March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. Mary Beth

CNN and our loss!as viewers! It will be a sad day. Truely one of the best reporters ever!

March 19, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  2. Stanley

I really think that Ms. Amanpour was the absolute best thing on CNN.
    I am happy that she is going. Because I really think that she can do better than CNN.
    I travel the entire world and I get my news form the Other big international news channel from the UK.
    I feel that CNN is news "Dumbed Down" but I guess that you have to consider where it is coming from and who it is for.
    I wish Ms Amanpour much success for her future.
    She is an incredibly talented woman and comes off as being very genuine.

March 19, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  3. Adem

I would say Christiane was the reason I would watch CNN for unbiased news media. She is truly a hero for telling facts across the globe...................She will be greatly missed..and I wish her the best of luck..

March 19, 2010 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  4. robin

she is a true professional and a tribute to journalism... Although she will be missed at CNN I wish her the very best of luck on her new endeavour at ABC..

March 19, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  5. James Kilgore

Fantastic correspondent. Always enlightens her listerners with insightful information. She brings credibility in a "instant newsworld" where selling a story is paramount. I felt she stood out from others and gave time and depth to her stories. Hope to continue to see great journalism from her in the future.

March 19, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  6. John DeOliveira

I live in Portugal and she was ome of my favourites reporters
    As a I-Reporter, I always felt some pride to contribute work for the same news organization as she worked for.
    Her honesty, professionalism and the knowledge of to be always on top of the World news puts her in the same league, as Walter Cronkite, Edward Morllow, Brinlky, Chanceler or any greats of the international news media.
    It shows with no doubt that CNN is loosing a great journalist and ABC is going to gain a lot on the ratings.
    Chris Amanpour GOOD LUCK

March 19, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jane

Congradulations Christiane on your move to ABC. I have enjoyed and respected your CNN reports which are second to none. I will miss you on CNN but will certainly watch you on ABC. Best wishes for continued success and happiness which you richly deserve.

March 19, 2010 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  8. Elms

What loss ....she's not even making any ratings at all...I really love FOX!
    have a nice day!

March 19, 2010 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  9. DianD

I wish her the best and I'm glad that of all the networks it was ABC who gave her this opprtunity. CNN has been fortunate to have had her as an anchor and correspondent. She has brought the network much sought-after international prestige, I hope they can find someone as outstanding as Christiane. We will be following her, her new audience will be very pleased.

March 19, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  10. Chris

Christiane will make a perfect fit for ABC with her blatant pro-palestine bias. I wish her all the bset.

March 19, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  11. Albert Lombardo

This division is a great loss both to Christiane and CNN. The reason and facts of why still exists, however we will be watching you both.
    Owl Lombardo

March 19, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  12. Orville Boutilier

She has been the standard by which I measure all journalists. I want to thank her for the hard work despite the dangers, and the world is a more informed place because of her. All the best to her in her new venture.

March 19, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  13. Dan

I hope Ms. Amanpour can bring her journalisitc professionalism to This Week. This Week has fallen to the depths of Washington political cess pool. The program no longer informs or enlightens. I'm really surprised that she would take the job. CNN position was so much better. I'm not sure the new job was a step up or she stepped in it.

March 19, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  14. Bob Ritchie

Christiane has done a great service to the profession of journalism which is in sore need of quality and integrity. She has both in huge quantity. Comment #1 goes to the heart of the matter; she is indeed in the Edward R. Morrow league! I won't miss her, just have to tune to another channel. Easy solution.

March 19, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  15. Don Harvey

If I had to rank true journalist over the year Christiane, you are the best! You have the guts of Edward R Murrow, the go get um' of Peter Jennings, the calm storm of Ted Kopel, the push of Barbara Walters and sincerity and humility of Diane Sawyer. And somehow, you are still in a catagory of your own....' Nobody does it better!' Thank you for all your years of doing the 'hard-stuff' at CNN. I know that you will give no less at ABC, your viewers demands it and you are always up to the challenge.... the 'public has a right to know.' If I had to go back to journalism school all over again and you were a professor, I would not have graduated without doing you class. You are a JOURNALIST not just by profession but by passion. I not only follow your different broadcast segments, I have a deep admiration for your work. Some of your viewer are disappointed that you are leaving CNN for ABC, I am just happy you are still on air, I am confident knowing that someone still dears to ask the hard questions.

All the best to you.