March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. Fred

She is the best........I hate to see her talent waisted at ABC.......CNN is where we all go for information.......ABC is where we all go and try to avoid commercials and gleen some information in all too short news "shows".

March 19, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  2. Ron L. Burch Jr

I think it is wonderful to have her coming to ABC News as I have watch her over the
    years at CNN I think she will bring Zing and Freshness to This Week I look forward to
    watching her on Sunday's on This Week with Christiane Amanpour sounds real nice!

March 19, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  3. RLW

i remember when JFK, JR, died, Christiane was interviewed and she said that they were in college together, they knew each other, hang out with the same crowd, and became good friends. when i bought my first computer back in 1990, it came with a world history CD and it contained stories from the past up to that present time. Miss Amanpour had many reporting assignments on that CD, and she was superb. the point i'm trying to make here is that she has been around a long time, has done excellent work, and she is a very unique person. as someone else on this post has said, she is the C in CNN. good luck to you Miss Amanpour; i know that you will be great.

March 19, 2010 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  4. mari

I will miss her, but happy if that is her wish. Unfortunately I think the news and business shows cannot afford to keep the best people. Since getting satellite radio and now TV i rarely watch local channels. most are junk without the ability to see a variety of news/busines/political shows at one time . I love the ability to jump over from one to another when not glued to a show such as her's

March 19, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mr. Williams

This Week just got me back. ABC made a great choice.

First Diane Sawyer and now this. I might have to completely switch to ABC for my news fix.

March 19, 2010 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  6. Elizabeth

How can CNN let her go?? Create a better news program with her in it you fools!!! Talk about letting gold slip through your fingers!! Christiane is a trail blazer. When she delivers the news you just know it is fact devoid of sensationalism. Will tune into ABC for sure!

March 19, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  7. Ed

I like the way she does the documentaries, i hope that this change is for the best!!!!!
    but i will still keep CNN on...!!

March 19, 2010 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  8. Laurie Anne

I'm sorry to hear that Christiane is leaving CNN. But at the same I congratulate her on her new job. What a great woman, journalist & correspondent. Her great courage & determination are an example to us all. And her straight forwardness. I won't be able to follow her that much now but I'm sure she'll do a great job. Lucky ABC News, I say. God bless you Christiane & I hope that the future is all that you wish for.

March 19, 2010 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  9. Aaron

Your professionalism and intergrity shines a light across the globe and you are loved by many who have grown to admire your presentations in Journalism. What an outstanding and great person that you are! I love CNN and hate to see you go because your international viewers will miss you. ABC is a great next place to be and you made the right decission and I thank God that you not going to fox. I will be watching you on ABC!!!!!!

March 19, 2010 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  10. Josephine

"Bittersweet" i'd say. Bitter and sad because she's leaving CNN, which is a platform we have to gain insight into global events and occurences; and sweet because she's going for something she's thrilled about and wants and that makes us happy. She has become a trusted name in international television. We'll miss her and i speak for those of us in other countries (Africa, etc) who have no access to ABC where we could watch her.

March 19, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  11. Alan Hurley

Christiane, congratulations on the new job and I wish you well. That said, you will be truly missed as CNN is my main source of news. You are one of the very best in the business and have always made me feel very comfortable that you have done all the research necessary to support your reporting. Thank you!

March 19, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  12. Rosanne

Congratulations and Good Luck! I will miss you and the new specials.

March 19, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  13. Carol

Can't picture C.A. on another news Ch.! I'll have to look up ABC 's Ch. to watch her. Good luck Christie!

March 19, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  14. Ingrid Heidrun Carlier

It;s so sad. since I live on Germany, I can get CNN but no other US Netweork, and I followed christiane from the beginning. Hope we'll meet again. Thanks for the memories! Heidi

March 19, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  15. paul

Quality presentation in all her coverage.. She's too good.

March 19, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |