverage that anyone can believe.

March 19, 2010 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  15. Terik Ororke

What a great loss. She always filled us with insight that we could never get from other sources. This is another blow for CNN that seems to be losing so many good people.

March 19, 2010 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |